Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: What would you reuse this building for?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brewery sounds good

9 37.50%
  • Hotel

0 0%
  • Other commercial use (explain)

2 8.33%
  • Other industrial use (explain)

3 12.50%
  • Knock the eyesore down!

5 20.83%
  • Just tell me when it opens, I want free beer!!!

5 20.83%
+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Grain Elevator Reuse

Possible Ideas

Was just thinking about the visual appeal of this massive building and given its location I think it would make a great concert/live performance area. Some of the coolest attractions are ones that have unique and bizare uses. Given the acces from the road and other surrounding uses in the area this could be an ideal site for a night club as well (building off the palcement of a big neon sign!).

Registered
    Nov 2003
    These are so giant, it seems that an industrial use would be the only thing possible. If they made it into a hotel who would want to stay there unless there were windows. This could make a mega brewery to put some big companies out of business. The problem with industrial use is that each industry always likes to have their own buildings.

I think it could turn into a personal storage building (like uhaul storage) and also a test site for crash tests and drop tests for cars and consumer products. There is just so much space! How about an indoor amuzement park / maze spanning multiple levels with interconnecting tubes and passageways.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Cullen
    These are so giant, it seems that an industrial use would be the only thing possible. If they made it into a hotel who would want to stay there unless there were windows. This could make a mega brewery to put some big companies out of business. The problem with industrial use is that each industry always likes to have their own buildings.
    If you were to put a hotel in the building, windows could be cut into the building. Its been done with other grain elevators. I'm not quite sure what you meant in the last 2 sentences.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think his piont was that you make a HUGE McDonalds style adult maze. You know with the balls and everything. Mix it in with paint ball and you've got one hella playground.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    An idea is beginning to gel here - a hotel/conference/entertainment complex, with multiple activites including a microbrewery, maze, climbing walls, retail (I would expect) and other activities. Can you put in a marina on the river for people to come by boat? Maybe you could even offer dinner cruises.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    Can you put in a marina on the river for people to come by boat? Maybe you could even offer dinner cruises.
    The building is right on the river. Boats used to pull right up to the building to unload grain. Yep the buildings so huge you could do a lot with it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    You know, large, tube-shaped buildings built right on a river just scream Goonies -style water slides to me. Add some good beer.....now that's a good time.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    The building is right on the river. Boats used to pull right up to the building to unload grain. Yep the buildings so huge you could do a lot with it.

Marketing Idea for you, when you get the #2 bar set up and want that affluent crowd from 26 to 45, build this along your existing lakeship boatslip:

Rumpy's Deep Water Tap

"Fine Food For Local and Visiting Boaters"
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Marketing Idea for you, when you get the #2 bar set up and want that affluent crowd from 26 to 45, build this along your existing lakeship boatslip:

Rumpy's Deep Water Tap

"Fine Food For Local and Visiting Boaters"
    Sounds like an idea, the wall on the water goes for the entire lenght of the building so you can tie a lot of boats along it. As for water slides, I don't know how many people want to be swimming in the river, but it would be fun.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Sounds like an idea, the wall on the water goes for the entire lenght of the building so you can tie a lot of boats along it. As for water slides, I don't know how many people want to be swimming in the river, but it would be fun.
    No, you want an indoor water park that can be open all year, and provide an extra reason for people to book a hotel room for the night and eat at your restaurants.

Registered
    Jan 2002

Grain Elevators

I remember someone from Buffalo was asking about Elevator/Silo reuse. The Baltimore Sun has an article discussing the approval of one such project here in Charm City.

sorry, I coulnd/t find the thread.

Mod Edit (nerudite): Thread merged.

Registered
    Jul 2002

silos

Akron converted the old Quaker Oats silos and mill into a hotel and a mini-mall.
    http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/Tour/QuakerSquare.htm

     
    Registered
    Aug 2004

Need of public support

Yes, I am a born and breed Buffalonian. One who cares greatly about our deep history and uncertain future. Since my younger years, I have taken great interest in the grain elevators especially with my photography endeavors.
    What I really need to know is, what are the tax incentives and grants that are given out for such a project as reusing these elevators. Has anyone truly made sincere efforts as to experimenting with alternate uses in the Buffalo area. Please let me know of any articles that may pertain to this matter. Any help would be wonderful.

As for the city of Buffalo itself, I would love to hear any thoughts, comments, suggestions whether bad or good about the overall attitude of the city.

-Thanks to all

Registered
    Mar 2004
    This thread ran before I discovered Cyburbia, but the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing that elevator's image is 'upscale condomini(m)ums'.

There is an apartment complex on Appleton's southeast side (very typical 1980s design) where the developer incorporated a concrete silo from the site's former farm into one of the buildings. The developer created a bedroom on each of two floors inside of the silo, although I do not know how much more/month those two units go for. Very interesting.

Mike

     
    Registered
    Aug 2004

Not a bad idea!

Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    This thread ran before I discovered Cyburbia, but the first thing that came to my mind upon seeing that elevator's image is 'upscale condomini(m)ums'.

There is an apartment complex on Appleton's southeast side (very typical 1980s design) where the developer incorporated a concrete silo from the site's former farm into one of the buildings. The developer created a bedroom on each of two floors inside of the silo, although I do not know how much more/month those two units go for. Very interesting.

Mike
    Mike,

The grain elevators would give a deco feel, which is so attractive these days.
    Thanks for the great reuse idea. Ideas are found to be free flowing, but the problem arises when there is a lack of motivation and political flaws. will there ever be a time when the great minds meet and act on building reuse plans?

thanks again

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Currently, the plan for this specific grain elevator is to do.................nothing. In the city's new comprehensive plan, this site falls into a green zone, or unprotected yet open green space. You can query their website for the property, the last time I checked it was valued at $125,000.

There has been calls to demolish it, although the costs would be high due to all the reinforced concrete. I remember somebody wanted to put a prision in there, but of course they were from NYC. Last good idea I heard was to make it a brewery

But then again there are access issues as the site is stuck in the middle of CSX rail right of ways.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Saving and repurposing grain elevators
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Dec 2010, 12:56 PM
  2. Estimating elevator installation costs.
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Mar 2009, 12:52 PM
  3. Reuse of grain elevators for ethanol plants
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 5:53 PM
  4. Elevator costs
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Jan 2006, 3:15 PM
  5. Grain silo adaptive reuse