Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39 48 49 50 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1904

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I'm reading Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness...haven't had much time to read so far, but I've enjoyed what I've gotten through. Easy read with a lot of really practical examples of some of the bad decisions we make...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    'Run Silent Run Deep' - the classic WWII submarine yarn.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'm about to start reading Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben.

In this powerful and provocative manifesto, Bill McKibben offers the biggest challenge in a generation to the prevailing view of our economy. For the first time in human history, he observes, "more" is no longer synonymous with "better"—indeed, for many of us, they have become almost opposites. McKibben puts forward a new way to think about the things we buy, the food we eat, the energy we use, and the money that pays for it all. Our purchases, he says, need not be at odds with the things we truly value.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    I'm about to start reading Deep Economy: The Wealth of Communities and the Durable Future by Bill McKibben.
    Doesn't sound like there would be many pictures in that book. Boooring.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Life, the Universe and Everything - part of my continuing reading to my son from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy anthology.

Also continuing to read Fools Crow, by James Welch
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    The Big Sort, by Bill Bishop.
    Just finished it and I recommend it to planners whereever you have been sorted. I think he concentrates a little too much on the religious side of the "big sort", and it drags a bit. But generally very thoughtful.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anybody picked up /read Colin Ellard's You are Here ?

Book Review from NY Times:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/bo.../Lehrer-t.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I just finished The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Great book, and its being made into a movie for release in the late fall/early winter, so get on it if you want to read it before its made into a movie!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just finished City of Thieves by David Benoit and loved it, wow

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Just finished Basilica - The Splendor and The Scandal: Building St. Peter's by R.A. Scotti. Easy reading historical account of the building of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Reading 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. Just finished 'Fellowship' last night. Yeah, it's the 7th time.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I just finished The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Great book, and its being made into a movie for release in the late fall/early winter, so get on it if you want to read it before its made into a movie!
    Such a good book! I didn't know it was being made into a movie. I wonder how well it will be done considering that the main character/ narrator dies in the first paragraph. Hmmm, should be very interesting...
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner... View post
    Such a good book! I didn't know it was being made into a movie. I wonder how well it will be done considering that the main character/ narrator dies in the first paragraph. Hmmm, should be very interesting...
    I'll bet alot of the movie will be flash backs (like the book), but it will be interesting how they depict heaven and her 'ghost' throughout the story
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Reading 'The Lord of the Rings' trilogy. Just finished 'Fellowship' last night. Yeah, it's the 7th time.
    ONly 7? Well, you're younger than me.

Quote Originally posted by Maister
    'Run Silent Run Deep' - the classic WWII submarine yarn.
    My fave submarine tale is a book, likely out of print, from my "young adult" reading days, called "The Survivor" by Robb White.

Since there is some discussion about book to movie translation, "The Time Traveler's Wife" is about to come out on film. Loved the book. Not thinking it will translate well to film, though.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Picked up the latest Nevada Barr novel, Borderline, at the library a few days ago. Yay!!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Island in the Center of World.... great subject...writing style leave a little to be desired.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just finished The Wettest County in the World. It's historical fiction about a family who ran whiskey back in the 1930's, based on the Bondurant family, written by one of the characters' grandson. Very good.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Potentially interesting book:
    "Bulldozed: 'Kelo,' Eminent Domain and the American Lust for Land." by Carla Main

George Will's coverage: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

Author's own website: http://carlamain.com/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm reading Tom Sawyer. It was not required reading when I was in school (part of the reason I don't want my kids in local public schools). I am really enjoying it, and Mark Twain can really convey the feeling of spring fever and warm summer days to the reader.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    "That Old Cape Magic" by Richard Russo. A very good read and one that hits home for me twice- both as a former Cape Cod resident and as a child of academics. Not much of a planning angle other than in the range of summer homes the main character's parents rent when they go out to Cape Cod every summer from their academic positions in Indiana. But its very tight writing- like one of his earlier 400 page novels concentrated into 250 pages. Not tight as in difficult, but tight as in careful.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    "That Old Cape Magic" by Richard Russo. A very good read and one that hits home for me twice- both as a former Cape Cod resident and as a child of academics. Not much of a planning angle other than in the range of summer homes the main character's parents rent when they go out to Cape Cod every summer from their academic positions in Indiana. But its very tight writing- like one of his earlier 400 page novels concentrated into 250 pages. Not tight as in difficult, but tight as in careful.
    I can't wait to read Russo's newest book!

I just finished the absolutely riveting "Annie's Ghosts: A Journey Into a Family Secret" by journalist Steve Luxenberg. I don't want to give too much away, but the book starts with the author's discovery - after the death of his mother, who told everyone that she was an only child - that his mother had a sister. The story is part memoir, part detective story, and part social history.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    the job listings

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am reading "Farewell, My Lovely," by Raymond Chandler. On page 78 I found this gem:

“It was a blonde. A blonde to make a bishop kick a hole in a stained-glass window.”
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2008
    "Nobody Move", by Denis Johnson.

Johnson's take on a "crime" novel bears his trademark intensity and ferocious imagery.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I just finished The Shock Doctrine - The Rise of Disaster Capitalism by Naomi Klein. I found a lot of it hard to stomach as it challenged some of my basic assuptions, or what I thought was knowledge, of major recent historical events. Its exhaustively researched and footnoted. Its inspired me to further my study of recent economic history and point out the fallacies of Milton Friedman's philosophy. Took me a few months to get through, reading on and off. Definitely not a light read.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

+ Reply to thread
Page 49 of 77 FirstFirst ... 39 48 49 50 59 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM