Urban planning community

Poll results: What would you reuse this building for?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brewery sounds good

9 37.50%
  • Hotel

0 0%
  • Other commercial use (explain)

2 8.33%
  • Other industrial use (explain)

3 12.50%
  • Knock the eyesore down!

5 20.83%
  • Just tell me when it opens, I want free beer!!!

5 20.83%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain Elevator Reuse

Registered
    Dec 2003

Grain Elevator Reuse

Doing a project on the reuse of Concrete Central Grain Elevator as a Brewery.

{Mod Edit (NHPlanner): Image link fixed.}

-Seeing how Buffalo has such a vast history in brewing, and seeing how this grain elevator has such huge storage capacity, I figured what the hell. The location is ideal due its location on the Buffalo River VIA Lake Erie & Great Lakes Shipping Area (could get some cheap grain, barley, wheat, etc from the mid-west), and the rail lines that run behind it. The building is for sale for a $1 and is in great structural shape. I think its up for historical designation, if its not already on the list.
    -Anyway this is just the start of some ideas, and I was wondering what other ideas yous guys would have for the reuse of such a huge building (we've got plenty of them). Its also in an Economic Redevelopment Zone, so all sorts of incentives and tax breaks.
    -I was thinking I could name the beer "Rumpy's Rampage" .
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    May 2003
    Is it in view of a major road? Can you say "advertising"?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    You can see it from the interstate and the skyway. Yep I was thinking about a HUGE neon sign.

-Hey thanks NH Planner!!
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've always dreamt of putting up aclimbing wall/gym in one of those things. Even though, I hardly know a thing about climbing proper. I've done it a few times, that's it. I just like the idea of reusing grain elevators for this. They're ideal, really. They're tall, you can do all kinds of stuff inside. Stillwater MN has a great example that's also an outdoor gear store. Of course, climbing girls rock too.

I love strong, muscular backs....

edit to add--oh, wow, didn't know it was, um BIG. Maybe 6 or 7 separate climbing walls then, eh?
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by martini
    I've always dreamt of putting up aclimbing wall/gym in one of those things.
    People have thought about that as a use, but how about climbing it and having a Frosty one after reaching the top. Some people currently use buildings like these in the area as battlegrounds for paint ball.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are you thinking micro-brewery or mega-brewery? The large brewers have been consolidating and closing breweries all over the country. LaCrosse has struggled a long time to keep the local brewery running (second company since MIller left). That facility was a brewery and had the benefit of a skilled work force. If they struggle under those circumstances, you'd have a much harder time retrofitting an old building.

Are there any environmental issues? Asbestos? Structural problems?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    Are you thinking micro-brewery or mega-brewery?
    Are there any environmental issues? Asbestos? Structural problems?
    I was thinking micro, with i restaurant at the top of the building as part of the gig and eventually becoming a mega-brewer if warranted (plenty of room to expand) The only environmental issues I can think of is that it might be located adjacent to brownfields. I don't think asbestos is an issue and the structure is rock solid (reinforced steel bar concrete).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    1. Knock some holes in the adjoining walls and fill the silos with barriers and make it the world's largest indoor spelunking/ micro brew.

2. Fill it with water and use it for deep water scuba.

3. Fill it with those plastic balls like they have at Mickey D's.

4. Use it to keep political prisoners under the new Ashcroft "Constitution-Lite" Administration.

5. Fill it with Jello (TM)

Registered
    Oct 2003
    mmmm....beer. In some of those old buildings anything would be great, but a brewery sounds good. A flour mill in Tempe was going to be a hotel, but that fell through. To preserve it, I think the City of Tempe just bought it. When we got a brewery it was Gordon Biersch. Not that great. One thing I do love about breweries in old buildings is they tend to preserve the building and open space in the industiral buildings they occupy.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I like it as a brewery if the market supports that. It would be a pretty cool brewery tour, for sure! GO BEER!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    4. Use it to keep political prisoners under the new Ashcroft "Constitution-Lite" Administration.
    -I remember that some firm from NYC wanted to turn some of the grain elevators into privatized prisions. That fell through faster than Chevy Chase's talkshow.

