Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    "Mystic River" by Dennis Lehane. It's a pretty good murder mystery.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    Right now, I'm reading Sleepwalking through History: America in the Reagan Years.

Secrets of the Temple How the Federal Reserve Runs the Country by William Greider

A Republic, Not an Empire by Patrick J. Buchanan

Registered
    Jul 2002
    TIO, you were going to let me know what you thought of Solaris?

Let me say first, I am a scifi dork, I liked it, and even if you don't end up enjoying the book, it's only 200 pages long, so it won't be the biggest waste of time. It gets my reccomendation!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    OOOO nice. Almost picked it up over the weekend, but no time for personal reading in the immediate future. PM me with a review.
    Trojan Odyssey was good, just finished reading it 20 minutes ago. Typical Cussler story.....though the Pitt-Giordino combo is getting old (age wise) and it appears that this book may be the end of the line for them.......

Not as good as my faves (Sahara, Deep Six, Shock Wave), but still everything you'd expect from Cussler.

I'm now on to read White Death.....the latest of Cussler's Kurt Austin books.....
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Last week's vacation and the 4 hour plane trip there and back afforded me a great opportunity to catch up on my reading. I got through Monica Ali's "Brick Lane" (Excellent work), and Anthony Swofford's "Jarhead" (Curious to find out if any former marines (Jeff, hello Jeff?) have heard of/read this book. Just finished off the latest "Granta" on the way into work today. Looks like I'll be hitting the bookshops at lunch again now...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've never read a historic novel before in my life (which is strange considering I'm a real history buff), but after having seen the movie "Master & Commander: Far Side of the World" I decided I liked it enough to read Patrick Obrian's 'Aubrey/Maturin' series. I think there's 17 books in all and I'm on the fifth book "the Fortunes of War". I'm curious what any other historically-oriented folks might have thought of the series.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Just finishing up one of my ebay finds - a signed copy of Phillip Jose Farmer's "Mother was a Lovely Beast".

It is an anthology and commentary about feral children in mythology/literature. Pretty interesting read everything from Romulus and Remus to some wacked out sci-fi. This is a topic Farmer explores frequently in his writing.(lord tyger, Unknown Feast, Mother)

Anxiously awaiting for my favourite book of all timeto arrive, Daniel Pinkwater's Alan Mendelsohn the Boy From Mars . I love ebay for finding books.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    just finished 'Perelandra' by C.S. Lewis

reading: 'The Chicago Bungalow' - about the creation and development of the Chicago variation on the bungalow house theme
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just finished Nevada Barr's High Country set in Yosemite National Park.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Recently finished Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe (hated it).

Now reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (loving it).

Just bought Glory by Vladimir Nabakov.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Just bought Glory by Vladimir Nabakov.
    Good book... but then all Nabokov books are excellent in my opinion (probably my favorite novelist). Thanks for giving the low-down on Mrs. Dalloway... after reading The Hours (excellent book), my interest was piqued by Mrs. Dalloway.

On Saturday I went to a book sale at the YMCA and picked up a ton of stuff. I sat down and read Catcher in the Rye for the first time on Saturday. It only took five hours cover to cover, and it was an excellent book... I can't believe that I waited so long to read it!

Quote Originally posted by donk
    I love ebay for finding books.
    Off-topic:
    Have you ever tried ebay's half.com? I actually like it better... it is supposedly only for the US, but if you contact some of the sellers they will often ship to Canada. Really good deals and a standardized system for rating book conditions.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:55 AM.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Off-topic:
    Have you ever tried ebay's half.com? I actually like it better... it is supposedly only for the US, but if you contact some of the sellers they will often ship to Canada. Really good deals and a standardized system for rating book conditions.
    Thanks for the advice. Most of the books have actually come in much better shape then I expected. For the most part I am looking for reading copies with some collectibility, not full on collector's copies. When I sell the house I will be buying a signed Heinlein though. (ouch$$$$)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2003
    On Fields of Fury - From the Wilderness to the Crater An Eyewitness History by Richard Wheeler

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I am now reading Flicker, a Theodore Roschak (sp) novel positing that an evil Gnostic cult has been secretly inserting subliminal messages into movies since the dawn of Hollywood inculcating their message that the physical world is inherently corrupt and evil. I'm not a big movie buff, but its still a really cool idea. (Gnosticism is also pretty interesting and answers some theological questions I've always had)

Also: American Eden, a survey of recent West Coast landscape architecture. There's a brief discussion of one of my favorite semi-public spaces ever, Levi's (may they rot in sweatshop hell) Plaza in San Francisco.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Just finished a New Yorker article on Aryan Nation gangs in the federal prison system... its incredibly interesting and a bit terrifying. While I've never been in a situation where I've been looking at potential jail time, reading this article has sealed the deal: I will never do anything wrong again.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Just Finished
    Gold: Isaac Asimov

Just started :
    The Little Drummer Girl: John Le Carre.

Parallely keep reading some comic strips:
    Right Now:
    Tintin : The Shooting Star
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    May 1997
    The American Heart Association's BLS CPR textbook (fun, huh), Jim Halfpenny's The Yellowstone Wolves. Just finished Still Life With Crows by Preston and Child: a good thriller if you're looking for entertainment.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Lieutenant Hornblower by CS Forester

The Middle East at Your Fingertips: A Dictionary of the Middle East
    by Dilip Hiro

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Just finished Nevada Barr's High Country set in Yosemite National Park.
    I'm picking it up at the library tomorrow. Hope it's a good one!

Just finished John Grisham's The Last Juror. Liked it a lot. It's not a lawyer story.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    "Experience Design", "Don't make me think", and, er, other fascinating stuff like that about design work and webpage design and generally really GEEKY topics of that sort.

Registered
    Feb 2000

3-15-04

Finished this past weekend:

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
    The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Began this past weekend:

Glory - Vladimir Nabakov

Waiting in the wings:

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    The House of the Dead - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    Better Together - Robert Putnam (non-fiction)

Registered
    Jul 2002

books

Great Expectations, C. Dickens
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM