Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 163 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I took off yesterday because my oldest didn't have school due to the snow. City Hall closed at noon and I still had to waste a whole day of vacation
    I could undeterstand if I had planned to take the entire day off as a "real" vacation day but I had to due to lack of sitter at the last minute....I think I should only have to take 1/2 day....bu tthats the way it works....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    We're open, but postponed tonight's Planning Board meeting due to the storm. I'm probably outta here by noon, before the driving gets worse.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jun 2003
    At work but schools are off - unplowed county roads.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    As expected, Toledo's home county, Lucas County, went into a Level 3 Snow Emergency at 4:30 AM, Wednesday, 2-14-07. That level means that if you are on the road you will be arrested, unless you have a reason such as medical, essential personnel at a facility, member of news media, government employee mandated to report to work, etc.

*snip*

I will probably stir up many of you.....I have a problem (I do practice "Libertarianish" views) with Level 3. If I want to go out I should be able to go out.

Wow, even up here in Canuckistan we don't have anything that restrictive for snow emergencies. Bear, I agree with you - you should be able to go out if you want. However, you should be responsible all costs involved if EMS has to rescue your ass.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Wow, even up here in Canuckistan we don't have anything that restrictive for snow emergencies. Bear, I agree with you - you should be able to go out if you want. However, you should be responsible all costs involved if EMS has to rescue your ass.
    Totally agree. If I am stoopid enough to wander out in a blizzard (for no good reason) I should have to pay those costs.

This same debate takes place on western Lake Erie every January and February. Ice fishermen head out on the lake, usually a few miles off shore. Once in a while a steady wind will break ice away from being connected to the shore, so all of these ice fishermen are "floating" on a slab of ice, often about a square mile in size or more. Helicopters from the Coast Guard....and special boats (like rubber rafts).....rescue these dudes.

Later in the same day, the Coast Guard is out rescuing the SAME guys, for the same reason. Mister Walleye and Mister Perch have beckoned them back onto the ice.

The word now is that if they are rescued twice, they pay.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Totally agree. If I am stoopid enough to wander out in a blizzard (for no good reason) I should have to pay those costs.

This same debate takes place on western Lake Erie every January and February. Ice fishermen head out on the lake, usually a few miles off shore. Once in a while a steady wind will break ice away from being connected to the shore, so all of these ice fishermen are "floating" on a slab of ice, often about a square mile in size or more. Helicopters from the Coast Guard....and special boats (like rubber rafts).....rescue these dudes.

Later in the same day, the Coast Guard is out rescuing the SAME guys, for the same reason. Mister Walleye and Mister Perch have beckoned them back onto the ice.

The word now is that if they are rescued twice, they pay.

Bear
    Do they have a 'punch card' system to facilitate this? ("Say, Buddy you look familiar, didn't I pick you up off an ice flow near xxxx around 9:00 this morning? Lemme see your card.....")
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2002
    It is snowing like crazy here - the first significant storm of the winter season, strangely enough. I am glad I can work (with occasional Cyburbia and snack breaks) from home. This'll also give me some time to prepare a nice Valentine's Day dinner for us -- though if my SO is forced to stay at work all day, he will come home grumpy and will have to dig out the driveway tonight.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahhh....

65 degrees and climbing.....slight breeze.....sunny.....Ahhhh.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wind Chill -
    0 F or -18C
    Oddball

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Finally our 1st measureable snowfall.
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2003

Finally Above Freezing

NW Ohio finally went above freezing today, President's Day (do they have "Dictator's Day" in Chile? ). Temperature reached 40F. First time above 32F in 24 days. Most of those days the temp was below 20F, and there were numerous below zero F days in that period. Quite the cold snap.

Forecasts for this week.....more normal temps for mid-to-late February, with temps near 40F most days (except Tuesday).

Here come 'da melt !!!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Had 2 inches of snow on Saturday; now the forecast for today and rest of the week is in the 50's.
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2003

Ice Storm

NW Ohio is right in the path of a major ice storm, scheduled to slide through the lower Great Lakes this weekend and into Monday. Oh, goodie.

Those that have been through ice storms know that a good old fashioned heavy snow or blizzard is a lot more fun. Ice storms suxx.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Weird day in central FL. We needed a jacket in the shade, but the sun was really really hot. Guess it was the wind that made the difference. You Yankees would have probably pronounced it balmy and worn shorts!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    You Yankees would have probably pronounced it balmy and worn shorts!
    Its been in the 40's here this week, and my teenaged boys have been wearing shorts all week. I gave up trying to tell them it is still to cold. If that is the only dumb thing they do, I'll be lucky.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    We're in disaster mode. We have about 1/3 of the urban area without power and most of the rural area as well. The EOC is active and the state has called. Fortunatly I have power at home. Town looks like a tornado hit with the trees down. Sometimes street trees really suck.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    We're in disaster mode. We have about 1/3 of the urban area without power and most of the rural area as well. The EOC is active and the state has called. Fortunatly I have power at home. Town looks like a tornado hit with the trees down. Sometimes street trees really suck.
    Not much better here up 61 a bit. The fool me tried to get to my band gig in Champaign yesterday. I got to Woodhull and turned back.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Is that from the snowstorm I've been reading about?

The snowstorms up there seem like the hurricanes here 3 years ago, you just keep getting one after another.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh crap. Take care, giff. Many of us know what you're going through. Activating the EOC is never fun.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 2003
    The news said it would snow today at 2 and sure enough it started shortly before then.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    It's snowing in Jersey! (This is my daughter)

"He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Holy bejebus. This is going to be a bumpy night on the panhandle according to the NWS radar. It's coming. Me neighbor's tree went thru Ivan...please make it thru tonight without hitting my house.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    It's coming.
    How many times did they say that during the movie "Twister"? Ack.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Holy bejebus.
    Rumpy left you his religious legacy??

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    hey - we are supposed to get a foot here today - well on the way -

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Blizzard du jour is letting up. Schools and Interstates closed. I'm at work.
    Winter sucks.

+ Reply to thread
Page 21 of 163 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 1:33 PM