Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by CosmicMojo
    Get them at the Dollar Store!
    I do want the prescription lenses, though, not just magnifying glasses. I have a fairly significant astigmatism that complicates the near sightedness my prescription lenses really focus on. Maybe I just need the See Clearly Method (lol)

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    I do want the prescription lenses, though, not just magnifying glasses. I have a fairly significant astigmatism that complicates the near sightedness my prescription lenses really focus on. Maybe I just need the See Clearly Method (lol)
    I need a prescription too probably, I'm just trying to hold that off as long as possible and the over-the-counter magnifiers are doing the job for now. I just wanted you to know they can be had for a buck at the dollar store instead of $20 at the drugstore. Not as many style choices, of course.

Registered
    May 2002
    I just got Kunstler's new book, "The Long Emergency". We've had threads on oil depletion and Kunstler before on Cyburbia. Now, for your convenience, they're joined between two covers!
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Feb 2000

3-27-06

Finished - Deception Point by Brown
    Starting - Love in the time of Cholorea by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (the Great Gabo)

I find the Great Gabo's writing style very engaging and humorous. Has anyone read A Thousand Years of Solitude?
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Starting - Love in the time of Cholorea by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (the Great Gabo)

I find the Great Gabo's writing style very engaging and humorous. Has anyone read A Thousand Years of Solitude?
    I love his books and short stories too. But I had not adopted a pet name for him yet!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I just finished "The World is Flat" and the "The Two-Income Trap."

Now I am working on:
    "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk"
    by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Planner Hottie
    But I had not adopted a pet name for him yet!
    I didn't come up with that name. It is my understanding that he is known as the Great Gabo throughout the Spanish speaking world. I think he won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1982..... or sometime around then.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I didn't come up with that name. It is my understanding that he is known as the Great Gabo throughout the Spanish speaking world. I think he won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1982..... or sometime around then.
    I figured something like that was the case. I was just poking fun for no good reason at all.

I thought they had made a movie of one of his stories, but I couldn't find any reference. I think Love in the Time of Cholera would make a lovely film.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    A Gathering of Old Men-Ernest Gaines...forced reading by evil English Lit prof who is a whole 25 years old. It's about a black sharecropper murdering his white landowner in Louisiana.

The Monk that Sold His Ferrari......given to me and it's actually pretty interesting.

Here is a link To Gabo's films http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0305781/
    Last edited by kjel; 28 Mar 2006 at 3:30 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Got the Chronicles of Narnia (all 7 books in one paperback edition) for Xmas. Time to read 'em and see what all the hoopla is about.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    From the AP Wire:

Monty Python Actor's Book to Be Required
    LONDON -- A travel book written by a former Monty Python comedian will become required reading in high school geography classes, Britain's school minister said Thursday, as the government seeks to boost interest in geography.

"Himalaya" follows Michael Palin's 1,800-mile, six-month trek through India, Pakistan and China in 2003 and 2004.

Palin -- known for the catch phrase "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!" on the cult British TV comedy series "Monty Python's Flying Circus" -- has filmed seven travel documentaries, including several for the British Broadcasting Corp.

"You can travel the seas, poles and deserts and see nothing," said the 52-year-old actor-turned-world traveler. "To really understand the world, you need to get under the skin of the people and places. In other words, learn about geography. I can't imagine a subject more relevant in schools."

The announcement by School Minister Lord Adonis follows the release of a report from the government's education watchdog, the Office for Standards in Education, which said that geography was the worst taught subject in British schools.

Inspectors said high school geography teachers focus too much on drilling facts into students, rather than sparking their interest in other countries and cultures.
    Has anybody read "Himalaya" ?
    Nice endorsement, has me interested in his book now.
    Has anybody seen his travel documentaries ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    From the AP Wire:

Monty Python Actor's Book to Be Required

Has anybody read "Himalaya" ?
    Nice endorsement, has me interested in his book now.
    Has anybody seen his travel documentaries ?
    I saw "Around the World in 80 Days", "Pole to Pole" and "Sahara". Mr. Palin is a man after my own heart and seems to enjoy traveling in much the same way as I do. He intersperses observations about human cultures with humor and likes to focus on the quirky and unusual aspects of the places he visits (and means of travel). I highly recommend any of the travelogues he's made and would be quite interested in reading "Himalaya".
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Just finished Steve Berry's "The Templar Legacy"; another in the Da Vinci Code vein, but a fun, fast read.
    yeah, I'm reading that now. Just picked it up from the library late this week.
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Assasination Vacation - Sarah Vowell
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    New book by my favorite author, Elizabeth Peters: Tomb of the Golden Bird. Got a good start on it out by RJ's pool yesterday.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    The following, in various stages of completion:

Brave New Neighborhoods: Margaret Kohn
    The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon: Richard Zimler
    Labyrinths - Jorge Luis Borges
    Death & Life of Great American Cities - Jane Jacobs
    The Dante Club - Matthew Pearl
    The Devil in Love - Jacques Cazotte

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Brain Haig: Private Sector.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    "The President's Assassin" by Brian Haig is a good intrigue/action read.

Want to read his "Man in the Middle"
    Last edited by JNA; 05 Apr 2006 at 2:56 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Assasination Vacation - Sarah Vowell
    I'm reading this one too! (see earlier post) I'm liking it so far - I'm about half-way through.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I'm not sure where I am...or where I want to be
    I just finished "Never Let me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro--I could not put it down. I hate relaying any of the plot, 'cause it's the gradual unfolding of what's going on, but it's a quietly disturbing examination of medical ethics? I hate spoilers. I think it was shortlisted for the Booker?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I recently began reading "GIS, Spatial Analysis, and Modeling" (um, I think that's the title. Will correct later if I am misremembering it.)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "Oh My Stars" by Lorna Landvik. About a girl in the '30's who loses her arm in an industrial accident and is on her way cross-country to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. Ends up in a bus accident and becomes a manager for a band. Sounds strange, I know, but very entertaining. I pick a lot of stuff off the new release shelf at the library and some are hits, some misses.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Suzan
    Death & Life of Great American Cities - Jane Jacobs
    Eventually I'll put out the cash for that one...

Just finished War of the Worlds and a very dry Open Spaces by August Heckscher

I'm reading a Pearl S. Buck book I picked up for 0.99 @ goodwill and The Geography of Nowhere by Kunstler

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I bought Cussler's "Trojan Odyssey" at Sam's Club yesterday for $5. I hope that's a good deal. It's on my list.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Last night, I started reading "Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" by Lynne Trusse. I know many people have already it, but I just got a hold of it from the public library after being on a waiting list for a while.

+ Reply to thread
Page 22 of 75 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 32 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM