Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Constricted city needs tax revenue

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Constricted city needs tax revenue

I am currently an Intern working for a Development Authority The city has a population of 20K and is looking to increase its tax revenues. The problem is the city is constricted by the border of a large city. The community has traditionaly been a bedroom community with some retail, therefore has little retail space and compiling this problem is the Regional Shopping Malls and a Super Walmart within 4 miles. Any suggestions on publications or articles that might be helpful, or any other cities that have successfully attracted and retained businesses in this situation.

My thought is encourage restaurants to move into our downtown area. We have somewhat successful attracting restaurants...

Thanks for any Suggestions

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What are your municipal revenue sources? Property tax? Sales tax? Room tax? If restaurants seem a good option, think of expanding the concept to specialty stores, entertainment, lodging, etc. Redevelopment may play a key role.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I agree that you should focus on revitalizing your downtown. A number of cities of different sizes seem to have had a great deal of success with urban produce markets downtown. They can be established fairly easily on a small scale and expanded as it becomes more successful. PPS.org offers a few publications on this topic. Another area to look at would be increasing the supply of housing downtown, which will reinforce the other uses being drawn there. And lastly, you should probably be working to keep the neighborhoods surrounding downtown healthy. The long turn fate of downtown is, of course, linked to the health of those neighborhoods. Just a few things to think about.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with keeping the neighborhoods surrounding the CBD is important and increasing densities would be a key too. I like the idea of creating a market as mentioned, the space however is a question. I checked out the PPS.org page, however all of these markets are in large cities and have a higher pop. density... I am curious if you know of any smaller cities who have been successful in creating a small market and possible festivals related to it? What about other means of increasing tax revenues? Any suggestions?

Once again thanks for any input...

Is anyone aware of communities that give tax credits for new businesses that reuse existing VACANT properties for establishing the new businesses? I am deeply concerned about the build up of new commercial properties while existing properties are vacant and available for use. I'd like to draft a county ordinance that gives tax breaks to businesses that move into vacant commercial properties. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Nov 2011, 7:18 PM
  2. Small theme parks: revenue generators?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 25 Aug 2009, 3:27 PM
  3. Code enforcement revenue
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Feb 2009, 3:47 PM
  4. Parking meter revenue: is it shared?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Mar 2007, 7:59 PM