Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer - read during many flight delays on a Euro vacation last month.

The writing itself is not the greatest - he's trying a little too hard to do an In-Cold- Blood weaving of stories together and to prove to us that he did lots of research - but I knew very little about the history of the Mormons and it's, uh, very interesting.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    "The 50 Best Ways to Simplify Your Life: Proven Techniques for Achieving Lasting Balance" by Patrick Fanning and Heather Garnos Mitchener.

Lots of good ideas, but the same thing happens: I don't want to do the exercise that these self-help books suggest.

Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Finished - "The Nature of Economies" by Jacobs
    Started - "The Oldest City - St. Augustine - Saga of Survival"
    On the Shelf - "Animal Farm - 1984" by Orwell; "The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories" by Tolstoy; and others
    Budgie, how is Jacobs' The Nature of Economies"? I got it for Christmas a few years ago and still haven't touched it.

And, to answer your question about if I read more than one book at a time. I say YES! I got to do it so that I cannot not get bored with the book. Yet, I'm trying to overcome my "university way of reading" - skimming for the jist - so that I can take the time to enjoy the books. I haven't conquer it yet probably because I go back to this skimming style every fall despite having the summers off. Am I alone with this syndrome?
    Last edited by nerudite; 27 Jun 2005 at 10:27 PM. Reason: merged

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Suburban Nation by Duany, Plater-Zyberk, et. al.
    Leadership by Rudy Giuliani
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    Budgie, how is Jacobs' The Nature of Economies"? I got it for Christmas a few years ago and still haven't touched it.
    It is a non-fiction book written as an ongoing conversation among acquaintances. The organic economic theory is sound and thought provoking, but the format is a bit droning towards the end. But given the topic (even though it is one I am very interested in), the book does keep your interest long enough to have some of it soak in. It's any easy read, so pick it up and finish it.

Found a copy of Nabakov's "King, Queen, Knave" on the library give away (discard) shelf. After chastizing the Library Director a bit (her and I are always picking on eachother in jest), I placed the book on my to read shelf. Nice find.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 1999

Stephanie Plum

I just got Janet Evanovich's "Eleven on Top" from Amazon today. I'm sure it'll be another hysterically-funny read.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Reading Blue Latitudes, which is a modern day trek on the course Captain Cook embarked on during the 1700's

I'm also trying to get through Kuntsler's Geography of Nowhere, but the read mentioned above is keeping me occupied.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'd forgotten how good a writer Ursula LeGuin is. I'm reading an old book of hers I'd never read. The Left Hand of Darkness

Fascinating. I like "politica/sociological" science fiction.

Also: Classicism in Copenhaven. I really like Nordic Neoclassicism.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I just got Janet Evanovich's "Eleven on Top" from Amazon today. I'm sure it'll be another hysterically-funny read.
    Very funny book. Although Lula wasn't in it enough. Lula is the ex-hooker who wants to be a bounty hunter. LOL funny.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I just finished Tim Russert's book Big Russ & Me last night. A good read, IMO.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I started "Stormy Weather" by Carl Hiaasen.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Soldiers Live, the last novel in Glen Cook's "Black Company" series. It's a little slow going, and he is killing off his characters one by one.

Anyone with a military background at all interested in fantasy/science fiction might find this series interesting, by the way. He has an interesting way about describing the minutia of a military campaign. It's the only fantasy series I've read that has a discussion of military camp sanitation sprinkled

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm reading a murder mystery by James Patterson: "The 4th of July"; good weekend for it, I guess...

Registered
    May 2003

In Honor of The Man...

My daughter generously presented me with a Barnes & Noble Gift Card for Father's Day this year and this week I acquired the 3rd volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative.

Being a Civil War buff, I'd always wanted to read his stuff and his recent departure reminded me of the need to do so.

It's a massive tome - 1,000 pages - so I'll be immersed in his rich prose well past Labor Day, I think...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Having finished Soldiers Live, I am now just starting Bangkok Tattoo, by John Burdett. I found fascinating Bangkok 8, his first novel in the series about a Buddhist police lieutenant in Thailand and the cultural issues. In Bangkok Tattoo, one of the prostitutes in the brothel owned by his mother and the district Police Commander murders a customer, and they try to blame the killing on Al Qaeda.

Registered
    Feb 2000

7-11-05

Finished - Animal Farm & 1984 by Orwell
    Started - A Confession and Other Religious Writings by Tolstoy
    On Deck - The Republic and Other Works by Plato; King, Queen, Knave by Nabakov; Bushwhacked by Ivins.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I've started (tend to read a few books, inefficiently, at one time):

Michael Moorcock: The Skrayling Tree-fascinating mumbo jumbo fantasy/theology/philosophy. Too much expository text to flow very well as a novel, but still, I love Moorcock. He lives in TEXAS now .

Almost finished: Plazas de Cataluna: Fantastic photoessay on urban squares in Catalonia. Awesome!

Also: Classicism in Copenhagen-love Nordic Classicism!

Next Up: Cortili in Lombardia-a great photoessay on courtyards and plazas in Lombardy, Italy.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Reading: Salt Fish Girl by Larissa Lai - amazing work. I thought fiction was dead and buried, with every character and scenario already having been written in every combination. I was wrong.

Just read: Dostoevsky's The Idiot and Jane Jacobs' Dark Age Ahead.

Next up: Mumford's inimitable The City in History should be arriving by mail shortly, alongside In Seach of Elegance: Towards an Architecture of Satisfaction. (I was interested in the latter book, but not enough given its $40-ish price. Fortunately Amazon decided to put it on sale at 75% off and I picked it up for $8.xx CDN.)

Registered
    Aug 2001

On Vacation...

Re-read The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles (one of my favourite books). When I was in the library I saw a romance by James Howard Kunstler and so I read it out of sheer curiosity more than anything (it was called Maggie Darling). It was pretty bad, but I guess that's standard for romance novels.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    When I was in the library I saw a romance by James Howard Kunstler and so I read it out of sheer curiosity more than anything (it was called Maggie Darling). It was pretty bad, but I guess that's standard for romance novels.
    And Kunstler's writing in general. (too easy)

I am currently reading the following

Orson Scott Caird - Ender's Game series, on book 4 of 6. The series is starting to drag and I am unsure if I am going to read teh last 2 books.

Just finished On the Road with the Ramones by Monte Melnick. Neat book of quotes from band memebrs and roadies. Good pictures

The following are in the queue

Nick Hornby Book
    The Big book of Jewish Conspiracies. Too bad it is not in comic form like other "big" books.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jan 2005
    As a baseball fan, I just finished The Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty by Buster Olney. It's a good book especially if you don't like the New York Yankees.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    White Teeth by Zadie Smith. Hilarious opening chapter. goes down hill from there. Its awfully LONG.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Today the new Harry Potter book is out. I can tell you what I'm starting to read today. They are a fun read.

Finished the Harry Potter book this afternoon. You don't know what I know.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 11:00 AM.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's, "The Tipping Point." Very interesting and I'd recommend it. My friend gave me Jared Diamond's "Collapse" and I'm getting stared on that now... it's a beast though.

Gettysburg by Stephen W. Sears. It is the best one volume account of the epic battle I've read, especially his account of the first day (which is sadly overlooked in most histories, IMO). The maps are just okay. Regrettably, Sears and his editor insist on scratching their collective fingernails on the proverbial blackboard by assaulting the reader with "try and" on seemingly every other page.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just started Sarah Dunant's Birth of Venus on the plane back from vacation. Seems good so far, but I'm only on page 45 or so.

+ Reply to thread
Page 13 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM