Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Carl Hiaasen's "Hoot". It's actually a kids book, but it's pretty amusing in Hiaasen's usual twisted way.
    "Hoot" rocked! I read it last year when I rode the sardine can (aka "airplane) back east last year. My mother also got a big kick out of it. I love Hiaasen. Something about the twisted reality of Florida inspires great novels-especially "detective novels."

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Am currently reading 'The London Pigeon Wars' by Patrick Neate. So far, its funny and very clever. One of the best books I've read for a while, and a little bit different.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Greenescapist
    I got the Vintage guide to Paul Bowles's works yesterday at the library. He is awesome for anyone who likes dark, psychological fiction. He writes mostly about North Africa, where he lived as an American ex-patriate for years.

"The Sheltering Sky" by him is one of my favorite books.
    I love his short stories... his wife has a book of short stories as well that are quite good.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Will probably start Despair by Nabokov next.
    Let me know how it is. Have you read much Nabokov? Obviously, Lolita was really good, but Glory wasn't, IMO.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Let me know how it is. Have you read much Nabokov? Obviously, Lolita was really good, but Glory wasn't, IMO.
    Yeah, I have read a lot of Nabokov. My favourites are King, Queen, Knave, Invitation to a Beheading and Mary (Mary being my absolute favourite). Lolita is great too. The copy of Despair I have I received for Christmas (it's a first edition so I'll have to be careful!)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Rural Renaissance: Renewing the Quest for the Good Life by John Ivanko adn Lisa Kivirist.
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Finished - "The Nature of Economies" by Jacobs
    Started - "The Oldest City - St. Augustine - Saga of Survival"
    On the Shelf - "Animal Farm - 1984" by Orwell; "The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories" by Tolstoy; and others
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Yeah, I have read a lot of Nabokov. My favourites are King, Queen, Knave, Invitation to a Beheading and Mary (Mary being my absolute favourite). Lolita is great too. The copy of Despair I have I received for Christmas (it's a first edition so I'll have to be careful!)
    I love Nabokov and even took a course on him in college. Lolita is one of my favorite books. I did like Glory a lot, too. It was much lighter, but a nice story with a whimsical ending. The Defense and Invitation to a Beheading were also great. I did not really get The Gift and never attempted Pale Fire- I bet I wouldn't get that either. The volume of his short stories is great, too.

I just read 1984- I never read it before and really liked it. I want to read something else by Ian McEwan next, maybe Enduring Love. Now that I'm done with school, I feel like I have more time for fun and challenging fiction reading.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quick little book "FISH"

Anybody else out there been talked to about the FISH theory to boost morale and improve your workplace?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Last Chance to See, Douglas Adams

And all this AICP exam crap...

Registered
    Jul 2002
    My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. First I've read of hers. Not bad so far.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    Quick little book "FISH"

Anybody else out there been talked to about the FISH theory to boost morale and improve your workplace?
    Yes, but I do everything I can to espouse a contradictory theory of workplace productivity and morale.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Nevada Barr's "Hard Truth". The latest in a series of mysteries about a National Park ranger. Each book is set in a different park.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Confederates in the Attic, by Tony Horwitz. Just finished it actually. It's about how the "lost cause" still resonates in the south and I recommend it although it is a bit dated.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Ringworld's Children by Larry Nivens. I know, I know, I'm a geek.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    In a weak moment last night I bought "Hadji Murad" by Tolstoy and started reading it. Now I've got two books going at once. Do people typically have two books or more going at once? I ususlly only have one going at a time.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner
    Ringworld's Children by Larry Nivens. I know, I know, I'm a geek.
    At least you're not six volumes into a sword and sorcery series. Glen Cook's Black Company saga continue, with "She is the Darkness"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    In a weak moment last night I bought "Hadji Murad" by Tolstoy and started reading it. Now I've got two books going at once. Do people typically have two books or more going at once? I ususlly only have one going at a time.
    I usually have 2 or 3 going at once. One at home, one in the car (waiting in lines, etc) and one at work for lunch hours.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I usually have 2 or 3 going at once. One at home, one in the car (waiting in lines, etc) and one at work for lunch hours.
    Wow, no can do. When this happens to me it's because I get sucked into the abyss which is Barnes & Noble. If I get to a city 2 or 3 hours before I need to, I spend $30 at the book store and plop downs somewhere to read. In fact, JR called me tonight while I was at a convenience store finishing up

"Hadji Murad" by Tolstoy and started
    "The Sorrows of Young Werther" by Goethe. I can tell this book is going to be emotionally trying for me. I can already see that the main character (the book is written as a series of letters) is in many ways like me. He apparently falls in complete and consuming love with a woman who is engaged. HMMMM, sound familiar....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    On Deck - My Uncle's Dream by Dostoyevsky and Deception Point by Brown.
    Hmmm Deception point is uhm... disappointing... Oh well, it's a fun read although and like all Dan Brown books, they're easy to read and movie-ish written.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Finished - "The Sorrow of Young Werther" by van Goethe
    Started - "Animal Farm" and "1984" by Orwell
    On-Deck - I don't know......

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've just got a stack of ho-hum mysteries I'm plowing through.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    You guys are all soooooo literary. I just picked up the new "Spenser for Hire" novel (Hawk is shot in a Russian mob hit )

Also, the first compilation volume of the Wraethru series.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm about to complete "Lost Light" by Michael Connelly. A murder/mystery.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A new cookbook. Trying to find a good recipe to try this weekend.

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM