Urban planning community

Poll results: Is it worth pointing out damage to the dry-cleaner?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go back, point out the damage, and see what happens.

16 88.89%
  • Don’t point out the damage and go somewhere else.

1 5.56%
  • Other, explain below.

1 5.56%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dry-Cleaner Question

Registered
    Feb 2003

Dry-Cleaner Question

I don’t wear that many dry-cleaned clothes, so I would not be a “valued” customer to a dry-cleaner. However, I have used the same dry-cleaner for over a year now and he knows my name and is very friendly to me.

Well, today I put on a pair of pants that were most likely cleaned there a few months ago and there is a hole that appears to be from the dry-clean machine.

I have not been there in a few weeks and there is a sign that says “NOT LIABLE”. So I am debating if I should go back up there and tell him or just throw the pants away and never go there again. If I don’t tell him, I can’t go again because it might happen again.

What would you do?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Definitely go back and point out the damage. It never hurts and you may come with something free.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Give it a try-since he seems to be friendly-but don't hold your breath.

I have to dry-clean a lot of stuff and it seems to be very difficult to find a cleaner's that doesn't damage something. Give another cleaner's a try. Or, start doing it yourself at home. I've been using those dry-clean sheets from the supermarket for my least-expensive dry clean-only garments, and they have worked fine.

I would go in there and show them the damage. Hopefully they will be nice and say something like "I am sorry, but we are not responsible for damages, however. I can give you some free dry cleaning coupons." If they are a-holes about it, I would probably tell them that you are going to take your business elsewhere and tell your friends and family to do the same.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I would give it a shot. You'll never know if your dry cleaner will resolve the situation if you don't try. If the situation isn't resolved, you can strategically place fliers around the area indicating, "For guaranteed holes in your clothes, please utilize ___________ Dry Cleaners!"
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I see your points. I was thinking the opposite though. I thought since I am now scared to take my clothes there due to holes, so I don’t want free dry-cleaning, and I know they wont compensate because they are “NOT LIABLE”, I would just move on and not waste my time. Well, I will give it a try and let you know what they say. However, keep in mind that I don’t do that much dry-cleaning so my customer value is not high.

But as a PS, how is it that this profession gets away with “NOT LIABLE” status? I mean a car-washer, valet, or mechanic cant be “NOT LIABLE” for your car, a day-care cant be “NOT LIABLE” for your child. How does a dry-cleaner become “NOT LIABLE”?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I got a free pair of DKNY pants from a dry cleaner once. I swore that they lost them. Up until a year after when I found them.

Oh well.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mike D. - I had the opposite. Dropped something off and never got it back. Problem was, it was the valet dry cleaners that pick up here at work, so there are no tickets. Just drop off the bag and pick it up 2 days later. By the time I got around to picking it up and sorting through the return, I had forgotten it was in the bag. By the time I relaized it, it was too late to do anything.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I would mention that it appears that the pants were damaged when cleaning, it may have been a new guy running the press so the owner should know. The reason they say they can't be liable is that they have no knowledge of the condition of the fabric or workmanship of the clothes they clean.

I had the only one in my City repress my suit while I waited because the creases on the pants where wrong the last time I was there. They now do it right teh first time and remember me.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    what is this "dry-cleaning" you speak of?

Never dry cleaned anything in my life, so I don't have any advice for you.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Chet
    Mike D. - I had the opposite. Dropped something off and never got it back. Problem was, it was the valet dry cleaners that pick up here at work, so there are no tickets. Just drop off the bag and pick it up 2 days later.
    Thats exactly what this was. I swore up and down that I had a pair of pants in there. So rather than lose face with our company, the dry cleaner reimbursed me for the pants. Boy did I feel like an ass (a lucky ass) when I found out I had 2 pairs of DKNY pants later on.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I have a great family owned place by me. They are lucky enough to also have the military outsource contract. They know how to press fatigues!! They ruined one of my Tommy B. silk shirts. They for whatever reason accidentially laundered and heavy starched it!! I noticed the problem when I picked it up. They tried to D/C it, but it never recovered. They were very nice and reimbursed me for the shirt. I still use them every week.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jun 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 12:05 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Sep 2009, 12:24 PM
  4. New here and a question
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 29 Dec 2005, 9:59 AM