Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76
Results 1,876 to 1,895 of 1895

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Checked out How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World by Steven Johnson this weekend. So far very interesting and has little facts/stories about famous inventions.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2009
    For something different, I'm reading Starship Troopers. Remember the bad movie about marines killing bugs. Forget that. The book is mostly about the importance of doing your civic duty and why a hard volunteer military service (or other service) should be a basis for citizenship and voting. There just happens to be a bug war going on at the same time.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I am getting the impression some of you think I read junk; well, I do but I read a lot of good stuff, too. Being unemployed, which I'd rather not be, and having only so many opportunities to clean the white tile floors, I have to do something...

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I am getting the impression some of you think I read junk; well, I do but I read a lot of good stuff, too. Being unemployed, which I'd rather not be, and having only so many opportunities to clean the white tile floors, I have to do something...
    Read the junk, hell I'm reading about space marines killing space roaches. If that's not junk I don't know what is.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Read the junk, hell I'm reading about space marines killing space roaches. If that's not junk I don't know what is.
    I am reading Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant . So, a combination of junk and "good stuff". A win-win.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Yeah, that's kinda hard to beat.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    You have a fantastic life. I'm trying to read more this year and watch TV less. Accordingly, my kids gave me a copy of "As I Lay Dying" for Christmas. Started it the other night. Typical Faulkner, and I love it so far.
    Good for you. I have some kind of phobia about reading "classic literature". I would rather die. Must have to do with required classes way back when.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Okay, done with the Starship Troopers book, it's more about the philosophy of civic duty than killing bugs, but not bad. I've picked up A Brave New World, mostly because it was on the list of books to read, but also because Ursus mentioned reading it sometime.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Anne Rivers Siddons "The Girls of August"; chick lit, but I love chick lit, and she's a favorite author.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Just finished "Trust No One" by Jayne Ann Krentz. Pretty good, just not one of her best.

About to start "Murder In Thrall" by Anne Cleeland.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I am reading Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant . So, a combination of junk and "good stuff". A win-win.
    Interesting, I'm doing something quite similar as I'm currently reading The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly.

This morning I started the chapter about determinism and the illusion of free will.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I was reading this classic Star Wars tale as told by Shakespeare from the online library, but something happened and I can't bring it up on the ipad anymore. I'll have to try checking it out again after I read my Assassin's Apprentice book (more trash).
    http://media.firebox.com/pdfs/Star-Wars_excerpt.pdf
    Enjoy the excerpt though.

Kathy Reichs-Bones Never Lie. After that, Bernard Cornwell's- The Empty Throne. After that, C.J. Box's -Endangered.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I'm reading Whispering Smith, by Frank H. Spearman.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm rereading God's Debris by Scott Adams. It's not a Dilbert book, just a thought experiment.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Heart of Palm, by a FL author I've never read before, Laurie Lee Smith.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    King Solomon's Mines, by H.Rider Haggard. An oldie but a goodie.

~ Otterpop ~

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Kathy Reichs-Bones Never Lie. After that, Bernard Cornwell's- The Empty Throne. After that, C.J. Box's -Endangered.
    I finally finished Bones Never Lie. It may be the last Kathy Reichs book I read. I'm reading The Empty Throne which is proving to be a good read so far.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ellen Meister, Dorothy Parker Drank Here. Hilarious.

+ Reply to thread
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 66 75 76

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM