Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is the world the responsibility of the US?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Is the world the responsibility of the US?

"I'm not going to say that the problems of my government, or those of Bolivia, are the fault of the United States. But they could have done a little more to help us," Mr Sánchez* de Lozada, 73, told the Herald.

*Mr. Sánchez is the recently exiled Bolivian president. This comment was made Monday 20 October 2003 in an interview with the Miami Herald from the hotel of Mr. Sánchez in Miami Florida USA.

Source: http://www.americas.org/index.htm
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001

Dear ex-Bolivian Leader: piss off.

Its just trendy to blame us. Our media craves that shit. Katie Couric will get him on next week so he can describe his pain of being ingnored by Bush, who really isn't very smart in person, and Rummy who is mean.

If 96% of our citizens don't know who, where or what you are then you should be greatful. Hell our state department has more going on in Bagladesh than Bolivia.

Stay Low on our Radar Bolivia: Otherwise we will come help your sorry asses - with all that entails.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Blame us? When things are going wrong they always blame us. Just like France, they don't want to support us in war, but they want a piece of the pie after we go in and fight. I heard there is a huge oil field under France, hmmmmmm...
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The US does tend to have some imprerialist rendancies that annoy me, but in many cases it comes down to our selfish slef-interest. The "whats good for the world is good for us" mentality. Thats why we rebuilt Japan into an economic powerhouse after WWII righ? Oh wait, bad example.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It seems to me that the world is increasingly being divided into two camps. Those that want the U.S. to solve their problems, and those that blame the U.S. for creating their problems...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I will be the first to note that we have created some of our own worst problems, like Cuba and partially Iran (with the Brits help on that one). We are by no means a pristine nation with an absolutly clean conscious, but there is NO WAY IN HELL to convince me we are worse than any other nation as a general rule. Yeah, we have issues that need fixing, but we are not alone in this.

A better and more productive question to the world and many within our own nation might be:

"why should we feel guilty about having become successful AND rich?". "Why should America be nice and kind and gentle, respecting of social and cultural values to those societies and cultures that would do us harm?"

Hate us? Envy can be as bad as hating us.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    It seems to me that the world is increasingly being divided into two camps. Those that want the U.S. to solve their problems, and those that blame the U.S. for creating their problems...
    ....and which side of the fence is Canada on? I think we needs to do some problem solvin' up North.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    DUDE - Its the same camp!!! You don't have to be consistant any more with your rethoric (nations - not TP). You can cuss us and still demand tribute. I blame us. We got out of the business of backing up what we said with the butt of a rifle to the teeth of those that screw with us.

Love for my Canadian pals

Registered
    Oct 2001
    In reading about Bolivia-which is all I can do because I have never been there, I wonder if this is another "hopeless" country. There is a history of intense oppression based on conquest and race. The white minority, which American multinationals have always been eager to deal with, have treated the majority appallingly-hence the rage that exploded in even the parochial American newspapers.

But, to paraphrase something I read from P.J. O'Rourke when he was looking at the Zapatista movement, the leaders of this "Politics of Rage" offer no solutions or ideas beyond an incoherent (if totally justified) rage. They are mad, they feel oppressed-as they should. But, if they really think any politician, any party, and political movement, can "provide jobs within three months "(apparently the honeymoon period "granted" the new president to "solve" the country's problems) they are sorely mistaken and deluded. Educated, skilled people are going unemployed in the current world economy-what kind of high-paying jobs do uneducated landless ex-peasants living in serviceless slums think that the new government-or any government-can miraculously create?

The only "solution"-and it is impossible in today's world-is for the indigenes to be able to go back to their traditional culture and lifestyle. But, they have seen television and the other "benefits" of the modern world, Bolivia is integrated into the world system, and more and moer people are urbanized. How can the problems of this country be solved when the leadership on both sides seems so bereft of ideas?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    No, and the US shouldn't act like it was. Because of late, and specially derived from the Cold War, the US practically abolished the self-determination of countries, but I don't blame the US, the russians were doing it too.
    Supposedly with the end of the Cold War, the world passed from a Bipolar world to a Multipolar world, but the US just kept acting like International Police.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    No, and the US shouldn't act like it was. Because of late, and specially derived from the Cold War, the US practically abolished the self-determination of countries, but I don't blame the US, the russians were doing it too.
    Supposedly with the end of the Cold War, the world passed from a Bipolar world to a Multipolar world, but the US just kept acting like International Police.
    I'm all for our retreating back to our borders and leaving you all to fight it out with China if you don't mind us nuking a rogue nation every 5 to 7 years? Purely a preventaitve measure, you understand? Because we either walk the beat or we shoot back everytime we are shot at. Look at it from our point of view skel.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by SkeLeton
    the US practically abolished the self-determination of countries, but I don't blame the US, the russians were doing it too.
    Dude, just think of it as a continuation of Manifest Destiny. You'd be much happier as an American.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Look at it from our point of view skel.
    I know I'm just day-deaming about world peace and all, but the US could at least make a better effort for multi-lateralism? Afterall the "evil-doers" won't take it as a direct attack of the US but rather like "a bunch of countries kicked my ass". Too bad that's just theory, and if I add the human stupidity factor to said theory, the result won't vary much...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Hell no!!

N. Korea, in particular, is pissing me off big time. I cannot understand why we still give them financial aid. Don't they hate us?
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Oct 2003 at 4:30 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: Yeah!!

Originally posted by mendelman
    N. Korea, in particular, is pissing me off big time. I cannot understand why we still give them financial aid. Don't they hate us?
    -Its a love/hate relationship. I can't wait to go visit, going try me some BBQ dog, or maybe get some KFK (Korean Fried Kitten).
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Yeah!!

Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    -Its a love/hate relationship. I can't wait to go visit, going try me some BBQ dog, or maybe get some KFK (Korean Fried Kitten).
    Dont forget the 8 year old male prostitutes a-plenty.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: Re: Re: Yeah!!

Originally posted by Chet
    Dont forget the 8 year old male prostitutes a-plenty.
    Whoa I think I should give you the crown back Pete Townshend!!
    of course this was meant as a BEYOTCH SLAp

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Blame us? When things are going wrong they always blame us. Just like France, they don't want to support us in war, but they want a piece of the pie after we go in and fight.
    An interesting point except for the possibility (probability) that the French were right in their assessment of the Iraq war.

There was and still is strong evidence that there are no WMD nor were there terrorist activities in Iraq.

Therefore, Iraq was not an imminent threat to the United States and was less of a threat than many other countries.

Therefore there was time to work with the international community and the UN to find a diplomatic response to Iraq.

Therefore, the war as fought was a war of choice by the administration, rather than a war of necessity to protect the United States and its citizens from an immediate threat.

This is not to say that we would not have had to take military action, even unilateral military action, at a later date -- but that we left a lot of diplomatic cards on the table which might have been able to prevent the war. Our soldiers have performed admirably but it is possible we could have resolved Iraq without loss of American soldiers or the exceedingly high cost to American taxpayhers.

Also, when the French "want a piece of the pie," they are saying the solution from now on should be international. That's also the truth.

It is particularly true that the best way to fight international terrorism is to have a lot of allies working with you. Probably the worst approach is to publicly humiliate your traditional allies because they won't support you in a war that appears to be based on fabrications rather than truth.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    simple answer: NO
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    May 2003
    That's too simple. Can't we bulk it up a bit, like our staff reports.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    If we're responsible for the world, then we might as well get the order form out for the diapers.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Wulf9
    That's too simple. Can't we bulk it up a bit, like our staff reports.
    What, I like them clean and to the point:

If its a wanted economic development project:

If Wal Mart:

NO !

Mod Note: Kids the animated thing violated Dan's rules. Dont try this at home. For punishment, I shall now be spanked from PlannerGirl, as soon as she returns from Home Depot.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    My head hurts. The reason he's jumping up and down is that Wal-mart just hired some new illegal aliens.

Registered
    May 2003
    Just to clarify, Bolivia wasn't our fault, right?

If it wasn't, they need to **** off. Otherwise, they can take a number...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Chet

Mod Note: Kids the animated thing violated Dan's rules. Dont try this at home. For punishment, I shall now be spanked from PlannerGirl, as soon as she returns from Home Depot.
    Is that a punishment?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Oct 2011, 10:45 AM
  2. Taking responsibility
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Sep 2007, 8:10 PM
  3. Responsibility of the applicant
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 17