Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article - Four Books That Should Be On Every City Officials’ Summer Reading List

Jun 2003
    De Noc

Article - Four Books That Should Be On Every City Officials’ Summer Reading List

“Move: Putting America’s Infrastructure in the Lead,” by Rosabeth Moss Kanter, 2015

“Urban Acupuncture – Celebrating Pinpricks of Change that Enrich City Life,” by Jaime Lerner, 2014

“The Metropolitan Revolution-How Cities and Metros are Fixing Our Broken Politics and Fragile Economy,” by Bruce Katz and Jennifer Bradley, 2013

“The Resilience Dividend Being Strong in a World Where Things Go Wrong,” by Judith Rodin, 2014

Has anybody read any of these & would you recommend it ?
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Nov 2002
    Ocean to the east, land to the west
    Reading "Move". It's fairly good although she has a bias against "bureaucracy" when she doesn't always explain what she means by it. For example, she's all for Uber without realizing that some first generation Americans have big loans they paid out for medallions thinking they would be worth something, and Uber is taking that value away. I am all for moving away from old models of transportation but let's think of the human element.

Also, her tone is a little too folksy for someone who is a Harvard Business School professor. She describes a meeting with a Turkish official and that while she was talking business with they guy, "her staff" was "munching" on the candy he gave them. Nice to know the lil folks are happy with their sweets.

So far the interesting takeaways are: that rail freight did exactly what passenger rail was supposed to do, move away from a public system to a private profitable system. And that flying sucks the joy out of everyone.

Jan 2009
    Remote command post at local bar
    Not that it's relevant to the book (I haven't read it), but she should have explained Turkish traditions. It's normal to offer someone candy or coffee or something when you're doing business and it's generally rude not to accept.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 9:03 PM
  2. Reading List: Urban Planning
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Oct 2013, 12:49 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 29 Nov 2010, 4:13 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Mar 2009, 11:34 AM