Urban planning community

Poll results: What would you reuse this building for?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brewery sounds good

9 37.50%
  • Hotel

0 0%
  • Other commercial use (explain)

2 8.33%
  • Other industrial use (explain)

3 12.50%
  • Knock the eyesore down!

5 20.83%
  • Just tell me when it opens, I want free beer!!!

5 20.83%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grain Elevator Reuse

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Solution, buy the building, use multiple uses such as residential spaces that people build to suit. A brewery with two or three pubs dispensing alcahol from the same spigot. All of them named something different with different labels. Each label pegged at a different price in order to cover the collage crowd to the empty nesters. Include some specialized entertainment areas.

OK, that my idea any way.
    -These are pretty good ideas, expecially multiple uses for a building that size. I think with the amount of storage space in the building itself should be able to lower the price of the brew by storing some of the grain bought in bulk. Different uses sounds like a good idea, for different drinkers. Residential use sounds good to me, and you could even through some hotel rooms in there as well.
    -But remember, Rumpy's Rampage will never be overpriced!!!
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    You can find out more on Toronto's on-agin/off-again "Metronome" project here . Not sure what the status is right now.

EDIT - pic deleted, that was way too big - sorry.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    -....I think with the amount of storage space in the building itself should be able to lower the price of the brew by storing some of the grain bought in bulk. ......-But remember, Rumpy's Rampage will never be overpriced!!!
    You might actually have a brewpub that could be interesting to visit.

$1 pints will give you the volume you need to pack the place crazy, leading to a need for VAST quatities of beer to be produced.

Also, at that price, you can make an OK beer for a GREAT price, and people will percieve it to be AMAZING! I can hear the cash register ringing now!

You could sponsor a "Lesbian Night at the Grain Elevator". Don't envite the cops
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2003
    You might actually have a brewpub that could be interesting to visit.

$1 pints will give you the volume you need to pack the place crazy, leading to a need for VAST quatities of beer to be produced. You could sponsor a "Lesbian Night at the Grain Elevator". Don't envite the cops
    -Lets up the ante', how bought throwing some bowling lanes in there. And $4 pitchers....
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    -Lets up the ante', how bought throwing some bowling lanes in there. And $4 pitchers....
    At those prices and these customers, you better call the sewer plant early in the evening and tell 'em to amp it up!!!

Registered
    May 2003

Weighty Challenge

After reading all the posts about a brewer's-adaptation, I naturally got excited, given my preoccupation with brew-pursuits. But Buffalo has a good brewpub already...the Pearl Street...and that market couldn't sustain both until some "magic economic renaissance" which has eluded the city for such a long time transpires.

I'd say advertising or storage would be good bets. And retain one in original condition for archival purposes (an industrial age theme park?) to show future generations that something was "indeeed made here" before all of our productive capacity was shipped overseas and sold back to us.....

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: Weighty Challenge

Originally posted by Miles Ignatius
    After reading all the posts about a brewer's-adaptation, I naturally got excited, given my preoccupation with brew-pursuits. But Buffalo has a good brewpub already...the Pearl Street...and that market couldn't sustain both until some "magic economic renaissance" which has eluded the city for such a long time transpires.

I'd say advertising or storage would be good bets. And retain one in original condition for archival purposes (an industrial age theme park?) to show future generations that something was "indeeed made here" before all of our productive capacity was shipped overseas and sold back to us.....
    -Yes Pearl Street has good beer at $3, and Flying Bison also has a brewery that you can tour, but $1 beers and all the other wackiness could make this work. Storage of grain and other materials would make the overhead costs low, plus if you did a little haggling with the transportation authority and got them to extend the light rail to the place (tracks run right behind the building) and set up some places for the boats to tie down, I think this thing could fly, reguardless of the current economics in Buffalo.

Registered
    May 2003
    How about a Mall of America?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by jordanb
    How about a Mall of America?
    -We've got a glut of those already here. The Main Place mall downtown is a nightmare, unless you go to the food court.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    The beer is ALWAYS overpriced. The mega brewers put an ounce on the table, from the fields to you, for about 2.5 cents per ounce. A micro brewer is a bit more expensive, so the price is about 38 to 50 cents a pint.
    Let's see, if a pint is 16 ounces . . . the mega brewers do 40 cents a pint. Hmmm.

There's a hotel in a grain elevator in Akron. The Buffalo building is so big you could do a brewery, a hotel, lofts, self-storage, a Wal-mart, a Home Depot, a parking lot, a performing arts center, and an NBA/NHL arena and still have space left over for Sifried and Roy to do a tiger show. Sigfried anyway.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Rich Townsend
    Let's see, if a pint is 16 ounces . . . the mega brewers do 40 cents a pint. Hmmm.

There's a hotel in a grain elevator in Akron. The Buffalo building is so big you could do a brewery, a hotel, lofts, self-storage, a Wal-mart, a Home Depot, a parking lot, a performing arts center, and an NBA/NHL arena and still have space left over for Sifried and Roy to do a tiger show. Sigfried anyway.
    LOL, maybe I could get Sigfried a lesbian partner. I've heard about the Hotel in Akron. Hmmmnnn.......

Registered
    Jul 2003
    If your serious about doing something with the elevator, tell us what is around it. Is it close to other entertainment, boating, residential, or some kind of use that people would naturally go to on thier own. Would you be creating a "hidden little spot" of activity that can stand alone?

If you have a brewpub that is viable on its own, you would have to do the research to vary your market from the other a bit. Buffalo should be able to handle another one as Madison WI has 2 or 3 just blocks away from each other. Green Bay has 2 within a stones throw of each other also.

With a lack of commercial brewing experience, you will need to start out smaller. A commercial brewery itself is not that huge. Linenkugels has one just off the highway on I-43 north to Green Bay out of Milwaukee. I am guessing that plant is only about 15k to 20k in square footage.

You are going to need some other kind of draw. The bowling alley works good. Make some kind of contract that says any use that sells alcahol must carry your beer in thier stock. ( captive market, YAY! )

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Rich Townsend
    Most mega brewers sell by the 12 ounce bottle in most venue's. Thats 30 cents per bottle. Arn't you glad you get to shell out $2 to $2.50 per bottle of swill? The price of the container to drink it in is included.

Micro-brewers can put a pint on the table for 40 to 50 cents because they do not have the cost of bottling or shipping. They draw from casks of beer on wheels. In other words, the price from vat to table includes the discount for bulk containers. Once you start talking about bottling and shipping the price per unit skyrockets.

Put it this way. A bottling machine will initially cost you more than the brweing equipment and the brewmaster to make the beer.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Make it a Lesbian micro-brewery. With all the influx of lesbians, there sould be some good number of lipstick lesbians who are also bi. So we (all men) should have a chance to fulfill our one commoon fantasy. We could think of some name or names for the brew - that would warrant an entirely new thread.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If your serious about doing something with the elevator, tell us what is around it. Is it close to other entertainment, boating, residential, or some kind of use that people would naturally go to on thier own. Would you be creating a "hidden little spot" of activity that can stand alone?

With a lack of commercial brewing experience, you will need to start out smaller. A commercial brewery itself is not that huge. Linenkugels has one just off the highway on I-43 north to Green Bay out of Milwaukee. I am guessing that plant is only about 15k to 20k in square footage.

You are going to need some other kind of draw. The bowling alley works good. Make some kind of contract that says any use that sells alcahol must carry your beer in thier stock. ( captive market, YAY! )
    -Keep in mind that this is a project I am currently working on, but in the long haul, this is something I would like to do.
    -I'll put a link to the site of where the Grain Elevator is located.

http://erie-gis.co.erie.ny.us/websit...ony/Viewer.htm links not working right, let me find another pic.
    -the red dots are where the parcel of land the building is on is located.
    -The building is located in an industrial area along the buffalo river and is about 2 minutes from downtown (driving). About a 10-15 minute walk. Residential areas exist to the east and north.
    There's boating access, railroad access, but the road access would have to be improved. It could actually be a stand alone type of place. As for starting out I would have to start out small but in reality I would like to do this some day.

Akron, Ohio converted its grain silos into a really nice hotel/conference center

Registered
    May 2003
    I know metro Buffalo is declining (I just finished reading High Hopes), but how is the city doing? From what I understand, central cities even in metros with declining populations like Cincinatti are looking up. If so, maybe there are loft possibilities. I'm assuming this grain elevator isn't a brownfield, how about the areas around it? And if so, how much will it cost to clean them up? Is all the industry around it abandoned or are there still active operations there?

The trump card that hasn't been discussed is the structural layout of the building. I assume it's just a series of tall tubes. Is it possible to nock the internal walls of the tubes out to make large internal spaces (if you're going for lofts, the tubes might be big enough as they are), cut holes in the exterior walls for windows, and still have enough structural integrity to support new floors? The building may not be worth adapting. I suppose you'll need an engineering study to answer those questions.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by jordanb
    I know metro Buffalo is declining (I just finished reading High Hopes), but how is the city doing? From what I understand, central cities even in metros with declining populations like Cincinatti are looking up. If so, maybe there are loft possibilities. I'm assuming this grain elevator isn't a brownfield, how about the areas around it? And if so, how much will it cost to clean them up? Is all the industry around it abandoned or are there still active operations there?

The trump card that hasn't been discussed is the structural layout of the building. I assume it's just a series of tall tubes. Is it possible to nock the internal walls of the tubes out to make large internal spaces (if you're going for lofts, the tubes might be big enough as they are), cut holes in the exterior walls for windows, and still have enough structural integrity to support new floors? The building may not be worth adapting. I suppose you'll need an engineering study to answer those questions.
    The city itself is in a fiscal mess (Gots us a control board), but there is some hope. Lofts are being put into abandoned buildings.
    Area surrounding is brownfields and existing industrial businesses.
    You can actually walk in side the building, sounds like its time for a field trip so I can get some pics.

Registered
    Jan 2002
    Ok, I think I remember a plan for a grain structure in 1980. I remember visiting the site and seeing a model of apartments.

2. Brew Pub? Buffalo? Didn/t the crazy economic development folks loan millions to the owners of the one on Main Street and Chippewa with no personal guanantees or comittments and they skipped with the money over night?

3. Someone is planning adaptive reuse for a grain elevator in Baltimore. I would search The Baltimore Sun on line for the article.

Is this a MUP studio project at UB?

Registered
    Dec 2003

Area where elevator is located.

Originally posted by Nemesis

Is this a MUP studio project at UB?
    No I don't go to U.B.

Empire Brewing is probally the brewery your thinking of, although breckanridge brewing bailed out before them.

[mod note] posts merged [/mod note]

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Convert it to missle silos for disgruntled planners to use at their discretion! :d:

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by OhioPlanner
    Akron, Ohio converted its grain silos into a really nice hotel/conference center
    wow...just checked that out...pretty cool.

Up the Hudson by Downtown is a restaurant constructed in oil tanks...
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by OhioPlanner
    They did a really nice job with that one.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Well I found the plans for the elevator, so here's the link because the image is to huge to post.

http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/n...eet/00001r.tif

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Here's the new sign for the brewery.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Saving and repurposing grain elevators
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Dec 2010, 12:56 PM
  2. Estimating elevator installation costs.
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Mar 2009, 12:52 PM
  3. Reuse of grain elevators for ethanol plants
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 5:53 PM
  4. Elevator costs
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Jan 2006, 3:15 PM
  5. Grain silo adaptive reuse