Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 190 of 195 FirstFirst ... 180 189 190 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,726 to 4,750 of 4866

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Today we should get close to 60 degrees. This weekend will be a complete washout without dry weather until Wednesday.

Now where's my snorkel?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Our snow started falling early early this morning and we've got about 3 or 4 inches so far. It's supposed to keep coming down until the early afternoon. We don't really have any wind or anything so it's not blowing or drifting. Schools started announcing their closures yesterday evening. The roads were absolutely empty on the way in this morning.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The temps have been up in the 40s and 50s for the past few days (and we reached about 65º yesterday!) but we've been getting quite a bit of rain. All that combined with a 12+" of melting snow and the still frozen ground and drains mean we have quite a bit of flooding in the area. I went for a run on a trail along a river that runs through town this morning and the water was really high and moving fast. Thankfully, the river in that spot always seems to move pretty well so the trail may get muddy, but it never completely floods. I'm always worried I'll start running down the trail and get halfway through it and then find it impassable so I'd have to turn around and backtrack out the entire distance (though it's really not that long, I just hate to backtrack).

There were a lot of roads closed due to flooding in Metro Detroit this morning.

Yesterday at lunch I was driving through an area with a lot of small lakes and with the high temps and ice still on the lakes the fog was very thick and just sitting there on top of the lakes. It was sort of eerie looking.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2003
    The Ohio River is in flood stage and we are forecast to add another 4-6" of rain over the next couple days. Flood gates are being installed and pump stations are going on-line. It shouldn't get too bad so long as we don't get some heavy rain training over us.

This is the first extended wet period since I bought my house and I was somewhat surprised to see my yard quite as squishy as it is. I'll have to see how the yard recovers before I evaluate possible responses, all of which will probably just move the problem from one part of my yard to another.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Does the sun exist anymore?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Does the sun exist anymore?
    Just had roughly 90 seconds of sunshine - now it's all gray again.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    The Ohio River is in flood stage and we are forecast to add another 4-6" of rain over the next couple days. Flood gates are being installed and pump stations are going on-line. It shouldn't get too bad so long as we don't get some heavy rain training over us.

This is the first extended wet period since I bought my house and I was somewhat surprised to see my yard quite as squishy as it is. I'll have to see how the yard recovers before I evaluate possible responses, all of which will probably just move the problem from one part of my yard to another.
    I don't know where in the Ohio River Valley you are but there's probably still a lot of frost in the ground at this point in February so that's likely contributing to a lot of the squishiness. Other than moving to higher ground or digging a large trench around your property, there probably isn't really too much you can do for that as it will probably occur every spring.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Just had roughly 90 seconds of sunshine - now it's all gray again.
    ...and the sun is back out, which, of course, means that it has started raining again,
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I don't know where in the Ohio River Valley you are but there's probably still a lot of frost in the ground at this point in February so that's likely contributing to a lot of the squishiness. Other than moving to higher ground or digging a large trench around your property, there probably isn't really too much you can do for that as it will probably occur every spring.
    Let's just say it was 80' here yesterday, so there's been no frost in the area for quite some time. I just want to get the water farther away from my foundation, if I need to.
    Not valid without corporate seal

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The temp fell from like 70 to 40 in a matter of hours yesterday afternoon and we had pretty crazy thunderstorms and heavy rain. Today, it’s in the 30s, but supposed to go back into the 60s by the weekend on into next week. Lot of rain in the forecast. We need it though...it’s been a very dry fall and winter. The ground is so dry that the rainwater is just like ponding on top.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2007
    It feels like winter is fizzling out here in Detroit. The temps were in the 50s all weekend and, looking forward, it doesn't appear we will fall below about 45º during the day for the foreseeable future. More importantly, it feels and smells like spring outside which isn't always the case this time of year even when the temps are warm. We need a few big rainstorms to wash away all the dust and salt.

