Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

I agree Rowling should do more than the planned 7 Potter books. I think there are a lot of great stories still in that world. I read an article in Time (I think) a while back where she already has a book in mind for after she finishes the 7th Potter one - in a different genre entirely although I don't remember what. She said that she was tired of writing fantasy novels. \

I am reading a novel called "War Trash" by Ha Jin and it is the story of a Chinese soldier captured by Americans during the Korean war and his struggle to survive being a POW a dealing with the two Chinese factions in the prison camp - the Communists and the Nationalists. It is written in the style of a memoir and is a very good read so far.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Started: "Lucky You" by Carl Hiaasen (barrowed from ZG). On deck: "Florida Roadkill" by Tim Dorsey (recommended by ZG). Next: "Eisenhower" by David Eisenhower (yes, lent to me by ZG....geez, will y'all leave me alone?).
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Just finished an amazing book: Bangkock Tattoo, about a Thai Police Officer/part time brothel operator. It has everything: Bhuddism, Police Corruption, horrif crimes, sleazy nightlife, meditations on the American mind version the Bhuddist philosophy. Almost impossible to describe! What an amazing book!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Dorothy Cannell's "How to Murder the Man of Your Dreams". But it's a very pedestrian mystery, so I'll probably toss it, and visit the library tomorrow for something more interesting. I hate waiting a year or more in between for my favorite authors to publish something new.

Just finished The Partner by John Grisham. I thought it was one of his better books. Looking for a good science fiction book to read.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by transformer
    Just finished The Partner by John Grisham. I thought it was one of his better books. Looking for a good science fiction book to read.
    Here is a list of Sci Fi books I've read and enjoyed and reccomend to people.

Door into Summer - Robert Heinlein
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Caird
    Stone God Awakens Phillip Jose Farmer
    Callahans Crosstime Saloon - Spider Robinson
    The Dreaming Jewels - Theodore Sturgeon
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Here is a list of Sci Fi books I've read and enjoyed and reccomend to people.

Door into Summer - Robert Heinlein
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Caird
    Stone God Awakens Phillip Jose Farmer
    Callahans Crosstime Saloon - Spider Robinson
    The Dreaming Jewels - Theodore Sturgeon
    I really, really liked Ursula LeGuin's classic from 1969, The Left Hand of Darkness. A very intense, meditative book.

City planners should definitely check out the steam punk classic Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Awesome Dickensian city with some really strange fantasy elements in a well-realized "world" He loses control of the novel in places (five pages describing, it seems, every single step or dodge in a chase scene gets...annoying ) but worth wading through the flawed structure. I like his following novel, The Scar, even more. The last novel, Iron Council, is intriguing but marred by Marxist cant (As a good agnostic, I can't handle the religious silliness of communism. Can't believe in the purity of "the working class" very much) Still a good, young writer with a great future.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Read "Eleven on Top" by Evanovich in a day about a week ago. Quick read. I've since started on "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Kesey, and Kerouac's "On the Road" is on hold for me at the library.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Now that the days are getting shorter, the weather will be getting cooler (not yet.....three straight 90-degree daays in NW Ohio), and this Bear will curl-up with a goode book.

Time to get back to WAR AND PEACE.

I also want to buy the Bill Maher collection, NEW RULES.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Halfway through the new China Mieville short story collection. some really creepy stuff

Also starting the Wraethlu series. In a sci fi mood, I guess.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm reading The Stand finally, and I don't think I'm going to finish it. King bores me with all his details and I don't like any of his characters. And this is supposed to be his masterpiece?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    I'm reading The Stand finally, and I don't think I'm going to finish it. King bores me with all his details and I don't like any of his characters. And this is supposed to be his masterpiece?
    I agree. It is the only King book I have tried to read, and I got about half way through it and it just stalled....hard. It seemed like there were multiple chapters in a row that discuss the establishment of new goverance in Boulder....snooze-fest...
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Collapse by Jared Diamond. just starting it but sounds interesting. i haven't yet read Guns, Germs, and Steel by Diamond but that's on the list too.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Halfway through the last book in the "ender series"

Started reading "Born to Kvetch" a book about the history of yiddish language and culture.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Design with Nature by Ian McHarg
    and
    Ways of Seeing by John Berger

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Martin Amis - Yellow Dog I like it, but it's a bit bizarre.
    Is that the guy that did London Fields? That was an AWESOME book. I'd actually read it again. What did you think of the whole Yellow Dog book? Good enough to recommend?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Is that the guy that did London Fields? That was an AWESOME book. I'd actually read it again. What did you think of the whole Yellow Dog book? Good enough to recommend?
    Yes, I think it's the same guy. I would definitely recommend Yellow Dog, at least for those with an offbeat sense of humour.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Bought and started to read Neuromancer by Gibson, the first cyber punk sci-fi novel. Still a good read 21 years after it was published.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Up for Grabs by Rothchild. Figured I needed to learn a little about Florida's history and this book has been perfect for that.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Crabgrass Frontier Ken Jackson
    Design First Walters and Brown
    Readings in Planning Theory Campbell and Fainstein
    Geography of Urban Transportation Hanson and Giulano
    The Regional City Calthorpe and Fulton

All great books so far.
    Too much to digest at one time but that's grad school.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Clive Cussler's "Polar Shift"; just as fun as his books always are!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Now that I'm back to school, I've not been reading a lot of non-academic books. So here are a few academic books that I've been reading:

"A Journey into the Deaf-World" by Harlan Lane, Robert Hoffmeister, and Ben Bahan.

"Educating Deaf Students" by Marschark, Lang, and Albertini,

"Language across the curriculum" by B. Luetke-Stahlman

"Language Issues in Deaf Education" by B. Luetke-Stahlman

"Language Development: A reader for Teachers" by Power and Hubbard.

However, earlier in the summer, I read a few non-academic books:

- "Dibs: In search of Self"
    - "Brian Piccolo: A Short Season" by Jeannie Morris

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Hceux
    - "Brian Piccolo: A Short Season" by Jeannie Morris
    I went to the regional speech finals in high school using a piece about Brian Piccolo. Pretty funny from someone who pays no attention whatsoever to sports...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Working on "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It got some really good reviews. It has 3 parallel stories about researching, and perhaps encountering, Vlad the Impaler (Dracula): a teenager in the '70's, her father in the '50's, and his mentor in the '30's.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

book club

currently reading with my street's Book Club "Reading Lolita in Tehran" - who knew a subdivision with 2 acre plus lots could be so new urbanism to have a social circle? lol

also reading "the high cost of free parking" when i can't sleep - lol

+ Reply to thread
Page 16 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 1:28 AM