Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: welcome to CALGARY :: 86 sunny photos

welcome to CALGARY :: 86 sunny photos

that's right, i'm in the rich, booming, sprawling, refooooooorm-lovin' city every canadian loves to hate (mostly without reason, of course). this is the first leg of my trans-pacific two-month vacation that will see my indomitable girlfriend and i in vancouver and hong kong, with sidetrips to macau and possibly shenzhen or guangzhou.

so, let's enjoy a trip to...

CALGARY

REAL cowboys take the bus.

downtown streets on a weekday afternoon...

downtown streets on a saturday evening...

and finally...

see you in vancouver!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    When will you be in Vancouver? I do hope the weather cooperates. We don't get our reliably sunny days until mid-July.

we'll be in vancouver from the 14th to the 21st of july and again from the 21st to the 28th of august. i wouldn't worry too much about the weather -- i'm sure i'll have a great time regardless. vancouver is almost like a second second home for me (the other being calgary, of course), since i'm there at least once a year. my girlfriend's family lives there.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sweet

Nice Photo's of Calgary.

But I can't help but think that Calgary is a mirror image of Denver (population/dev. patterns) from 15-20 years ago (minus China Town of course ) I know that when I was up there in 1991(U. Calgary), they were just starting to build outside of the "developed" areas into the surrounding ranches/farms in a big way (sad )
    One of those classic scenes back then, when you could put one foot in urbanized areas and another in honest to god cattle country/farms.

I think I'll google map/earth Calgary and see if it looks as though they are going the way of Denver as far as development patterns 15 years ago.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Nice Photo's of Calgary.

But I can't help but think that Calgary is a mirror image of Denver (population/dev. patterns) from 15-20 years ago (minus China Town of course ) I know that when I was up there in 1991(U. Calgary), they were just starting to build outside of the "developed" areas into the surrounding ranches/farms in a big way (sad )
    One of those classic scenes back then, when you could put one foot in urbanized areas and another in honest to god cattle country/farms.

I think I'll google map/earth Calgary and see if it looks as though they are going the way of Denver as far as development patterns 15 years ago.....
    The northern edge of Calgary is bumping up against Edmonton, while the southern edge is creeping into Montana!

OK, that's an exaggeration, but there is some pretty major sprawl in Calgary.

It was interesting to see some summer pics of the city. I've only been there in the wintertime. Thanks.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by christopher dewolf
    we'll be in vancouver from the 14th to the 21st of july and again from the 21st to the 28th of august. i wouldn't worry too much about the weather -- i'm sure i'll have a great time regardless. vancouver is almost like a second second home for me (the other being calgary, of course), since i'm there at least once a year. my girlfriend's family lives there.
    I recently discovered that the Architectural Institute of BC is conducting walking tours this summer of 6 (7?) different areas of the Vancouver core, from Tues-Sat, at 1pm. I don't know whether that is your cup of tea or not, but I thought I would pass it along anyways. I plan on catching a few of them, starting this saturday. Maybe drop me a line if you end up going to one - otherwise we might even be at the same event without knowing it.

http://www.aibc.ca/pub_resources/aib...king_tour.html
    http://www.aibc.ca/pub_resources/aib...ochure_web.pdf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 1:59 PM
  2. Imagine Calgary
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jun 2008, 10:37 AM
  3. Hi from Calgary, AB
    Introduce Yourself