Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1843

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Just finished Hoover Dam: An American Adventure by Joseph Stevens. An engineering history of the project, very similar in style to the classic The Great Bridge by David McCullough. It was worth reading, interesting and apparently comprehensive as a general history, but I just felt there wasn't a lot of meat to it. Nothing wrong, but didn't leave much of an impression. 2 out of 5 on my tough nonfiction scale.

Finished audiobooks of Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy. I don't know what McCarthy has against Mexico, but damn. All of these were slightly more conventional than Blood Meridian, so less of the pretentious BS that would be stupid if it was from anybody but McCarthy. But they didn't have the huge highs of that novel (which gets a rare 5/5 on my tough fiction scale).
    All the Pretty Horses gets 3.5 out of 5, very good. Avoid the movie, it's a sad comparison.
    The Crossing gets 3 out of 5, good and some amazing moments rivaling Blood Meridian, but too long.
    Cities of the Plain gets 3.5 out of 5, a very good melding of the characters that you come to care about. Initally the ensemble cast kind of turned me off compared to his usual solitary protagonists, but it grew on me. I really like seeing stories with people who are very competent, and enjoy working together without drama or BS. This is one reason why I like the movie 300 despite its over the top nature elsewhere.

Highly recommended pulp spy/adventure book: Dead Six by Larry Correia and Mike Kupari. Engrossing military adventure told from viewpoints on either side of some espionage/terrorist schemes.
    Larry Correia is emerging an an excellent new novelist on the sci-fi/fantasy side. His Monster Hunter series are great pulp fantasy stories (what if monsters were real, and bouties put on them to keep them supressed and out of public view), and Hard Magic is an excellent alt-history where magic is real and plays a role in world history starting about 1900. All of these rate about a 4/5 from me.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    "The Widower's Tale" by Julia Glass. Enjoyable novel of a family, and their conflicts, in the Boston area. I will be looking for the author's other novels. Luckily, our local library has all of them.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I finally got my copy of Night Circus from the library. I still have to read the conclusion, but so far I'd rate it one of the best novels I've read in years. Fantastically colorful and illustrative. Erin Morgenstern can set a scene.

Registered
    May 2005
    Started the Hunger Games this week. Almost done. Its really not bad and a real page turner!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    As seems to happen a lot, I am reading several books at once. My son's bedtime story is The Fellowship of the Rings.

I am reading Until I Find You, by John Irving. And last night, when I couldn't sleep and I was too damn lazy to go upstairs and get my book, I started reading The Shipping News. So much for my goal this year to read some books that would make be feel better.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    As seems to happen a lot, I am reading several books at once. My son's bedtime story is The Fellowship of the Rings.
    Interesting. The trilogy is next on my schedule of books to read. I make it a point to re-read them every couple years or so.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'm currently reading APA Policy guides, APA magazines, the Green book, on-line resoures, and stacks of note cards.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    I'm currently reading APA Policy guides, APA magazines, the Green book, on-line resoures, and stacks of note cards.
    Sad....

I'm reading Richard Louv's The Nature Principle. I believe it was recommended in this thread. Excellent so far.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I'm reading Richard Louv's The Nature Principle. I believe it was recommended in this thread. Excellent so far.
    Yeah, I thought it was good too but it does start to get repetitive after a while. I'm reading Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. Don't know how I managed to never read this back in my environmental activist days in the 60's & 70's.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2002
    1688 A Global History - John Wills

The Russian Debutant's Handbook - Gary Shteyngart

I usually don't read two books at once but they're very different.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Joshilyn Jackson's "A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty". I'm a big fan of southern fiction, and I've enjoyed her books in the past. RJ got me this one for my birthday. So far, a 45-y.old grandma thinks her family's cursed every 15 years because she had a daughter at 15, her daughter had a daughter at 15, and now that daughter is 15 and something entirely unexpected has happened.

Next up: Rick Riordan's "The Serpent's Shadow". It's the 3rd in the Kane Chronicles series by the author of the Percy Jackson Olympus series. Another b-day gift.

I am reading Elaine Pagel's Revelations: visions, Prophecy, and Politics in the Book of Revelations.

