Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 187 of 195 FirstFirst ... 177 186 187 188 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,675 of 4866

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    December 7. Our first real snow of the year. There's an inch on the ground this morning and we're slated to get a couple more by Saturday. Winter is (un)oficially here.

Please note that snow on the ground in early December is charming and picturesque. One can hear sleigh bells in the distance and around every corner is a winter scene worthy of a Currier & Ives print.
    Ask folks how they feel about snow in February and you're likely to get a different answer..
    The weather guy is claiming that we will see snow flakes this weekend... Personally, I would not mind seeing snowflakes close to Christmas as long as I have a stocked fridge and no where to go. I can drive in the snow but there are tons of people here who can't.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I can drive in the snow but there are tons of people absolutely freakin' NOBODY else here can.
    There, I fixed it for you. Bear in mind I have some experience with winter driving in your neck of the woods. Roads would get jammed up, folks would careen off the road, and accident pileups would occur every other mile or so with a mere inch of snow. The only people who didn't seem bent on the destruction of their companions on the road were the folks with out of state plates from places like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or New York.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    There, I fixed it for you. Bear in mind I have some experience with winter driving in your neck of the woods. Roads would get jammed up, folks would careen off the road, and accident pileups would occur every other mile or so with a mere inch of snow. The only people who didn't seem bent on the destruction of their companions on the road were the folks with out of state plates from places like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, or New York.
    I was stranded in NC after a snow and ice event. I won’t even call it a storm. The TV stations only showed Myrtle Beach weather, and I had no idea what was happening north of where I was so that I could plan my drive from there. They plowed the roads with a grader.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I was stranded in NC after a snow and ice event. I won’t even call it a storm. The TV stations only showed Myrtle Beach weather, and I had no idea what was happening north of where I was so that I could plan my drive from there. They plowed the roads with a grader.
    Yes, let me hasten to add that the winter driving thing is not just a 'people down south are morons and people up north know what they're doing' thing. There are compelling reasons why a small snow event causes big problems down south. One, because snow events are relatively rare, there is reluctance to budget for snow removal equipment (and end up with road graders trying to do the job) or budget for things like salt and salt storage facilities. Also, it's not southern drivers fault that they have little or no experience with winter driving. Heck, the first snow or two up north often finds a RE-learning curve as even experienced drivers are reminded to increase breaking distances and do things like steer into the direction of a fishtail skid.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Re: Snow in The South - During the MLK weekend of 1999 we had a pretty good "snowstorm" when I lived on Lejeune and we received maybe 4 or 5 inches. There on the coast, it warmed up just enough pretty quickly and the snow was gone by the next day but closer to Raleigh, where they had received around a foot of snow, the temps didn't get up above freezing for quite a while and the communities just didn't have the infrastructure or equipment to deal with it. I remember watching the morning news each day and seeing that schools stayed closed for the entire week.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Yes, let me hasten to add that the winter driving thing is not just a 'people down south are morons and people up north know what they're doing' thing. There are compelling reasons why a small snow event causes big problems down south. One, because snow events are relatively rare, there is reluctance to budget for snow removal equipment (and end up with road graders trying to do the job) or budget for things like salt and salt storage facilities. Also, it's not southern drivers fault that they have little or no experience with winter driving. Heck, the first snow or two up north often finds a RE-learning curve as even experienced drivers are reminded to increase breaking distances and do things like steer into the direction of a fishtail skid.
    I'd agree with what you said. We don't have the equipment and further south you get, the less chance there is of getting snow. We are supposed to get some spitting snow, no accumulation. It's been 6-7 years since the last snow, though we had ice a couple of years back.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    The weather gas gone from clear to overcast fairly quickly. The sky looks very wintry indeed, but snow showers are not in the forecast until Saturday. I love wintry skies.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    ...and then colder on Friday with a chance of something called "snow" (I think that's the term the weatherpeople are using - not too sure what that is, though).
    Quick bit of sleet right at sunrise this morning, and now nothing, although the edge of a band of light snow looks to be about two miles from here.

Nice backtracking. Did you steer into it?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

In the plaza we can build a snowman... ♫ ♪

This article is amusing, and the photo of the Alamo is just great.