In related news, my tulips and hyacinths are starting to pop out of the ground but I don't see any crocuses or daffodils yet (though mine seemed to be dying off last spring and I think I may need to plant more this fall).

Even though flowers are starting to pop up, this is always my least favorite time of year because everything is so grey and dirty and dusty. Thankfully at least the sun is shining today.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It feels like winter is fizzling out here in Detroit. The temps were in the 50s all weekend and, looking forward, it doesn't appear we will fall below about 45º during the day for the foreseeable future. More importantly, it feels and smells like spring outside which isn't always the case this time of year even when the temps are warm. We need a few big rainstorms to wash away all the dust and salt.

In related news, my tulips and hyacinths are starting to pop out of the ground but I don't see any crocuses or daffodils yet (though mine seemed to be dying off last spring and I think I may need to plant more this fall).

Even though flowers are starting to pop up, this is always my least favorite time of year because everything is so grey and dirty and dusty. Thankfully at least the sun is shining today.
    The sun has not shone more than one time in the past 21 days....until this morning. All of a sudden I noticed it's light in the morning during my commute in.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    The sun has not shone more than one time in the past 21 days....until this morning. All of a sudden I noticed it's light in the morning during my commute in.
    Ah yes, the infamous grey days. One of the many things I do not miss about living up north
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    55 degrees not a cloud in the sky, calm winds. Easiest the nicest day of the year.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Ohio River flooding

Registered
    Feb 2004
    lots of flooding up here too.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Ohio River flooding
    lots of flooding up here too.
    Same here. And many landslides.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    It was 60º the last few days. We're expecting 6+ of wet heavy snow today.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Been following the Beast from the East. I have friends in both England and Ireland who are totally FREAKING OUT

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It was 60º the last few days. We're expecting 6+ of wet heavy snow today.
    They said the same thing here. Turns out we got maybe an inch of really wet snow (2" flakes!) that's already gone. I'm guessing that was the second to the last snow we see for the season. I bet we get one more and it won't stick around for more than a day or two.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013
    Anyone else in the mid-Atlantic area experiencing the crazy wind storm we're having? It started last night, and is supposed to continue into tomorrow morning. I have no idea how to describe it really. Just really strong winds. Schools in the area have closed. Our office has power, but nothing else around (even the businesses right beside us) does. We've had a ton of rain, and with the heavy winds, power lines are going down, trees, etc. I walked out of the house to see the neighbors disassembling a trampoline that had been picked up by the wind. It would've hit my car if there wasn't a church sign about 20 feet away that ended up stopping it.

Registered
    May 2002
    Yeah, this wind is pretty relentless. Many, many gust over 60 mph. Lots of debris everywhere and many trees and wires down.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Mar 2007
    They said the same thing here. Turns out we got maybe an inch of really wet snow (2" flakes!) that's already gone. I'm guessing that was the second to the last snow we see for the season. I bet we get one more and it won't stick around for more than a day or two.
    We got about 5" of really heavy snow at our house, a few miles north near my office we probably got more than 8" and it was near whiteout conditions a few times in the afternoon when I was looking out the office windows. It stopped snowing early enough, and the roads were still warm enough, that the crews were able to clear things soon enough that there aren't many school closures today considering how much snow we got.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Wind noise woke me up @ 4:00 this morning...followed by a series of sirens on the main road. Our electric crews were already out on calls this morning before 7:00 am.

Careful kjel, TT, dandy, LP, NH, Fearless Leader Dan and the rest of you northeast cyburbians today.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Wind noise woke me up @ 4:00 this morning...followed by a series of sirens on the main road. Our electric crews were already out on calls this morning before 7:00 am.

Careful kjel, TT, dandy, LP, NH, Fearless Leader Dan and the rest of you northeast cyburbians today.
    Wind blew my basement door open and set off the alarm, and we are in the "below 40 mph" area.

+ Reply to thread
Page 190 of 195 FirstFirst ... 180 189 190 191 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 1:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161