Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 163 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Just super, super windy here...tornado warnings yesterday morning but nothing came of it...rest of the day, night and this morning very gusty winds....

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Schools are actually in session here, but there is a blowing snow advisory. I took the back highway to work, instead of the interstate. Too many fools driving fast on the interstate and ending up in ditches. I am a nervous winter driver, even though I never experienced any bad winter accidents. Just ended up in a ditch a couple times due to black ice. But, it was white-out conditions this morning and I could barely tell if I was still on the road. Right now I can barely see the tree that is only about 30 feet outside my window. I can't wait until winter is over .

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Official observations right now

Light Snow Fog/Mist and Windy

27F
    (-3C)
    Humidity: 89 %
    Wind Speed: W 36 G 48 MPH
    Barometer: 29.09" (985.5 mb)
    Dewpoint: 24F (-4C)
    Wind Chill: 10F (-12C)
    Visibility: 0.75 mi.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Overcast so I missed the Lunar Eclipse. maybe to far west ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Overcast so I missed the Lunar Eclipse. maybe to far west ?
    The lunar eclipse was pretty cool... too bad you missed it... and I bet that you'll also miss the next one (sometime around August), since by the timing it'll only be seen in East Asia and Australia. (at least it won't be seen in Chile)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Australia is known to have a bit of thunder and lightning around summer due to the humidity.... we had not had much this year- (well in Sydney) but last night it was like the heavens opened... the most intensive lightning we have had in years hit Syd.. pretty cool... except for the part that the worst bit hit my suburb, i would say a couple of streets away from me at 2.30am and set all the house alarms off. This would have been ok if the house near my bedroom decided to switch off the alarm instead of letting it ring for 3 hours...(yeah ok im sure the werent home)

So i am here at work lacking in sleep
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jun 2003
    With the Vernal Equinox (First Day of Spring) does it feel like spring yet ?

So/So here.
    Oddball

Registered
    Aug 2002

So/So here.

Ha, ha, what a joke. It's so cold that the window in my office is frosted over. And I just heard the tell-tale sound of illegal snowmobilers in the woods nearby... there is still a foot of snow on the ground.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yep. Forecast high in the upper 70's today on the panhandle.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Another very-much-above-normal day here in NW Ohio......temps in the 70F range with more of the same forecast for Tuesday, April 3. However.....the storms will roll in late in the day and after those storms......can you hear the bottom dropping? Temps are predicted to be in the mid-30F range the balance of the week, with some snow showers. Happy baseball season!

I was doing some internet reading about the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak of April 13, 1965. The storms in America's midsection killed 250 people and caused millions upon millions of dollars in damage (in 1965 dollars). Toledo was greeted with an F4 tornado on that day.....a twister that roared through the north side of the city (and along the state line in Michigan).....killing 16 people. Hundreds of homes in Toledo and just across the state line were totally destroyed. A housing development called Fuller's Creekside was completely destroyed.....and a photo of President Lyndon Johnson walking through the wreckage in Creekside was all over the national news.

This Bear lived on Brophy Drive, a street that ended by the creek that gave the demolished neighborhood its' name. But we had just moved from that house, living in an area west of there and along the state line. There were no tornado warnings as we know them today. The day was very hot and humid.....typical weather prior-to the twisters that we now know so much more about.

Something I did not know until today.....that batch of Palm Sunday tornadoes jump-started the elaborate watch and warning systems we use today. Experts studied all of the details of those storms and, from that analysis, developed new and better techniques to warn the citizenry when conditions are ripe for these storms.

And we all know that in the last 15 years or so, improved and sophisticated radar technology has greatly improved our ability to see storms in the formation stage.
    Yet, every year we still see many deaths. Here in NW Ohio we are east of what is considered to be "Tornado Alley".....but the Palm Sunday tornadoes of 1965 showed us that the storms aren't always just in the "alley".

I was a junior in high school. What a week that was, since just about all of the Toledo damage was in my school district.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Yeah, not too thrilled about the upcoming 30 and 40 degree weather, after a very mild late March, albeit a rainy one.

Over the weekend, we had some violent weather in the Chicago area. Nothing too terribly exciting in my neighborhood, thank God. Just some wind-driven thunderstorms.

However, Carol Stream, a western suburb of Chicago, saw a microburst, as part of the same line of thunderstorms which hit me. A microburst is when divergent air rushes down from the upper atmosphere in a thunderstorm, producing damaging straight-line winds in a very localized area at the surface. I think the Nat'l Weather Service estimated winds of over 100 mph in this microburst. The microburst tore off the roofs of several apartment buildings, shattered windows, uprooted trees, tore off pieces of a department store, and sent debris flying a quarter of a mile from its origin. Only minor injuries, but hundreds of people there are now homeless. It's been all over the news.

Crazy to think that just a few hundred feet can determine who was spared and who was not.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Nov 2003
    it will be in the high 70s today, then get considerably colder by the end of the week. I'm not turning my heat back on!!
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star View post
    it will be in the high 70s today, then get considerably colder by the end of the week. I'm not turning my heat back on!!
    Near record highs forecast for today (82F) followed by strong storms and falling temps. Saturday night low in the mid 20s -- you can bet the heat will be on in my drafty old , uh, historic, yeah, that's the word, home.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Tornado Watch until 8 PM.
    Oddball

Tornado Watch until 8 PM.
    Quote Originally posted by NWS
    3 April 1974 → Historic tornado outbreak, with many destructive tornadoes sweeping through the Ohio Valley. F5 tornadoes were seen at Brandendurg KY and near DePauw IN. Tornado winds to F4 strength tore across northeast Louisville. Hail four and a half inches in diameter fell in Hardin County.
    I just love having a BZA meeting tonight -- while we're under a tornado watch.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    snowed 2 inches last night into this morning!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Everything is blooming like crazy here. It's been in the high 70s, even breaking 80 occassionally for the last several days. Now they're calling for a frost/freeze warning on Thursday and Friday nights...and of course that will kill everything. Good thing I didn't set out tomato plants last weekend (procrastination is sometimes an advantage).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2003
    This wacky spring weather that we are having is totally playing havoc on my sinuses. I can't take it anymore. Beautiful yesterday and today and a cold Easter weekend to come.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Talk about wacky -
    Tornado/Thunderstorm Watches & Warnings yesterday to Freeze Warning tomorrow morning.
    Big fear is killing off potential for the mix of emerging plants, crops and flower blooms.
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Yesterday in the DC area, it was 75-80, sun was out, absolutely beautiful. Today, it's raining and around 40-45 outside, not pleasant at all.
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I got my first sunburn/windburn of the year yestrday, mid 70's and gorgeous on vacation, while they get ready for a snow storm today at home. Off to Napa today
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Pool is iced over again. Doves walking on the ice.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    2 feet of snow fell so far and it's still snowing!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Darned if it is not snowing here.

It WAS such a beautiful Spring. Everything is in FULL bloom. This sucks.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Morning in NW Ohio.....

Salt trucks spreading their wares on local highways.....television and radio announcers warning drivers about the slick spots and the "black ice" on the overpasses.....kids outside playing, warm winter clothing adorning their young bodies.....exterior garage wall thermometer showing temps in the mid 20F range.....

Christmas Day?

Nope. Easter morning, 2007.

The temperature on Christmas Day (2006) in NW Ohio reached 40F. The projected high temp for today (Easter, 2007) is 34F.

My guess is that our resident Great Leader will report in about the deep snowfall in his stomping grounds.....especially in the higher elevations away from the warm waters of Lake Erie. (Honorable Great Leader east of Cleveland.)

Good things on the way, though.....within a week this blast from Canada will move away and more-normal temps will invade our space.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 163 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 7:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21