Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 157 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Weather Thread

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    MAN, it's a soaker of a day here. A rare day on the Front Range where it is rainy all day.
    How the weather down south, Card?

zmanPLAN Central KS could use the showers, send them this way. The Queens flowers and Roses could use a good soaking and the rain will help with the humidity.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Just got home from 5 hours out in the sun at a trails event. It was hot out there! I'm beat. It didn't help that I had to be up at 5:30 to get there on time. Yawn...

Thunder and lightning. Summer weather is here. So much for getting some yard work done this evening.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 23 May 2005 at 11:38 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    The ZMan is feeling the summer weather as well... 95F today and that is oo toasty. I'm sheltered now wth a/c and Heineken.

My house is almost done though... Painted and carpeted now. Thank God for guys that work on the weekend, so that this Plannr can see the inside of his place...

I also found a gem today at a "hole in the wall" music store. An original copy of Bob and Doug's Great White North on vinyl!!! SWEET!

Hopefully te GF will be home, and th party can begin...

ZMan with A.D.D. this Saturday.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    We're having one of those thunderstorms where the sky is pitch black and lightning is hitting all around; so I'm going to be late getting to work. Hate going out in these storms.
    Given these weather conditions, have you ever considered the possibility of leaving for work earlier than normal?

On a related note, I was notified this morning that I'm required to attend an Employee Relations Seminar next month. Here's my take on employee relations: you come to work (on time), you do what you're told, you complete the assigned tasks in a timely manner, and we pay you. What's the question? I spit on HR.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    94 degrees in Toledo area on Sunday, 6-5-05. First time over 90 in two (2) years. More of the same expected Wednesday and Thursday. Increasing humidity, too. Florida weather right here in northern Ohio.

On Sunday night the heavy storms were in the area, knocked down some trees and a lot of branches. Real damage was north, in central part of Michigan's "other peninsula".

BTW.....Michigan's state motto is "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look around you.".....or something along those lines.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    94 degrees in Toledo area on Sunday, 6-5-05. First time over 90 in two (2) years. More of the same expected Wednesday and Thursday. Increasing humidity, too. Florida weather right here in northern Ohio.

Bear
    That's just the weather god's way of preparing all of my fiancee's poor relatives for Texas weather when they come down for the wedding!

By the way, Bear, my fiancee's uncle owns one of the oldest produce stands up there in Swanton along that highway that connects to the turnpike. At least I think that was where he was at. I know it's the road that goes to Toledo Express Airport. Anyway, he owns Sadowsky's Farm and Produce up there and harvests the best corn I have ever had! It was also my first experience as a "city slicker" shucking fresh corn.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Not so nice to meet you Arlene

Arlene is making my weather overcast and rainy I wish she would just go NW already and bother Texas.......in fact this is a message to all future storms this year.....go mess with another state.....Texas and Georgia are preferred

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Arlene is making my weather overcast and rainy I wish she would just go NW already and bother Texas.......in fact this is a message to all future storms this year.....go mess with another state.....Texas and Georgia are preferred

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
    We're supposed to get some of the rain from Arlene on Saturday; bummer.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, we have not enjoyed 90-degree-plus days in NW Ohio for a couple years. Now we continue to have them, just about every day, for the last week. More of the same on the way for the weekend. Maybe just at 90.

Hot. Too hot for this Bear. And muggy.

Bear
    It's the same a few hours south. Day after day after day of hot, humid, sunny, allergy-inducing weather. It keeps clouding up in the afternoons, threatening a nice, cooling cloudburst....and then just blows away. Gets my hopes up that I'll be able to breathe without walking around in an antihistamine-induced haze, then nothing. Argh.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ICT/316
    Well, it's 7:50 pm on the 9th of June and Ks is getting pounded by Tornado's.
    US 54 south of Dodge City, at least 44 semi trucks flipped over. Roof off high school in Meade, Ks. Town of Fowler hit hard. Damage and injuries. Also, NW Ks. in the Wakeene and I-70. Many semi's flipped over.

This is happening as I write. All of these area's are very rural, but it sounds like the damage is extensive.