Registered
    Feb 2004

What is windchill really?

This morning it was 19 out and with the wind chill it was 4. I've said it before, but I would much rather experience the 4 degree temp with no wind than experience the warmer 19 WITH the wind. Does anyone feel otherwise?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Rain has turned to a wintry mix turned now to snow. Nothing sticking...yet, but I think there'll be an inch or so when I wake up in the morning.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Snow has ended now & we have 3" on the ground. Very wet stuff as the temp stayed @ 34 all morning.
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Snow has ended now & we have 3" on the ground. Very wet stuff as the temp stayed @ 34 all morning.
    6.5" on the ground in north central metro Atlanta come Saturday morning, and we probably had areas in the yard that were closer to 10". Should get up to 50 degrees today with bright sun, and stay above freezing overnight. Roads were fine yesterday - for once we did not get the inch-thick layer of ice we usually get with snow in Georgia.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

We ended up with 5-5 1/2 inches here. It was mostly gone on Saturday.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    - for once we did not get the inch-thick layer of ice we usually get with snow in Georgia.
    If this had been a February snow and the temp stayed below freezing, we would have had the ice layer and been sliding all off the streets, schools would be closed for a week, et cetera. BTW-most bread was gone Friday evening at the local grocery store. This snow was very wet since the temp hovered around freezing while it came down and over night. Sledding was no good at all.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    This weekend I made a last minute trip to Philadelphia with my FIL to go to the Army/Navy game. It snowed and it was miserable. The temps weren't too cold (maybe about 25º) and I was dressed fine for it but it was thick, heavy, wet snow and just not pleasant. At least we weren't in Buffalo for the Bills/Colts game on Sunday. That one looked like they were playing somewhere on Hoth. I was watching some of that game on TV and kept expecting to see somebody ride out on to the field on a Tauntaun.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2003
    I caught the second half of the Colts-Bills game Sunday after watching IU lose in OT in the College Cup.

It was one of the most interesting bad games I've ever seen. The snow was 8" deep, not some dusting to an inch stuff. Stadium personnel periodically used snow blowers to clear the yard lines and hash marks. Teams could barely throw the ball and so running backs LeSean McCoy and Frank Gore (the ageless one) had monster games. Yet, it was a remarkable pass play that set up the winning TD. Wow.

No offense to our Great Leader, but I thought the offensive pass interference call on the 2-point conversion try was a ticky-tacky call. Still, I'm happy the Bills kept some playoff hopes alive with the "W".

Anybody remember the Fog Bowl between the Iggles and the Bears? That was a wild game, too.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The forecast is calling for somewhere between 5" and 9" of snow here today starting around 10:00 a.m. with the heaviest coming during the evening commute home. Since they are calling for between 5" and 9", it means we will likely get either 0.5" or about a foot and a half. I'm expecting to be closer to the 0.5" of the spectrum.

That said, my snow brush and ice scraper broke last winter (it fell out of my Jeep in the garage and I must have drove over it) so I stopped by the grocery store on my way to work to buy a new one. The store was very busy at 7:00 a.m. with people stocking up. You'd think we've never had snow here in Metro Detroit.

I'm also hoping that if it really does start coming down hard during the afternoon, I'm hoping my employer will decide to allow us to leave early. In my 10+ years here, we've never had an official closing of the office because of the weather. Maybe today's the day?

Also if we get a lot of snow I told my daughter I'd take her sledding when I get home. She's decided that this year she's old enough to go to the big sledding hill in the town next door. I half expect her to get there and get to the top of the hill and chicken out.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    So we ended up with about 8 inches of fluffy snow for Christmas. I shoveled two driveways and can feel it today.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Got another inch or two of white fluffy stuff. Also, it was -2 this morning.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Got another inch or two of white fluffy stuff. Also, it was -2 this morning.
    -13 here. Ugh.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Isn't there somebody on here from Jamestown, NY - not far from Erie, PA where they just got slammed with nearly 5' of snow since Christmas Eve?
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We got a couple inches over Christmas, but the roads are all clear now. It's a nice 11 degrees so we're all complaining.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    -1 degree wind chill - brrrrrr !

+ Reply to thread
Page 187 of 195 FirstFirst ... 177 186 187 188 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread