Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Various cookbooks and home reno books, depending on what I'm working on at the moment.

Went to the library last night and put holds on a few things - biography of General Auchinleck, biography of General Percival, Martin Amis's "Yellow Dog".

Still waiting for Donk to lend me "Fever Pitch"

Registered
    May 2005
    How to Talk to a Liberal by Ann Coulter
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Various cookbooks and home reno books, depending on what I'm working on at the moment.

Went to the library last night and put holds on a few things - biography of General Auchinleck, biography of General Percival, Martin Amis's "Yellow Dog".

Still waiting for Donk to lend me "Fever Pitch"
    Remind me to bring it on staurday, that and the tupperware container I still have.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Because she gets free shipping, ZG ordered me a couple of NY Times cookbooks last night from Amazon. Hopefully, I'll get them this weekend.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just read Mapping the Edge by Dunant. Not as good as Birth of Venus. For the next few weeks we'll be concentrating on cabinet/woodworking books.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

A fun fiction book about abstract cities in 12th century as told with imaginary conversations between Marco Polo and a Khan.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Dudewheresmyplan?
    Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino.

A fun fiction book about abstract cities in 12th century as told with imaginary conversations between Marco Polo and a Khan.
    Very very interesting premise and delivery !!!! Sounds worth a gander.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Very very interesting premise and delivery !!!! Sounds worth a gander.
    The book is quite interesting and all in a very short package (around 150-160 pages).

If you read it, let me know how you like it.

Andrew

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I just finished "The Mermaid Chair" by Sue Monk Kidd, who also wrote "The Secret Life of Bees", which I read is being made into a movie. Liked "Bees' the best, by far. Good Southern stuff. Great book.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ya-Ya's in Bloom. Another southern chick book. But a lot of fun.

Busy weekend. I only got to read 3 books.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

My wife's reading a book called Wicked by Gregory Maguire, now a Broadway musical about the history of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz....kinda interesting....I might take a look when she's done.....Anyone from Kansas reading this book yet?? Anyone seen the musical??
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Myself and my girlfriend at the time went to see Wicked on Broadway last year. It was VERY good and I recommend it to any theatre enthusiasts. The stage was amazingly beautiful and the actors talented. I remember the girl who played Glenda accidently broke her wand during the performance and instead of letting it stop her, she just threw it over her shoulder and giggled "Who needs a stupid wand anyway!"

Very funny.

From what I hear, the ending of the book and the broadway performance differ, but I wouldn't know any specifics as I haven't read the book.

Andrew

Registered
    Apr 2002
    "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey -- interesting memoir about struggling and eventual recovery from drug and alcohol addiction.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Max Weber's Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism and Hannah Arendt's Human Condition.... Friggin Sociology... (I have to read the first one completely)

Thank god my other courses aren't too read-heavy

Registered
    May 2003

It's Pretty Good When You Get Into It..

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton
    Max Weber's Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism and Hannah Arendt's Human Condition.... Friggin Sociology... (I have to read the first one completely)

Thank god my other courses aren't too read-heavy
    Skel:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Hannah Arendt's work when you get to it. My undergrad work was in Political Science and I read quite a bit of her stuff - voluntarily - as I found her to be a very lucid writer and thinker.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    On deck as soon as Amazon gets it to me:

On Paradise Drive by David Brooks. Though he has a reputation as a conservative writer (though a little more moderate) for the New York Times, many of my more liberal friends have told me that they loved the book. From what I understand, Brooks spends most of the book making fun of the middle-upper class way of life with our never-ending consumerism and giant houses, etc. My friends recommended the book knowing my interest in sociology and observing behaviors of people. I may write up a review on this one when I finish since it sounds like it hits on the causes for some problems affecting planning and urban issues.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Kangaroo by Yuz Aleshkovsky.

It's form is like Portnoy's Compliant (one long, slightly disjointed monologue) and satirzes the history and compostion and culture of Soviet Russia from the point of view of a long time russian criminal being sent through the State investigation/imprisonment system.
    Last edited by mendelman; 25 Aug 2005 at 11:16 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Finished - Scene of the Clerical Life by George Eliot
    Started - The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories by Tolstoy
    On Deck - First Love and Other Stories by Turgenev; The Republic and Other Works by Plato; Bushwhacked by Ivins; others.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I am reading and enjoying Jessica by Bryce Courtenay. Like his other books that I've read it is quite dark & depressing in its portrayal of human nature.. but he's such a good storyteller I have to keep reading in the hope that Jessica's life must eventually improve!! Set in Australia in the early 1900s if anyone is interested.

ZG - your bees reference reminded me of A Recipe for Bees which is a book I really enjoyed - have you read that one? By Gail Anderson-Dargatz. Also loved A Rhinestone Button by her.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just about finished reading "The Crazy Years" by Spider Robinson. It is a collection of his columns from the Globe and Mail from the past 10 years. The title is from Robert A Heinlein's description of the time at the turn of teh 21st Century.

Not sure what i snext, I have a conspiracy book to read and then maybe pick up another book in the ender series by orson scott caird.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke

It's a grown-ups Harry Potter about the last 2 English magicians in England in the early 1800's. Very complex; lots of long footnotes that would make sense if there really was magic in England, referring to past "events" and "books" like they really happened. I've read 444 pages this weekend out of this 782 page book. It's a slow start, but then really, really good.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Picked up enders shadow by orson scott caird yesterday. Much better/more my style than books 2 and 3 in the series, but then again it is a companion volume to the first book. About half way through, should be done by tuesday. I sometimes wish I did not like owning books as much as I do. The I'll be on to the next in the series

Still working on the conspiracy book as time permits

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Martin Amis - Yellow Dog I like it, but it's a bit bizarre.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Finished Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. I love these books, it takes me no time to read them.

This doesn't give the ending away, but WTF??? Rowling has to go beyond the 7 books intended for this series.

+ Reply to thread
Page 15 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 25 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM