Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 181 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Dec 2003
    My friend left me a message last night to let me know he was walking home in the snow in some freak lake effect snow storm in Buffalo. I turned on the t.v. this morning and it looks like they got anywheres from 1 to 2 feet. Earliest lake effect storm ever. I remember it snowing around halloween sometimes, but the 12th? I miss the snow.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    My friend left me a message last night to let me know he was walking home in the snow in some freak lake effect snow storm in Buffalo. I turned on the t.v. this morning and it looks like they got anywheres from 1 to 2 feet. Earliest lake effect storm ever. I remember it snowing around halloween sometimes, but the 12th? I miss the snow.
    I just heard on the radio that a 20 exit stretch of the NY State Thruway from Rochester to Buffalo is now closed due to the lake effect snowfall!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    Earliest lake effect storm ever. I remember it snowing around halloween sometimes, but the 12th? I miss the snow.
    I heard on CNN that Tom Jolls was stuck on the Thruway between Rochester and Buffalo!

There's absolutely nothing on the ground in Cleveland, even in the snowbelt around Geauga County. There was a little bit of hail yesterday, but that was it. It's sunny and clear, although a bit chilly; I turned on the furnace for the first time this year.

Early Snow

So is this lake effect snow a by-product of global warming? And what caused the massive meltdown of the ice caps 10,000 years ago? And why haven't we broken all records the weather bureau has recorded over the last 100 years?

I grew up in the Boston area and have lived around the country.......we have bad winters in the northeast in the 60's & 70's, but nobody yelled GLOBAL COOLING! And my grandparents tell me about the iceflows at Revere Beach in the 20's & 30's........how do we rationalize these events?

Anyway, anyone going to Corpus for the Texas APA next week? If so, see ya there!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Weird going from a Freeze Warning to a Red Flag Warning.

EDIT:
    Sure to make the Cyburbian Ski Team very happy -

Arapahoe Basin Opens U.S. Ski Season
    from the AP Wire:
    http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...orld-headlines
    Last edited by JNA; 13 Oct 2006 at 5:21 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by johnelsden View post
    we have bad winters in the northeast in the 60's & 70's, but nobody yelled GLOBAL COOLING!
    Yes there was people yelling about the catastrophic effects of Global Cooling and how this could bring many species to extinction and all the same alarmist BS you hear from the Global Warming fearmongers that coincidentally were the same that were yelling about global cooling... oh the twists of life! Greenpeace goes from "Global Cooling is going to kill us all" to "Global Warming is going to kill us all!!!" in 20 years. Sure the transition from a little ice age (1800s) to a warm age (2100s probably) is probably over, but since climate is esentially cyclic there's not much to worry about...

Now back to weather... today we had a lovely spring shower that lasted the entire freaking day, it was like winter here... I had been used to having 25ºC every day...and today it didn't even get to 15 Damn El Niño!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

24 Plus Inches In Michigan

Parts of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan were not immune from the mid-October snowfall. The little town of Twin Lakes, a few miles south of Houghton, had more than 24" of snow on the ground. Snowmobile enthusiasts were already in the area, riding their machines.

Same as Buffalo.....lake effect snow. Twin Lakes is at a high elevation so it really dumps it at that locale.

The Weather Channel had a traveling reporter standing in Twin Lakes during the heavy snow. Cool!

No power outages, though. Probably because most leaves would be OFF the trees at locations that far north. The Buffalo storm knocked out so much power because the trees still had leaves, creating a pile of wet snow on a tree that would bring it (or major branches) down.

Here in NW Ohio we had about a 5-minute "blizzard". Near white-out conditions for a very short time, then the sun came back out. We are, truly, "the bananna belt".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Fall has arrived in the panhandle, too. Under mostly sunny skies, it's currently 53 degrees but it's expected to reach a high of 80 today.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Fall has arrived in the panhandle, too. Under mostly sunny skies, it's currently 53 degrees but it's expected to reach a high of 80 today.
    It was cooler and breezy here, too. Nice. The front yard was full of cardinals when I went out for the paper. The cats were all lined up in the front window watching them.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quite a chilly evening here. Lot's of wind. San Francisco was chilly one moment this afternoon, warm the next.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    84 d. today. Sheesh, if I'd known the kid was gonna crap out on going out to buy new shoes, I'd have been on the patio all day with a book and a margarita!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tornado watch here for the next four hours.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Why can't we get a multi foot blizzard like Colorado... Geeeze.. Z-man gets all the luck.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Why can't we get a multi foot blizzard like Colorado... Geeeze.. Z-man gets all the luck.
    Blizzard was about 95 miles south of me. I got a light dusting that has long since melted (like melted YESTERDAY). Shut down my Folks' area of Denver though.

A week ago a drove through a sunny and dry Utah (hear that, Cololi? ) into a wintery and snow-logged Colorado
    In fact, I made it over Vail Pass on Interstate 70 before it closed.

But if any Texans read this, all the snow went to Utah. Please take your winter ski vacation there.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Tornado watch here for the next four hours.
    I think that's the system that's moving down here late tonight and tomorrow morning. Of course, tomorrow morning is when we're holding a 3-hour event on two of our trails. Windy, thunderstorms, and highs about 20 degrees lower than today's high. Dang.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I think that's the system that's moving down here late tonight and tomorrow morning. Of course, tomorrow morning is when we're holding a 3-hour event on two of our trails. Windy, thunderstorms, and highs about 20 degrees lower than today's high. Dang.
    The watch turned into a warning for about 30 minutes this afternoon. A tornado touched down about 15 miles west of my house moving to the NE at 35 mph.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The watch turned into a warning for about 30 minutes this afternoon. A tornado touched down about 15 miles west of my house moving to the NE at 35 mph.
    Well, perhaps it is time to log off the computer? RJ, you are a Nutbar.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Well, perhaps it is time to log off the computer? RJ, you are a Nutbar.
    They're getting alot of tornadoes. Last weekend when I was there, one touched down a few miles from RJ's place, but we didn't know it until the next day. Whew. Sometimes it's best not to know!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Friday In NW Ohio

For anybody who gives a rat's bunion.....weather here in NW Ohio the last 24 or so hours has been low 40's with steady and cold rain. My garage painting job remains a procrastinator's wet dream.

Next week for Halloween they are talking high 50's and no rain. Good for the tricksters......won't matter to us.....Loma Linda's for cocktails during treat time.

Scrooge McBear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's getting chilly in NJ....at least to me it is. Guess we have a fierce storm rolling in tonight and spending the weekend with us. I'm going to be parked on the couch watching the Rutgers game on the telly and not braving the cold, wind, and rain at the stadium.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We got about 3 inches of snow last night... it was beautiful to wake up to. It's been slowly melting all day, but we still have a couple of inches on the ground/in trees. Probably have some icicles tomorrow.

It snows every year a few days before Halloween and then melts the next week. It's funny to see the kids running around in costumes with winter jackets on top.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Perfect weather here in Central Florida. It lasts a very short time. Saturday was breezy with the humidty a little lower and in the high 70's, low 80s.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Hey lp, you still with us or did you get blown into the Alantic? I saw that the northeast got some pretty severe winds.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    77 degrees here yesterday and in the 70's today...hope it holds out through tommorrow night!! Last few years have been cold and rainy on Halloween...the boys are SO looking forward to it.
    I am sure this is the last of nice Missouri weather...it all goes downhill from here

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sunny with a high of 78 today. More of the same tomorrow. Wish it would rain on those brats.

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 181 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 24 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 8:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161