Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79
Results 1,951 to 1,968 of 1968

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Naughty in Nice, by Rhys Bowen. British mystery set before WWII.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2008
    A Constellation of Vital Phenomena

Anthony Marra

Prizewinning first novel about the two wars in Chechnya in the '90's.

Registered
    May 2015
    Summer read: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'd seen the movie a long time ago, bought the book, and left it on my shelf. Picked it up the other day out of boredom and now I can't put it down. Good mystery thriller that's easy to pick up and put back down. It'll keep you busy too - 650 pages.

Registered
    Aug 2008

Ubik

Philip K. Dick's 1969 novel about 1992. One character lives in an apartment where the entrance door, the refrigerator, the bathroom fixtures all have coin slots that must be fed coins in order for them to work.

Quote Originally posted by SoutheastMCRP View post
    Summer read: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'd seen the movie a long time ago, bought the book, and left it on my shelf. Picked it up the other day out of boredom and now I can't put it down. Good mystery thriller that's easy to pick up and put back down. It'll keep you busy too - 650 pages.
    The first two in the series are pretty good. I lost interest midway through the third book.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Oh, Florida! How America's Weirdest State Influences the Rest of the Country by Craig Pittman. Pick this up. Hilarious.

I love the state that adopted me.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2016
    I seem to be on a Geography/Planning bender, despite intentions to read fiction over the summer. Just finished Janice Perlman's Favela and Arlie Hochschild's Strangers in their Own Land. Got back to Susan Feinstein's The Just City and started The Road Taken, by Henry Petroski (history/future of US road infrastructure.) Also finished two of Ann Cleeves' Shetland mystery novels, which were a nice break.

Next: either finally read The Rise of the Creative Class (Richard Florida) cover to cover, or finally read The Condition of the Working Class in England (Friedrich Engels) cover to cover.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Just finished "The Last Days of Night" by Graham Moore, a semi-fictional historical novel about the AC/DC wars. I thought it was a solid B+ book, not great but interesting and made me read some of the historical background.

Now starting "Eyes on the Street: The Life of Jane Jacobs" by Robert Kanigel. Generally like reading about the Moses/Jacobs wars and find myself on the Jacobs side but not unequivocally. Will be interesting to see what is new in this book.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Erik Larson, Dead Wake about the Lusitania; could not put it down. Fabulous book.
    Ah, thanks. I was perusing the thread for ideas on what to read. Forgot about Larson.

I've been on a Nelson DeMille kick lately.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Seeing as i'm looking for jobs I decided to pick up Monster Careers: Interviewing by Monster guy Jeff Taylor. Looks like it might have some good tips and questions to ask.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Almost finished with Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen. Great book.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2014
    Just finished Rouge Lawyer by John Grisham. Amazing how I can just fly through those 200 pages but cant spend more than 20min on my 5 page readings for class...
    Without geography you're nowhere - Jimmy Buffett

Registered
    Aug 2008

The First Bad Man

Miranda July novel is very surprising, very funny, and not as smarty-pants as Nell Zink.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just started last night - Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War That Changed American History. Only a few pages into it but it already looks very promising
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Just started last night - Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: The Forgotten War That Changed American History. Only a few pages into it but it already looks very promising
    Related to that, I am reading -
    The Shores of Tripoli by James L. Haley
    and also very promising.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

An American Patrick O’Brian
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-ameri...ian-1481924374

the intended series to follow promises to do for the American Navy and the Marines what C.S. Forester and Patrick O’Brian did for the Royal Navy. It is that good.

Registered
    Aug 2008

Man in the High Castle

After throwing up my hands at the amazon TV series on the story of the same name, I resorted to the novel.

Novel is far and away better, even after only three chapters. PKD is so far ahead of whoever wrote the TV script. I know it is hard to tell a story like this with film, but the tv falls way short in this case. The tv show cannot come close to the hilarious irony that PKD injects.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm in the middle of Clownfish Blues by Tim Dorsey.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread
Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 69 78 79

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 4:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 1:28 AM