Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Recently finished RED VICTORY (A HISTORY OF THE RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR), by W. Bruce Lincoln.

Awesome read for those interested in the commie pinkos, their fight with the remnants of the Czar's army, and how the world dealt with a "new" Russia that thought itself champion of a new world revolution.

What is amazing are the very horrible things that people did to each other, in the name of ideologies that were each as disgusting as the other.

Comrade Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    "My Life", Bill Clinton (remember him?).
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I'm halfway through the 911 commission's official report... hands down the most fascinating thing the federal government has ever read. Impossible to read the first chapter without feeling emotionally exhausted.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    "Miracle at Sing Sing" most facinating book about the warden of Sing Sing from 1920-1941.... Lewis Lawes. He wrote books, screen plays, broadway shows.... was a proponent of reform and spoke adamantly against racism, Anti-Semitism and Nazi germany. Was remarkable how he used popular media to the hilt to get his views out. He was also against capital punishment...yet still oversaw over 300 electricutions...

To paraphrase a reviewer (Mario Cuomo) ......if it were written as fiction it would be dismissed as unbelievable and farfetched.

I was so interested in this fellow that I just purchased a book on Ebay Lewis Lawes wrote in the 30's.... "20,000 Years at Sing Sing"..... so that will be my next book!
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just finished "City on Fire" by Bill Minutaglio.
    It is about the Texas City, TX ammonium nitrate explosions in 1947.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Am part way through 'Brave New World' but finding it a little hard going. Have 'Burning Chrome' by William Gibson waiting in the wings.
    Burning chrome was a hard read for me and probbaly the last Gibson book I'll ever read, he's had his 2 chance with me and both did nothing for me. Guess I'm not a cyberpunk

Just finished "what is welsh for zen? - the autobiography of john cale" Picked it up relatively cheaply a few weeks ago.

In the queue is Ken Kesey's "sailor song".
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    Burning chrome was a hard read for me and probbaly the last Gibson book I'll ever read, he's had his 2 chance with me and both did nothing for me. Guess I'm not a cyberpunk
    I have read and really enjoyed Neuromancer, Idoru and Virtual Light. Have heard Burning Chrome is a bit different from the others.

SkeL recommended another cyberpunk novel that has become one of my favourite books: Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson.

no pshrinks please

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, The Gor series by John Norman, The entire Dune series by Frank Herbert and son[also have the movies], alternate history series The Great War by Harry Turtledove, almost anything by Isaac Asimov. See why I said no pshrinks? I'm a freak.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sue Grafton: "R is for Ricochet", a Kinsey Millhone mystery

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    Am part way through 'Brave New World' but finding it a little hard going. Have 'Burning Chrome' by William Gibson waiting in the wings.
    Yeah. despite the ideas (which are spot on), he is not that good of a WRITER, IMO Its sitting in my bookcase for a while now-I need to finish it.

Is Burning Chrome the newest Gibson? I really, really like his last novel about the label-phobic "coolfinder"!

Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, The Gor series by John Norman, The entire Dune series by Frank Herbert and son[also have the movies], alternate history series The Great War by Harry Turtledove, almost anything by Isaac Asimov. See why I said no pshrinks? I'm a freak.

Ah. Don't feel that way. If you look up and down these threads, there's a lot of science fiction and fantasy (see my Dark Tower post). Remember, michaelskis and El Guapo aside, planner=nerd

On another note, I got so pissed off at the Gene Wolf collection mentioned above (the second volume in the collection) that I, for the first time ever, threw a book in the TRASH. Book of the Long Sun turned out to be pretty lousy and BORING. Endless pontificating about a weird cyber-religion and no real plot. Awful, awful dialogue in the second volume.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:55 AM.

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm between books right now. I just finished Farewell to Arms, before that, I read The Sun Also Rises. I'm on a big Hemmingway trip right now. I think I'll go to a used bookstore and see if I can find more of his stuff.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I read a lot of e-mail.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Quote Originally posted by vaughan
    I'm halfway through the 911 commission's official report... hands down the most fascinating thing the federal government has ever read. Impossible to read the first chapter without feeling emotionally exhausted.
    I'm doing the same and feeling the same. bummer alert!.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Sue Grafton: "R is for Ricochet", a Kinsey Millhone mystery

Gosh, Sue is already up to R! What is she going to do once she passes Z? Will she go onto AA, BB, etc. or onto numbers, from 1 to the nth number?

In the last little while, my selection of readings has been rather limited. They're curriculum guidelines, profiles (how to do lessons for a unit), specific and dry rules at the high school, a Grade 9 Academic Geography textbook, and the usual set of readings for classes.

Maybe I'll digress this coming weekend as it's Thanksgiving up here in Canada!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I just picked up the new Clive Cussler "Black Wind" a Dirk Pitt Novel.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2004
    A People's History of the United States.

The more I read this book, the more I am angered because I was taught the wrong history.

I highly recommend it!!! In addition, if anyone would like to discuss it, game on.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Having more time to read finally (AICP exam is OVER), I can get on with my to-read list:

The Apothocary Rose - set in medievil York. It's the first one for me in the Owen Archer series, and at 1/2 way through, I'm definately going to read more.
    "The Belgariad" series from David (and Leigh) Eddings for the umpteenth time. I love this series!
    I have a couple of issues of Archeology magazine waiting.

I'm waiting for Lauren Haney's next Lt. Bak book - set in ancient Eqypt under Pharaoh Hapshetsut. I also have Christian Jacq on my amazon list - his Ramses series was awesome, even if I disagreed on several key points.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Skimmng through Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead for the third time. Funny, it's just as painful this time as it was in high school (1984) and the first go round in college (1985) as it is in my current attempt at higher education. Will they EVER make the Cliff's Notes to this book?! Don't even get me started on Atlas Shrugged...ugh.

Registered
    Jul 2002

books

Finished the 911 Commission Report and just started "And a voive to sing with" (I think that's the correct wording). It's a circa 1988 memoir of Joan Baez.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2002
    At the present time I am not reading anything other than the newspaper and the occasional planning mag. I'm taking December off to eat sweets and go to christmas parties

Come the new year I will be reading the same thing as TNOS.... The Green Bible
    Quote Originally posted by the north omaha star
    The Green Bible. It's AICP exam time.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I just finished "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. I scrolled this thread quickly, but I didn't see any other mention of it. I thought it was great.

I'm about to read the academic-y "From Chicago to L.A. - Making Sense of Urban Theory" by Michael Dear.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just started Continental Drift by Russel Banks.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Is Burning Chrome the newest Gibson? I really, really like his last novel about the label-phobic "coolfinder"!
    Sorry didn't see your question back when you posted it. The answer is no - Burning Chrome is a collection of some of his early short stories. I still haven't read it! I believe Pattern Recognition is his latest.

Currently I'm reading a NZ book called Swim, about a young widow who discovers she has breast cancer, and she finds swimming a comfort when she wants to forget anything. Quite an emotional read!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Now reading "In the Hot Zone" an Australian journalist's impressions of several southeastern Asian cities. So far, Malaysia/Kuala Lumpur, which actually sounds rather nice.

Quote Originally posted by Man With a Plan
    A People's History of the United States.

The more I read this book, the more I am angered because I was taught the wrong history.

I highly recommend it!!! In addition, if anyone would like to discuss it, game on.
    Is this the right history, though? Of course, it has its own biases. Every event is victimization of the poor oppressed working class by the evil, monolithic corporate rulers. Its been a long while, so maybe I need to read it again???
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:56 AM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 7 of 77 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM