Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Kinda' Dumb Question Thread

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

The NEVERENDING Kinda' Dumb Question Thread

"There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people that ask questions."

Seriously, this is a neverending thread for Cyburbians to ask "dumb" bit legitimate questions, and for others to answer them. Please don't post filler like "Why do we park in a driveway but drive on a parkway" - its for real questions about less-than-cosmic topics that you want to know the answers for.

I'll start with this: Are there actually fans of the Special Olympics? To word it in another way, I'm wondering if random people without any connection to the competitors or those providing services or advocacy for the developmentally disabled go to the Special Olympics just to watch the athletic competition, in the same way that spectators attend regular Olympic events.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Why does the penny still have to be larger than the dime?

I know why they were, historically, sized (due to value of their specific component metals, which hasn't really applied since 1964), but are we just maintaining the sizes for the sake of tradition?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I know why they were, historically, sized (due to value of their specific component metals, which hasn't really applied since 1964), but are we just maintaining the sizes for the sake of tradition?
    As a one-time coin collector, the answer is yes. The United States is one of the most conservative countries on the planet with it comes to its currency and coinage;. Currency and coin size and design is seldom changes, because it's intended to be a reflection of the stability of the US dollar. Also, the US public is also VERY conservative when it comes to currency and coinage changes of any sort; witness the outrage in response to the new Jefferson profile nickels. The obverse of the penny has been unchanged for 99 years; from what I understand, it's the oldest continuously used design of any coin currently being minted anywhere in the world.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    If cheerleading is a sport, who are they cheering for...themselves? And how sporting is that?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The old why are hot dogs and buns not sold in the same numbers?????
    This annoys the living crap out of me
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A few questions on flying:

First off, why the ban on electronic devices during take off and landing? I can understand radios and such, but why would a CD player or Ipod make a difference, your not even using the planes power anyways.

Secondly, why do planes make you stay in your seat so much? The turbulence I've expierenced has never been any worse than the normal movement on a train or bus. Most of the time I can't even feel anything.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post

First off, why the ban on electronic devices during take off and landing? I can understand radios and such, but why would a CD player or Ipod make a difference, your not even using the planes power anyways.
    I've wonderd why you can't use FM radios and the like. I mean they aren't transmitters, just recievers. the FM signal is bombarding the plan as it is, what's the harm in converting that signal to audio.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Secondly, why do planes make you stay in your seat so much? The turbulence I've expierenced has never been any worse than the normal movement on a train or bus. Most of the time I can't even feel anything.
    They make you stay in your seat because of the potential for much more significant turbulance.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    I've wonderd why you can't use FM radios and the like. I mean they aren't transmitters, just recievers. the FM signal is bombarding the plan as it is, what's the harm in converting that signal to audio.
    Agreed, but with the plane moving at such a high rate of speed, I wouldn't think that someone trying to listen to FM radio would be able to hold on to the signal for that long.

I have a question as well...

If sandwich bread is square, then why is most luncheon meats round?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

It really doesn't make a difference. If you are an aviation buff like me, you'll find countless youtube vids of people video taping landings and takeoffs from their seat. There are also cool videos of PILOTS landing 747s in St. Maarten, JFK, Hong Kong (old airport), etc. They used to think it would diturb the plane's electronic guidance system (hardly any landing anymore is controlled completely by the cpt/fo) but that has been proven to be bunk.
    I think now they ban their usage in case of an emergency so that instuctions from the flight attendants can be heard. (Most incidents/crashes occur during takeoff or landing).

I buckle in now after experiencing an air pocket where flying where people suffered minor injuries. Also, I have been on approach to Memphis through a NW Arkansas t-storm where I thought the plane had landed twice because of the turbulence.

Now they keep you in your seat to prevent passengers from congregating in the aisleways and possibily plotting against the crew (more post 9/11 stuff)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I

Now they keep you in your seat to prevent passengers from congregating in the aisleways and possibily plotting against the crew (more post 9/11 stuff)
    I hadn't thought of that...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I hadn't thought of that...
    It was readily apparent on my 16 hour 45 minute non-stop flight to Hong Kong from Chicago. Spend too much time in the aisle or galley and they tell you to go back to your seat
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    They do transmit! All radio receivers have oscillators that transmit -- usually at a very low power -- on harmonic frequencies that could interfere with navigation equipment. That's how Ontario's radar detector detectors work; they detect low-level transmission from harmonic frequencies emitted by the detectors themselves.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Good thread Dan. It's high time people start discussing the real issues that matter most, like:

1. Why are buffalo wings made from chicken?
    2. Why are mints left on pillows?
    3. Why do the British use miles but not kilometers (like the rest of the metric system).
    4. How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
    5. How can there be self-help "groups"?
    6. Why do men have nipples?
    7. Why QWERTY?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Why is the meat of some animals given a different name than the animal, while other animals and its meat have the same names?