Bill

“Get out! Just go! We are through! Through! Because of your actions, you scorpion woman!”

- Ron Burgundy

Just like Ks weather. We sat outside at a public concert in the park this evening with who knows how many thousands of other having an absolutly splendid evening. Guess I will have to check the weather.

Registered
    Mar 2004

The end of times.....

Did anyone see the weather map this morning on The Weather Channel??? Fully 75% of the lower 48 was covered with some shade of green and it was all classified by the weather nerds as thunderstorm or severe weather on the map I don't think I've ever seen that much water over the entire USA.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Did anyone see the weather map this morning on The Weather Channel??? Fully 75% of the lower 48 was covered with some shade of green and it was all classified by the weather nerds as thunderstorm or severe weather on the map I don't think I've ever seen that much water over the entire USA.
    Yip my old body can feel all that green. But the timing is exactly right, the farmers are waiting to get into the fields to harvest wheat, it is time for strong storms to knock it down.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Cloudy, Cool, grey Seattle-ish day here in Colorado. Yesterday brought golf ball sized hail to the north of us in Fort Collins (but it didn't get to MY house or my car down here at work).

Right after I buy stuff to ready my yard for the upcoming landscape installation, it begins raining again.
    Of course, when the sod is in and needs lotsa water, the rain will stop and thus will begin the hot, dryish summers I know and love here.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Summer's come early to these parts. Temperatures are averaging 5-8 degrees (F) above normal and there's been a 20-30% chance of isolated or scattered showers every day without a drop falling here.

Arlene is currently projected to pass overhead at daybreak Tuesday. Maybe that'll bring some much needed rain.
    Exact same weather here!! 90 degrees each day, chance of showers and NOTHING!! Some parts of St. Louis metro got rain yesterday but not out here by me I hope some of the rain moves this way today!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Exact same weather here!! 90 degrees each day, chance of showers and NOTHING!! Some parts of St. Louis metro got rain yesterday but not out here by me I hope some of the rain moves this way today!!
    I'll send it your way, Jax, I need to work in the yard. Of course the soil on my lot has to be the thick kind, that when muddy, will suck the shoes right off your feet! It needs to dry out. Plus, the fence will be installed when it is dry, and then I can plant some garden elements.

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    did you get any weather last night Zman? We sat on the front porch with a huge barleywine from Moylans (CA) and a bleu cheese burger while watching the lightning and rain. I love the weather in Colorado! Hot today though!

"Pelican City"?!?! Very nice!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Z Man, sick of the heat already. I wonder what the high temp in De Noc is today?
    This week the temperatures in De Noc have been in the low to mid 70's, with a slight chance of rain. The temperatures are heading to the 80's by the end of the week, just as the chance of thunder-bumpers increases.

De Noc is midway between Escanaba and Manistique, so going to internet weather for both places will give you a "range" for De Noc. During the later part of the summer, as the shallower Big Bay De Noc warms up, De Noc also warms up.

Mid-July to late-August will bring near 80-degree temperatures to De Noc. Once in awhile the temperatures approach the 90's. Not very often.

Of course, this conversation in January or February is talking about high temperatures in the teens, with normal lows near zero.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by prana
    did you get any weather last night Zman? We sat on the front porch with a huge barleywine from Moylans (CA) and a bleu cheese burger while watching the lightning and rain. I love the weather in Colorado! Hot today though!

We got no weather last night or the night before. I did watch the lightning and the rain to the south for a while. Both nights have provided a great show for this planner.
    It has been way too hot for me. Plus, we do not have a/c in the new place and the humidity (yes, the WEAK Colorado humidity) was making this planner pretty sweaty in his unsuccessful attempt at installing a ceiling fan...
    Are you speaking of the bleu cheese burgers from Whole Foods? My folks tell me they are pretty good. I may have to hit Fort Collins tonight, go to Wilbur's for some Red Hook Blonde, and then score some Bleu Chees Burgers!

Quote Originally posted by prana
    "Pelican City"?!?! Very nice!
    Yeah, I got that from all the Pelicans we have flying around Northern Colorado lately. I have become somewhat of an amateur birdwatcher, and with all the lakes and water around us (Loveland and Windsor) there have been some cool sightings. Last weekend while working on my irrigation, you see flocks of Pelicans flying under the sun. It was a cool sight. I check some of my fieldguides and I guess Pelicans stay to the coasts mainly, but will come inland and stay only in our part of the state!

Well... I think it is cool

-Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This better not mess up my weekend, or I'm going postal.

Latest from the weather service:

"SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR HAS STRENGTHENED INTO A TROPICAL STORM. JULY 5 IS THE EARLIEST DATE ON RECORD FOR 4 NAMED STORMS TO HAVE FORMED IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN."

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    This better not mess up my weekend, or I'm going postal.

Latest from the weather service:

"SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR HAS STRENGTHENED INTO A TROPICAL STORM. JULY 5 IS THE EARLIEST DATE ON RECORD FOR 4 NAMED STORMS TO HAVE FORMED IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN."
    The latest models show Dennis following Cindy into the Louisiana area. Good for us in FL; bad for our NO Cyburbians.

Registered
    May 2003

Anyway The Wind Blows Threads

Weather Central Thread.....I am having a hard time understanding why somebody lives in the southland. Not meant to be critical...it just seems like it rained forever, stopped raining, and now you have hurricanes and tropical depressions and whatever coming at you. When do you get to use your famous beaches?

Toledo had another mid-90's day on Monday but a front moved through and we are more normal today (mid-to-low 80's). More 90's expected by the weekend.

Marquette, MI, this afternoon is posting a 54-degree temperature. That will drive the fish away, at least until the cold front moves past.

Women Golfers Thread.....The Jamie Farr / Owens Corning Classic is starting-up this week, at Highland Meadows, in the city of Sylvania. Today was the "celebrity" thing, including former quarterback Jim Kelly (Buffalo) and Pittsburgh Steeler QB Ben Roethlisberger (who is dating an LPGA "hottie").

I showed my step-son the picture of the 17-year old girl who is on the tour. He is an everyday good golfer and is 17 years old.

Cornface Thread.....A while back, Suburb Repairman indicated that the best corn-on-the-cob he ever had came from a market on Airport Highway, just east of Swanton (operated by his or his wife's relatives). This market put up the big sign this weekend that says "Sweet Corn Soon!". Yes!

Child Support Thread.....Katie encountered the big shock this weekend. She receieved a check for child support. She has been divorced from her ex for about thirteen (13) years, now. This was the first check.....ever.

We can retire on this check......$29. Yippie!

NHL Thread.....I agree with Z-The-Lawn-Man.....bring back the National Hockey League. We need to see men without teeth taking off gloves and fighting with sticks.

Wait a minute.......the local news just showed the trailer park incident. We don't need no hockey league!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Weather Central Thread.....I am having a hard time understanding why somebody lives in the southland. Not meant to be critical...it just seems like it rained forever, stopped raining, and now you have hurricanes and tropical depressions and whatever coming at you. When do you get to use your famous beaches?
    The nearest beach to us has been gone since last fall. As for the hurricane thing, the hits we took last year were the first direct hit in central FL since the early 60's. As one of our admin assistants said today, we used to assume they'd miss us, now we assume they're going to hit us.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    ....Hows everyone elses weekend looking??
    The weather is not looking perfect here on the panhandle, but I'll get by with a couple of I'll cook some nice meals and enjoy the pool between thunder showers. It could be worse.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm off to the airport in a couple of minutes. ZG's flight was 50 minutes late departing due to poor weather in central Florida. And dinner will be ready when she gets here, Tranplanner (no, not possum stew!).

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I'm off to the airport in a couple of minutes. ZG's flight was 50 minutes late departing due to poor weather in central Florida. And dinner will be ready when she gets here, Tranplanner (no, not possum stew!).
    Well, I finally got here, an hour and a half late. Had some wonderful homemade French onion soup for dinner (no possum parts); yum. RJ is a great host.

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 157 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Teh 2013 Tropical Weather Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 8:07 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. Replies: 161