Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Canadian Donut Scandal!!! (Was part of NE What's for lunch)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    [full alert mode] Donuts?? Did somebody say donuts??? [/full alert mode]
    There was a story on the National last night about tim horton's going to a centralized bakery system and sending half frozen donuts to all of the shops for rethermalization/final cooking.

Most people they asked on the street did not like the idea of it.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by donk
    There was a story on the National last night about tim horton's going to a centralized bakery system and sending half frozen donuts to all of the shops for rethermalization/final cooking.
    Scandalous!!!! My sister-in-law works at a Timmy's - I'm gonna hafta give her a piece of my mind.

Why oh why, when faced with competition from Krispey Kreme's freshly made product, would Tim Horton's switch to pre-cooked?

Sorry, guess I take my donuts a little too seriously...

Registered
    Sep 2001
    What is worse you taking them that seriously or the National doing a 10 minute story on it, including interviews with Ron Joyce (co -founder CEO during expansion) and people on the street?

I've looked around the cbc web site and can't find anything.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    Most people they asked on the street did not like the idea of it.
    Is this an example of the famous Canadian restraint and politeness, that when asked how they would feel if someone tampered with their sugar-frosted national icon, they said that they didn't like the idea? No rioting, picketing, or gnashing of teeth??
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just another reason why you should go Southern and switch to Krispy Kreme. Nothing like their fresh hot glazed.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Nothing like their fresh hot glazed.
    Oh, Chet?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Do I think about work too much, the first thought that came to my mind was the building permit fee for the renovations needed for the freezers.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Just another reason why you should go Southern and switch to Krispy Kreme. Nothing like their fresh hot glazed.
    I bought some Kispr Kreme stock a while back. Every time a see a fat person I think "ca-ching!"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Tim's had better clear the track, eddie shack is coming to get you.

This building used to be a strip bar when I was a kid.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't like Tim Hortons at all... so this won't affect me in any way. But then, I don't like Krispy Kremes either. I tried one once when they came to L.A. (because of the Beastie Boys song) and was very disappointed. Not that I need to be eating that crap anyway...

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I used to work for Tim's way back when, and I think this move would seriously hurt their donut sales. Mind you, they're raking in cash on coffee and lunch-related items, so maybe they're relegating donuts to be a little lower-maintenance product. It takes a lot of space in a kitchen to make those donuts, and they would save a lot if they were pre-made (not to mention bakers' wages, etc.).

I'm against the practice, but I can see why they might be doing it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Scandal and legacies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 3:08 PM
  2. Brewing Scandal at APA
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 1:39 PM
  3. Political Scandal
    Friday Afternoon Club