Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 40 of 75 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1874

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    City of Glass by Paul Auster. Very abstract mystery novel - nice urban imagery.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    My book club is reading "The Way Life Should Be" Christina Baker Kline (about Maine obviously)

and I am also reading "the art of war" because I've had it with office crap...and just to keep it real, I also just ordered "the way of zen"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Just finished Bringing Down the House on Monday.....good prep for APA in Vegas.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2001

The Power Broker...

...Robert Moses was a genius and a dick of stupefying proportions...

It goes to prove that planning would be easy if you didn't give a sh*t about the public.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Recently read a story about a teenager girl who has Asperger's Syndrome, spends her first summer away from home in a community close to a national park, and figures out her ways to become connected with few people in the local community. It's called "Wild Orchid" by Beverley Brenna.

The next book that I'm thinking about reading is: "House Thinking: A Room-by-Room Look at How We Live" by Winifred Gallagher.

Has anyone read it?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    "The Looming Tower - al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright.

I plan on finishing it tomorrow by the pool. This book demonstrates the stupidity of our federal government.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Today my kid swiped RJ's copy of "The Onion: Our Dumb World" and took it to h.s. If you are anal about political correctness, don't read this book. BTW, H, they have FSU on the gulf, research is kinda bad on this one.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough. Good bio of Theodore Roosevelt.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    I stopped reading it years ago because I felt like I was losing brain cells and started to feel numb.
    Me too. I used to subscribe. Maybe it's also a sign of being out for twenty years (god, am I really that old?) and that the world is a different place now, but it became a lot less important to me. Maybe that's a bad thing?

Tranplanner, what is your favourite cheapy bookstore in TO?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I've been reading Green from the Ground Up. We hope to build a somewhat "green" house in a few years, so we are beefing up on it all now.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Still working my way through the Fountainhead but I want to finish up as I have many used books on order that are currently being shipped.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Grabbed from the library this past weekend Flow my tears, the policeman said by Philip K. Dick.

I really love his work.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just picked up Nevada Barr's latest - Winter Study
    Anna Pigeon is back on Isle Royale.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2004
    The Lobotomist: A Maverick Medical Genius and His Tragic Quest to Rid the World of Mental Illness by Jack el-Hai

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm reading a 3-book fantasy series I got for my son. He read two of them in a week; that's gotta be a record. It's the Olympians by Rick Riordan; I guess they'd be Young Adult books. The premise is that the Greek gods are still around and operating in today's world. As civilization has moved west, so have they, so that now Mount Olympus is over the Empire State Building, and the the entrance to Hades is in L.A. It's a Harry Potterish thing, a boy discovers he's a demigod and goes on adventures. I'm enjoying it.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith. An historical novel about the early (late 1800's to early 1900's), development of Florida. Three generations from crackers to land tycoons. Makes me shake my head and brings tears to my eyes.

Registered
    May 2005
    Just finished reading Middlesex.

Basically, it's a story about three-generations of a Greek family that immigrated to Detroit in the 1920s. The catch...the narrator and grandaughter is a hermaphrodite. The book does an awesome job of bringing the city of Detroit to life and the story is wrapped around real life events that took place in the city, such as the '67 riots. I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to read a story set in Detroit (if you can get past the whole hermaphrodite thing ).

The author also wrote Virgin Suicides, which was later made into a movie.

nice thread .... NHplanner: the other vegas book i liked was "positvely 5th street" by james mcmanus .... he was a writer covering the world series of poker, then instead covered a local murder and actually made the final table himself ... very interesting book...
    ZG: that is a great series! another good one for the kids (and moms and dads) in a similar vein is "summerland" by michael chabon .... baseball, inventions, and gods ... and more for adults, "american gods" by neil gaiman .... all excellent reads i think

right now, i am reading "stardust" by neil gaiman ... so far, so good...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Just picked up Nevada Barr's latest - Winter Study
    Anna Pigeon is back on Isle Royale.
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    A Land Remembered by Patrick Smith. An historical novel about the early (late 1800's to early 1900's), development of Florida.
    Just finished both of the above.

Next up, Sheila Weller's "Girls Like Us". A biography of Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, and Carole King. I'm thinking their lives in the '60's and '70's must have been pretty darn interesting.

Oh, and tee bone, thanks for the suggestion!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    will finish up I Dreamed of Africa by Kuki Gallmann this weekend.

she lives the life i wish i could have, with the exception of having her son killed by a snake bite and her husband die in a car accident. fascinating stories of life in Africa.

before that i read The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. a good read. another exploration by Tan regarding life & culture of the Chinese-American.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I just finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham (appropriate, since I finished it right before serving jury duty... and now I'm reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's a personal memoir about the author's travels around the world for a year after a messy divorce. I read an excerpt from it about two years ago and never took the time to get the book... I wish I had picked it up sooner!

I'm also slowly browsing Everyday Ethics for Practicing Planners in the hopes of taking the AICP exam in November... Speaking of which, any particular recommended readings to prep for AICP?
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm reading Planet of Slums. The premise of the book is that the cities of the future in the Global South will consist of outer rings of squalor surrounded by an private, gated inner core where the elites live, and we're already seeing this in the present. Fascinating, though dreadful at the same time.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I am currently reading the book Break Through: From the Death of Environmentalism to the Politics of Possibility by Nordhaus and Shellenberger. It has certainly challenged my prevailing views about the environmental movement. I'm particularly intrigued with the author's argument that economic growth rather than limits is the key to creating environmental buy-in.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    I'm reading Planet of Slums. The premise of the book is that the cities of the future in the Global South will consist of outer rings of squalor surrounded by an private, gated inner core where the elites live, and we're already seeing this in the present. Fascinating, though dreadful at the same time.
    I am too! An excerpt of the book was part of my reader for my semester abroad and it was interesting enough that I wanted to read the rest of it. I had the opportunity to visit the Dharavi slum in Mumbai and speak with the developer who is running the redevelopment/slum clearance project, several community activists, academics that have studied Dharavi extensively, and a journalist that has in depth knowledge of and experience in Dharavi. Next up will be Shadow Cities by Robert Neuwirth which also deals with the same issues but in a different vein.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2000

5-4-08

Finished - Confessions of an Economics Hit Man by John Perkins
    Started - Save Your Job, Save Our Country by Ross Perot and Pat Choate
    On the Shelf - Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (Ski's Favorite)
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

+ Reply to thread
Page 40 of 75 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 1:28 AM