Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 60 of 75 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1855

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Reading The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Been looking to scratch it off my list for a while.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    On my KIndle, "The Rope", the latest Anna Pigeon novel by Nevada Barr.

JNA, got your copy?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    On my KIndle, "The Rope", the latest Anna Pigeon novel by Nevada Barr.

JNA, got your copy?
    Let me know how it is. My dad's got it on order and we are goning to swap books when he finishes it. I've been disappointed with Nevada's last two Anna Pigeon books and the character seems to have run it's course.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Let me know how it is. My dad's got it on order and we are goning to swap books when he finishes it. I've been disappointed with Nevada's last two Anna Pigeon books and the character seems to have run it's course.
    I liked it. It goes back to Anna's first park job shortly after her first husband died, so it's partly an explanation of why she stayed with the park service. As with any similar long series (I'm also thinking about Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt), you look back over the series and think, nobody could possibly get into that many crazy situations and survive them all!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I liked it. It goes back to Anna's first park job shortly after her first husband died, so it's partly an explanation of why she stayed with the park service. As with any similar long series (I'm also thinking about Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt), you look back over the series and think, nobody could possibly get into that many crazy situations and survive them all!
    Yeah, the series jumped the shark during Winter Study. When she fell into the that freezing water, was under the ice and managed to survive with a case of hypothermia, which she recoved enough from to save the day. You are right about Dirk Pitt. Good thing that the newer books have allowed him to age.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I've been reading a lot lately. I just finished Susan Orlean's book Rin Tin Tin, which was excellent. I knew very little about Rinty except the name, but I had seen good reviews of the book and it sounded interesting. Before that, I read a wonderful novel called A Dog's Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron.

It wasn't my intention to read books about dogs - it was completely coincidental that I found these two books at the library on the same day. I'm looking forward to reading the newest Nevada Barr book as soon as it's available.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I've been reading a lot lately. I just finished Susan Orlean's book Rin Tin Tin, which was excellent. I knew very little about Rinty except the name, but I had seen good reviews of the book and it sounded interesting.
    Good to hear, I've been thinking about getting that one for RJ and me.

UPS delivered the new Tim Dorsey, "Pineapple Grenade", this evening. First 10 pages, at least 3 laugh out loud moments. I have to pace it so I don't read it all in a day or two.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Good to hear, I've been thinking about getting that one for RJ and me.

UPS delivered the new Tim Dorsey, "Pineapple Grenade", this evening. First 10 pages, at least 3 laugh out loud moments. I have to pace it so I don't read it all in a day or two.
    Well,as usual, I couldn't put it down, and finished it yesterday. Tim Dorsey is certifiable; wish he would show up in the panhandle for a book signing. He keeps promising (I'm not a stalker, I just ASK...)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "Onward We Charge: the Heroic story of Darby's Rangers in WW2". I'm about half way through it. A fluid read so far, not at all dry. Fans of military history should love it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    "Giant" by Edna Ferber. It reads like poetry. BTW, the 1950s movie was good, too. The flick included Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Elizabeth Taylor. The novel won a Pulitzer. Thinking that reading all the Pulitzer winners might be a good challenge.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    "Giant" by Edna Ferber. It reads like poetry. BTW, the 1950s movie was good, too. The flick included Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Elizabeth Taylor. The novel won a Pulitzer. Thinking that reading all the Pulitzer winners might be a good challenge.

Bear
    Never read "Giant" but watched the movie recently. Bored out of my mind! Just overly dramatic for my taste. I don't know if I can bring myself to try to read the book. I'm finishing Michener's "The Source" and have picked up two Mark Twain classics for my next read(s). "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", which I've read before and "Life on the Mississippi" which I haven't read.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Denis Johnson's "Train Dreams". A "novella", at 128 pages. Johnson is known for spare prose and very colorful imagery. He did not let me down with this one.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Just finished "The Red Pyramid" and "The Throne of Fire" by Rick Riordan. Yeah, they're YA books, but the kid and I read his Percy Jackson series and enjoyed it. These were good, too. I've already ordered the 3rd book which will be out in a few months.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Never read "Giant" but watched the movie recently. Bored out of my mind! Just overly dramatic for my taste. I don't know if I can bring myself to try to read the book. I'm finishing Michener's "The Source" and have picked up two Mark Twain classics for my next read(s). "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court", which I've read before and "Life on the Mississippi" which I haven't read.
    I hope you enjoy "Life on the Mississippi." It is my favorite Twain book. I did not care so much for "The Connecticut Yankee . . ." Now "Puddin'head Wilson." That one I love.

Also "Roughing It." For laugh-out-loud funny, the short story "Buck Fanshaw's Funeral."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I just finished The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (baseball and Melville mixed together!)

Now I'm starting The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (Derrida and punk rock!)
    I picked up The Marriage Plot at the library the other day and it's slow going; and I normally read really fast. I don't know if I like it yet. If I'll finish or just stop, and I'm only on page 77. I guess all the literary crap makes me think of the pretentious English majors back in the day.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I picked up The Marriage Plot at the library the other day and it's slow going; and I normally read really fast. I don't know if I like it yet. If I'll finish or just stop, and I'm only on page 77. I guess all the literary crap makes me think of the pretentious English majors back in the day.
    There was still too much pretentious literary crap but I did finish the book. Talk about depressing.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    William Trevor's "Love and Summer", 2009. Novel set in 1940's Ireland. Prose is spare, lyric. I recommend it highly.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I finally got around to reading Chad Harbach's "The Art of Fielding". So far, so good. It's partly about baseball, but also about many other things, so I don't know I'll recommend it to baseball fan RJ.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Just finished Andrew Krivak's "The Sojourn", 2011, under 200 pages, about "the forgotten front" of WWI, Italy/Austria.

Told from Austrian side. Think "Farewell to Arms" from other side. First novel, National Book Award nominee. Good writer.

Registered
    May 2002
    "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters" by Donald Prothero. I keep it on my desk and read some at lunch-ish time most days.
    Back home just in time for hockey season!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am reading Philosopher at Large: An Intellectual Autobiography, Mortimer J. Adler's first autobiography. His claim to fame, though his accomplishments were many and varied, was his ability to explain philosophy in ways everyone could understand.

If you haven't read his book Six Great Ideas: Truth-Goodness-Beauty-Liberty-Equality-Justice , maybe you should. Great stuff.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "The Revenge of the Radioactive Lady" by Elizabeth Stuckey-French. An odd book, about an old woman plotting revenge against a dementia-plagued research doc who subjected her to radioactive experiments in the '50's which she feels resulted in the cancer death of her daughter. It's a novel. Takes place in Tallahassee, in my home state.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Triumph of the City - Edward Glaeser. It may be preaching to the choir for most planners, but its a good book that dispells several myths about cities and urban living.

Exit Ghost - Phillip Roth. Older man moves back to NYC and falls in love with younger woman. I found it to be a very annoying novel that seemed pre-occupied with dropping literary credentials.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    "The Templars: The History and the Myth: From Solomon's Temple to the Freemasons" by Michael Haag
    If you happen to be a medieval history buff, by all means check it out. Otherwise, Janet Evanovich probably makes for a better read on the beach.

Just picked up "The Introspective Engineer". This promises to be a far more enlightening, thought-provoking, and entertaining read than 'Templars'
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "The Geographer's Library" by Jon Fasman. So far, it's like a slow-paced Da Vinci Code. The title hooked me in. But I'm liking it.

+ Reply to thread
Page 60 of 75 FirstFirst ... 50 59 60 61 70 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 1:28 AM