Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Buffalo, New York - North Buffalo [w/images, long]

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Buffalo, New York - North Buffalo [w/images, long]

Introducing ... North Buffalo!

During the go-go 1920s, North Buffalo was considered the equivalent of Amherst or Clarence today; a shiny and new, booming and prosperous area. Streets platted in the late 1800s and early 1900s finally began to fill with houses ranging from Buffalo's characteristic two-flats to small mansions, as neighborhoods closer in became built out.

Streetcar lines that were built to North Buffalo before World War I, many in private rights-of-way, finally began to fill with passengers. Despite the streetcars, much of North Buffalo was developed with the car in mind. New houses were separated far enough to accomodate a driveway between them, and detached garages in the back yard were often standard.

North Buffalo was never a strongly ethnic neighborhood, but a large plurality of residents were Jews who relocated from the crowded lower East Side. In the 1970s through the present, Buffalo's Jewish population have slowly moved further to the northeast; those of modest means landed in eastern Tonawanda, while middle and upper income families settled in the Maple Road area in Amherst.

North Buffalo's Jews were replaced by Italian-Americans, most of which relocated from the lower and middle West Side. Buffalo's Puerto Rican community started in the Virginia Street area of the lower West Side, and grew northward towards Grant Street, the heart of Buffalo's Little Italy. Those that had the means moved a couple of miles away, to the western end of North Buffalo.

Today, North Buffalo is cosidered a stable, desirable city neighborhood. Some Jews remain, and Italians are the new dominant plurality. Despite all the Italian restaurants and specialty stores that line Hertel Avenue, though, North Buffalo is a multi-ethnic (but primarily European) neighborhood.

Where's all the people? First off, it was a weekday afternoon. Secondly, some North Buffalo residents are from the families of "legitimate businessmen", and they don't like to be photographed, capice? I got far more stink-eye documenting North Buffalo than any other place I've visited.

Here's a sampling of Hertel Avenue, a long street that forms the heart of North Buffalo's linear business district. Click on any image for a larger version.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    More Hertel Avenue.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Here's a cross-section of housing in North Buffalo. Click on any image for a larger version.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Nices pics, good thing you weren't there when they where fixing the streetscape. That was a mess.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Buffalo looks amazingly like my hometown (Fort Wayne, Indiana)-especially the neighborhoods.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Buffalo looks so nice in your photos. I have never been there. Why doe it get such a bad rap?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Yeah, Dan. Can you post some images from the more "decayed" parts of town-like maybe Lacka-alquaida-awana?

Old industrial buildings are way cool subjects for photos!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by BKM
    Yeah, Dan. Can you post some images from the more "decayed" parts of town-like maybe Lacka-alquaida-awana?

Old industrial buildings are way cool subjects for photos!
    Check out the Concrete Central pics, I don't think any alquida were hiding in there though.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I did. Pretty cool photos! I should have commented. I would, however, like to see them on a sunny day.

Or, do you guys ever get those in October (just kidding-I could actually do with some clouds and cool temperatures. It was 91 in San Francisco yesterday-and the cool, gray city of love is not very attractive at 91 degrees )

images wont open

the North Buffalo images arent opening. What program is required, anyone know? Thanks

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    the North Buffalo images arent opening. What program is required, anyone know? Thanks
    Moderator note:
    This is an old thread, and it's likely the images have been moved to a different part of the Cyburbia Gallery.

Check the gallery for Buffalo Images here: http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=516
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

that does it, thanks, and you have a wonderful message board here.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Boost Buffalo
    that does it, thanks, and you have a wonderful message board here.
    Thanks, and please feel free to introduce yourself to us all!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 05 May 2004, 10:54 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 27 Oct 2003, 12:13 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 14 Oct 2003, 2:02 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 08 Oct 2003, 1:01 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 Sep 2003, 4:08 PM