Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1967

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm reading the latest J.P. Beaumont novel from author J.A. Jance, Justice Denied. My late uncle, an avid reader and former bookstore owner, introduced me to Jance's work years ago, and I was hooked.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    After many recommendations, I finally am reading Michael Pollan's newest book, In Defense of Food. I have really enjoyed the first section, which describes links between the rise of many diseases (diabetes, obesity, etc.) and the adoption of our "Western" diet based on nutritional science. I look forward to reading his other books at some point.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    finally getting around to reading the Harry Potter series. i avoided it for years just because of the popularity. but i've been looking for some summer reading and this seems to fit the bill. started HP and the Sorcerer's Stone on Tuesday.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I just picked up Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns yesterday. I loved The Kite Runner, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one just as much!
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Although rather pessimistic, The Long Emergency by Kunstler was a thought provoking read. His book, now about 3 years old, is scarily accurate in terms of predicting our current oil spikes, housing depreciation, and credit crunch.

Now onto: The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by amyk View post
    I just picked up Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns yesterday. I loved The Kite Runner, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one just as much!
    my book club read this and I was equally riveted as I was to The Kite Runner - enjoy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

The Time Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

I am being fascinated by the implications of time travel as seen by two people, one who travels and the other who doesn't. Their paths intersect often through time, but not (surprise) chronologically. The traveller even visits himself at an earlier age while he (the younger) is visiting the non-traveller. Imagine the young women meeting two age-versions of the same man at the same time...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am reading Dashiell Hammett, a biography of the writer who invented Sam Spade and Nick and Nora Charles, as well as the Continental Op. He was one of the pioneers of the hard-boiled detective story.

He was a Pinkerton detective. His experiences as a strike buster in Butte, MT, led him to write his first novel - Red Harvest. He had a short and prolific writer, then never really wrote again. He was also the paramour of author and playwright Lillian Hellman.

I am now up to the 1950's, when he was jailed for not cooperating with the House UnAmerican Activities Committee. Hammett was a Communist and refused to cooperate with Ray Cohn and Sen. McCarthy.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Over my honeymoon I had time to read a few books while laying by the pool and waiting in airports: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris and Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Both were great quick reads... perfect when you don't have the time to sit down to a book with 30+ page chapters (incidently, the movie Fight Club seemed to keep it pretty true to the book but now I want to go back and watch it again just to make sure).

Last night I finished reading How to be Good by Nick Hornby (author of About a Boy and High Fidelity) and have to say it was pretty good. It was the first Hornby book I have read but he really gets you into the characters (both the ones you like and the ones you hate).

Now I am waiting for my copy of David Sedaris's When You Are Engulfed in Flames to arrive....
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2008
    Just finished Speed Tribes by Karl Taro Greenfeld, a fast book about Tokyo underculture. I'm reading a short book on the Brazilian Worker's Party then it's on to Gangs in America, an essay collection about...gangs in America.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Back to the non-fiction again, with Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage, by Heather Rogers. Despite the title, it's not one of those "let's see what we can find in the old landfill" books; rather, its focus is on how we've ended up with so much trash and why we handle waste the way we do. I highly recommend it.

From the cover:

Excavating the history of rubbish handling from the 1800s - an era of garbage-grazing urban hogs and dump dwelling rag pickers - to the present, with its high-tech mega-fills operated by multi-billion-dollar garbage corporations, Rogers investigates the roots of today's waste-addicted culture. Gone Tomorrow also explores the politics of recycling, which is popular but has serious limitations and is only a first step toward more fundamental solutions such as reuse and reduction of packaging... [The] book traces the connections between modern industrial production, consumer culture, and our throwaway lifestyle.
    It's really quite fascinating, and interesting to read about the influence of various industry groups. Remember that commercial in the '70s with the stereotypical Native American in his canoe, exploring all the litter around him, ending with a close-up of his face and a single tear as the voiceover concludes, "People start pollution. People can stop it"? It was produced by an non-profit organization that served as a front for the packaging industry!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    went to Book Club last night and now I need to get Leap by Terry Tempest Williams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    This past Thursday I had to fly down to Norfolk, VA for a few days and thought that would be a good time to begin a new book so I read Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk. Great book - but not for the faint of heart!

Now I am trying to finish up the graphic novel Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. This is not the kind of stuff I normally read but I am about halfway through it and it's pretty interesting.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Monamogolo View post
    I am being fascinated by the implications of time travel as seen by two people, one who travels and the other who doesn't. Their paths intersect often through time, but not (surprise) chronologically. The traveller even visits himself at an earlier age while he (the younger) is visiting the non-traveller. Imagine the young women meeting two age-versions of the same man at the same time...
    I read this a couple years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not everyone's cup of tea, I guess, since none of my friends picked it up.

Now I am pretty much reading non-descript southern chick lit; funny, lite, summer reading.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have said this before, to no effect, so I feel I need to reiterate.

I find it hard to believe that every Cyb who reads a book reads only the Oprah Book Club, NYT Non-Fictions Best-Sellers List, Russian or other foreign authors,or whatever APA is endorsing. Cybs seem to need to make a point that they are reading SERIOUS stuff. From being a former bookstore owner.... to being a planner with a bunch of planner friends who read trash.... come on.

Am I the only Cyb who reads Danielle Steele? No. Tim Dorsey? No. Janet Evanovich? No. I just see a real lack of acknowlegment that people read regular fiction anymore. Is it a brand of shame?

Well, I mostly read science fiction and fantasy, with the occasional venture into "chick-lit". Not to mention that I'm so all over the place with reading that I forget to tell other people what books I've got when I've got them! And, being an idiot, I almost instantly forget titles. I hope no-one does that to me...

Regular short story reads include:
    Interzone (bimonthly magazine)
    Murky Depths (quarterly magazine - very dark)
    PostScripts (quarterly volume)
    Strange Horizons (weekly ezine)
    The Hub (weekly ezine)

And for those who are interested (this is the plug bit), I have been published in:
    The Ranfurly Review, Issue 1 (The Girl From Yesterday)
    NeonBeam, Issue 4 (The Ally-Ally-Oh)
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Reading World War Z by Max Brooks (author of The Zombie Survival Guide)

It's pretty cool, esp. if you like science fiction. It's setup as an oral history of the decade long Zombie War. A series of interviews with participants from around the world recording their individual experiences during the War.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I have said this before, to no effect, so I feel I need to reiterate.

I find it hard to believe that every Cyb who reads a book reads only the Oprah Book Club, NYT Non-Fictions Best-Sellers List, Russian or other foreign authors,or whatever APA is endorsing. Cybs seem to need to make a point that they are reading SERIOUS stuff. From being a former bookstore owner.... to being a planner with a bunch of planner friends who read trash.... come on.

Am I the only Cyb who reads Danielle Steele? No. Tim Dorsey? No. Janet Evanovich? No. I just see a real lack of acknowlegment that people read regular fiction anymore. Is it a brand of shame?
    A lot of fiction doesn't interest me. I've tried. Some science fiction is good. Right now, I'm just on an information binge so non-fiction is where I'm at.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I just picked up a timely read... "Just How Stupid Are We? - Facing the truth about the American voter." by Rick Shenkman.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    LOL ZG - I love Maeve Binchy! does that count? and Barbara, what's her name - she writes great coastal stories...

I am amazed too at how many people in here read planning-related books in their free time - I need a break from what I do for sure

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I am amazed too at how many people in here read planning-related books in their free time - I need a break from what I do for sure
    heh. during the interview for my previous position i was asked, "what's the last book you read?" my response was "Since I'm still in school I've been mostly reading planning related works. I'm looking forward to being done with school so I can read something other than planning-related."

i'm still working on the HP series. i'm up to HP & the Goblet of Fire.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am currently reading Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk. This is the third consequtive Palahniuk novel I have read in the last month and I have found his formula for how to tell a story:

Step 1 - open with a horrible person in a horrible situation
    Step 2 - jump back to when said horrible person was just a niave shell of their future self
    Step 3 - describe the transition

Next in line on my desk to be read: Choke, also by Palahniuk; When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris; The Road - Cormac McCarthy; American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Finished - Just How Stupid Are We? by Shenkman
    Starting - The Twilight of American Culture by Berman
    On the Shelf - Fierce and Gentle Warriors by Sholokhov
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by julkins08 View post
    Has anyone read "Bordering on Madness: An American Land Use Tale" by Andrew F. Popper or "Murder & the Comprehensive Plan" by Shel Damsky? Those are on my want-to-read list. ...
    Huh. Who knew such books existed?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Just finished Off the Deep End by W. Hodding Carter. Subtitle: "The probably insane idea that I could swim my way through a midlife crisis - and qualify for the Olympics." Hilarious and fun... I read it in a day and a half. I'm a big fan of the author.

+ Reply to thread
Page 42 of 79 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 52 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 1:28 AM