You called out to Ma "What's for supper?" She might say "lamb, duck, goose, possum, squirrel, or chicken (the meat is named for the animal eaten), Or she might say "veal, beef, pork, mutton, or squab (names given the meat of young cattle and mature cattle, pigs, sheep and pigeons, respectively).The meat of a deer is called venison, but the meat of an elk is called elk.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    6. Why do men have nipples?
    That's an easy one. Men have nipples because women need them. Study up on the development of human embryos. They get everything they need before the gender switch is thrown. So they have nipples, and then the gender of the embryo begins to assert itself.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Where do lost socks go ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Where do lost socks go ?
    Contrary to popular opinion, socks are never lost. They have an excellent sense of direction. However, they do not mate for life and often bi-socktual. Some species actually are capable of changing colors leading to another popular misconception of mis-matched socks.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I watched a flight attendant have her head bounce off the ceiling and she got carted off the plane in a stretcher. Bitch made me miss my connecting flight since we couldnt deplane first.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Zoning

This Bear has a question.....

Are zoning code identifiers the same in most locales? Is a C-N code (or whatever) used in Louisville, Toronto, Des Moines, New York, Marquette, etc.?

"Kinda dumb", eh? Gimme a break, I am not a planner.

If I was to use Louisville's PDFs for their zoning codes and descriptions would it be appropriate for my fake city, De Noc? Or do I need to invent my own?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear has a question.....

Are zoning code identifiers the same in most locales? Is a C-N code (or whatever) used in Louisville, Toronto, Des Moines, New York, Marquette, etc.?

"Kinda dumb", eh? Gimme a break, I am not a planner.

If I was to use Louisville's PDFs for their zoning codes and descriptions would it be appropriate for my fake city, De Noc? Or do I need to invent my own?

Bear
    Not transferable from city to city. It's what's known as 'job security' Tho' Louisville's new from-based codes might indeed be very popular with the denizens of De Noc.

Quote Originally posted by jsk1983
    I suppose I've flown not only my share of turbulent flights, but yours too. After one particularly bouncy flight where we dropped precipitously and steeply several times, I keep my belt fastened tight and snug. (For a few minutes, experienced fliers were completely rattled -- food and beverage service was canceled. I've never in my life wanted out of a plane more than I wanted out of that one.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Why does the world still seem to not realize that Peak Oil is on its way and the era of cheap oil is in its death throws?

Headline I read today:
    The worst may be behind for Wall Street - or not
    Opening of this article:
    Not long ago, it seemed like the worst was over. As the first quarter wound down, the credit crisis appeared to be easing, the housing market seemed like it might get some footing and Wall Street was growing confident that it had finally found a bottom after months of volatility.

No one expected oil would shoot up 30 percent in just three months.
    (emphasis added by me)
    Hello? Anybody home?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    "There are no stupid questions. There are only stupid people that ask questions."

Seriously, this is a neverending thread for Cyburbians to ask "dumb" bit legitimate questions, and for others to answer them. Please don't post filler like "Why do we park in a driveway but drive on a parkway" - its for real questions about less-than-cosmic topics that you want to know the answers for.

I'll start with this: Are there actually fans of the Special Olympics? To word it in another way, I'm wondering if random people without any connection to the competitors or those providing services or advocacy for the developmentally disabled go to the Special Olympics just to watch the athletic competition, in the same way that spectators attend regular Olympic events.
    You guys are asking those same silly hypothetical questions. Until I recently, I would have used this thread to ask "What is lemon zest and how do you get it?" You see it in recipes, but they never explain it!

OK, here's my not smart ass hypo question: does anyone know a chart, list, whatever, of meat cuts, because cookbooks use different terms for cuts, and I go in looking for one cut of meat and can't find it but it's probably got a different name here than in the area where the cookbook author lived. A couple weeks ago, RJ and I were looking for a piece of pork which was called something different in a cookbook but was a "half picnic" here. I need a master list, with all the regional variations.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    How come in the song "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant sings "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love", when they are a British band that should be using the metric system. Shouldn't it be, "I'm gonna give you every centimeter of my love"?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    How come in the song "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin, Robert Plant sings "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love", when they are a British band that should be using the metric system. Shouldn't it be, "I'm gonna give you every centimeter of my love"?
    Britain only officially switched to the metric system in the late 60's, and still have not entirely switched all distance signs on roads and such. I'm sure centimeters were not in common usage when the song was written
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Nov 2010, 9:08 AM
  2. Really "dumb" job hunting question
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Oct 2004, 9:30 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2003, 4:29 PM
  4. Question and kinda rant-