]Originally posted by ludes98
    mmmm....beer. In some of those old buildings anything would be great, but a brewery sounds good. A flour mill in Tempe was going to be a hotel, but that fell through
    -I've heard of other places where they've been turned into hotels, like in Ohio and in Germany. I think Toronto is turning their last remaining one into the Canadian Rock&Roll Hall of Fame or some thing like that.

-I'm all about the beer however

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Knock it down and use the site as parking for the new EXTREME Super Walmart that will be built on that portion of the river (after it's been filled in of course).
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's got micro-brew/sports bar written all over it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    I think Toronto is turning their last remaining one into the Canadian Rock&Roll Hall of Fame or some thing like that.
    Wow, that seems like a lot of space to dedicate to Brian Adams.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by Planderella
    Knock it down and use the site as parking for the new EXTREME Super Walmart that will be built on that portion of the river (after it's been filled in of course).
    Cynicism rears its ugly head. Not that parking lot wouldn't be great there. Plus when they start selling Chinese cars for $5K at the store they will need the space.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by RichmondJake
    It's got micro-brew/sports bar written all over it.
    And with all the available space in the area, it would be a great place to relocate the Buffalo Bills back to. Just think getting plastered with Rumpy's Rampage (copyright, copyright) at the brewery and then taken a boat down to the game across the river from downtown There's plenty of remediated brownfield sites in that area of the city, although I don't think it will happen (another pipe dream).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by ludes98
    Cynicism rears its ugly head. Not that parking lot would be great there. Plus when they start selling Chinese cars for $5K at the store they will need the space.
    I want a $5K car! Wait, I have 2 $2.5K cars already. Nevermind.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    I want a $5K car! Wait, I have 2 $2.5K cars already. Nevermind.
    I'll have plenty of cheap beer pumping out of that thing. Look out Genny Cream Ale!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Wow, that seems like a lot of space to dedicate to Brian Adams.
    Are you forgetting Anne Murray?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    Are you forgetting Anne Murray?
    And Chiliwhack. Cant forget the Chiliwhack invasion of the early '80's

Registered
    Sep 2001
    don't forget

celine dion, avril lavine, shania twain, bachman turner overdrive, the guess who, killer dwarves, kim mitchell, DOA, Forgotten Rebels, haywire, helix, gowan, men without hats, cory hart, luba, martha and the muffins......

i could go on for hours
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    brewery or ... Nebraska Furniture Mart.....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by tsc
    brewery or ... Nebraska Furniture Mart.....
    Yes, I think we have a winner.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    As much as I would like it to be a brewery, you need something else. Because:

1) For a microbrewery that you thinking about, you need only have 300 to 500 square feet of space initially.

2) The bigest problem with your average brew pub is that they are BORING AS HEAVEN ON A SATURDAY NIGHT!

3) The beer is ALWAYS overpriced. The mega brewers put an ounce on the table, from the fields to you, for about 2.5 cents per ounce. A micro brewer is a bit more expensive, so the price is about 38 to 50 cents a pint.

a) The product is then an overpriced beer for an acceptable poduct
    b) The product is aimed at people who no longer drink often enough to support the brewery properly
    c) The beer is a lost leader, a brewpub is usually a way to get middle aged people out to eat.

Solution, buy the building, use multiple uses such as residential spaces that people build to suit. A brewery with two or three pubs dispensing alcahol from the same spigot. All of them named something different with different labels. Each label pegged at a different price in order to cover the collage crowd to the empty nesters. Include some specialized entertainment areas.

OK, that my idea any way.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Originally posted by donk
    don't forget

celine dion, avril lavine, shania twain, bachman turner overdrive, the guess who, killer dwarves, kim mitchell, DOA, Forgotten Rebels, haywire, helix, gowan, men without hats, cory hart, luba, martha and the muffins......

i could go on for hours
    But you don't have to. Two Words: Neil Young, eh!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Saving and repurposing grain elevators
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Dec 2010, 1:56 PM
  2. Estimating elevator installation costs.
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Mar 2009, 1:52 PM
  3. Reuse of grain elevators for ethanol plants
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 6:53 PM
  4. Elevator costs
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Jan 2006, 4:15 PM
  5. Grain silo adaptive reuse