She is quite the biblical scholar and writes in a form understandable and entertains for those who are not all that familiar with these topics.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Today I picked up "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter" at the bookstore. Any Cyb reviews? I recently read a couple books in a series about Jane Austen being alive and a vampire, and it referenced Abe and some other historical figures as having been vampire hunters, but they weren't by the same author. Coincidence?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Van Reid's "Cordelia Underwood, or the Marvelous Beginnings of the Moosepath League", a quirky novel, rather amusing, set in1896 Maine. I will have to look for the sequels. Very enjoyable. Came out in '99, wonder how I missed it.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I am reading Bad Dog (A Love Story). I couldn't pass up a book with that title.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am reading the aptly named book, "The Company Town" by Hardy Green. An interesting book talking about the development of cities by a corporation. It covers the often thought of communities like Hersey and Gary, IN as well as many of the coal, textile and mining communities that srung up as well. Its a quick and easy read so far.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    May 2002
    Kevin Smith's "Bull ***t" I saw him Friday night and got the book the same day.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Donated $25 to Joseph Campbell Foundation and received download of five hours of lectures on Eastern mythology, including lectures on Hinduism, Buddhism, Indian mystical traditions, art. They are broken into segments of a few minutes each but are sequential.

If you like Joe Campbell his lectures are easier than reading his work, but you have to hear them over and over to assimilate. As a result I have picked up Oriental Mythology (of the four volume Masks of God) again.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Just picked up Straphanger from the library. Probably telling me more of what I already know.

http://www.amazon.com/Straphanger-Sa.../dp/0805091734

Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I am just starting to read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. Just finished Born to Run by Christopher McDougal. Vyer interesting read - even for a non-runner.

On my ecclectic list:

The Last Chicken in America by Ellen Litman.
    Shaghai Girls
    Secret Daughter
    Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich.

Looks I found some good ones to add here.
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    May 2005
    I'm reading Fireproof right now. My wife borrowed it from someone 6 months or so ago, so I decided to read it. Before I started reading it, I asked my wife if I thought it would be corny. She said yes.

Now I am not a religious man by any means, but I do find the central tenet of the book to be a very valuable lesson for relationships. That being that you love someone because you make the decision to love them, not becaue of a feeling it gives it, or because you expect anything back.

I don't think that all marriages can be saved by the theme of this book. But I do think it is a humbling idea.

Over the weekend, I finished Theodore Rex, the 2nd in a trilogy by Edmund Morris about the life of Teddy Roosevelt. It doesn't matter what you think of him politically, and how his progressive ideas were contrary to the conservatism of the time, he was/is simply one of the most fascinating Presidents we will ever have.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Over the weekend, I finished Theodore Rex, the 2nd in a trilogy by Edmund Morris about the life of Teddy Roosevelt. It doesn't matter what you think of him politically, and how his progressive ideas were contrary to the conservatism of the time, he was/is simply one of the most fascinating Presidents we will ever have.
    I'm reading "The Murder of the Century" by Paul Collins, about a NYC murder in 1897 that involved adultery, abortion, Pulitzer and Hearst, dismemberment...and Teddy Roosevelt's reforms as police commissioner.

I guess it was a huge case back in the day, but I've never heard of it, and probably most people in this day and age haven't, either.

I'm half-way through Moonraker by Ian Fleming. I've picked up an interest recently in the Bond books.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Just finished "Iberia" by James Michener. About to start "Sin Killer" by Larry McMurtry. It's the first of four volumes of the Berrybender Narratives and I got them all in hard cover at Half Price Books for $1 each. I don't expect them to be as good as the Lonesome Dove series but at that price...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Just finished "Iberia" by James Michener. About to start "Sin Killer" by Larry McMurtry. It's the first of four volumes of the Berrybender Narratives and I got them all in hard cover at Half Price Books for $1 each. I don't expect them to be as good as the Lonesome Dove series but at that price...
    I love McMurtry's fiction. His prose flows. Haven't read the Berrybender series yet, though I have eyed them in the library. I am reading "The Evening Star," the sequel to "Terms of Endearment."

One of his greatest gifts as a writer is making major characters who are not so likable, but are admirable. You don't care for them perhaps but you want to know more about them. Captain Call is one. Aurora Greenway is another.

I still haven't completely forgiven him for killing off Gus, Jake Spoon and Deets. We all want to know a Gus McCrea. We all know a Jake Spoon ("a leaky vessel to put too much hope into") And we all would be better knowing a man like Deets.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 51 60 61 62 71 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM