Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 74 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What are we reading right now? (Planning related or not)

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Currently, I'm just starting to read an article on "Locations, Clusters, Compnay Strategy" by Michael E Porter.

...Clusters and knowledge: Local buzz, global pipelines, and the process of knowledge creation by Harald Bathelt, Anders Malmberg, and Peter Maskell.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 25 Jul 2005 at 10:52 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Im reading Org theory's favorite canadienne guru Gareth Morgan's Images of Organization. That and an edited version of OT classics by Weber, Taylor, Barnard etc, all are considered landmark and progressive ideas for their time, but jeez o pete b-o-r-i-n-g!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    "As I Lay Dying"

or did you mean planning related stuff??? well Im about halfway through Jackson's "Crabgrass Frontier" which I have to read for a class...lets just say Ive read better

Registered
    Sep 2001
    None are planning related

Vonnegut's - Time Quake - a weird synopsis of a ten year period in which he questions free will and tells stories of his family
    Wil Eisner - Fagin the Jew - a really neat graphic novel, telling the story of oliver twist from fagin's point of view.
    Cerebus - Issues 292-294 - the last 10 issues in this indie comic.

A few other comic books
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by FueledByRamen
    "As I Lay Dying"

or did you mean planning related stuff??? well Im about halfway through Jackson's "Crabgrass Frontier" which I have to read for a class...lets just say Ive read better
    OMG! Are you insane? Faulkner? Nobody reads Faulkner unless forced to at gunpoint, and then some will still not read his work.

I am now half through "Crazy Horse and Custer," by Stephen Ambrose.

I am reading "Into The Wild" by Jon Krakauer. I loved his "Into Thin Air" book about climbing Everest, so I finally got around to getting this.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    OMG! Are you insane? Faulkner? Nobody reads Faulkner unless forced to at gunpoint, and then some will still not read his work.
    I've read this book three times now. It's short, but it takes me a long time because you have to piece together the story. I actually had to keep running notes (who saw what when) as I read it the first time for university. Awesome book!

And I love Faulkner... speak for yourself Cardinal!

Originally posted by Repo Man
    I am reading "Into The Wild" by Jon Krakauer. I loved his "Into Thin Air" book about climbing Everest, so I finally got around to getting this.
    I read them in the other order... "into the wild" first, and then "into thin air". I really enjoyed both of the books (I would like to read into the wild again...) I'd be interested to see what you think of it.

Registered
    Oct 2003

Index this index that

Planning- I am trying to get through Richard Florida's Creative Class... blah blah (another thread.) He was here and spoke to about 1000 folks in downtown Phoenix last week. We defininitely need some more creative planning in PHX. I like some of his ideas, just not sure about his classes and indexes.

Home- Re-reading Clive Cussler Vixen-03.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Originally posted by Cardinal
    English 338 Dr James Cox. Yes, I have to read it

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Harpers Magazine (October 2003)

Sustainable Architecture: High Tech Housing.

More a photo book-I love fancy, neo-modernist architecture. A lot of nice examples from Europe and Japan.

An Ian Rankin novel-police procedural set in Edinborough, Scotland. Very gloomy-somewhat slow reading, but still one of my favorite writers.

Next Up:

Stephen King-The Dark Tower series (awesome-I think King is actually not that bad a writer)

The newest James Lee Burke Cajun detective series. THIS guy transcends the limitations of the genre. Absolutely awesome writer.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    An older book: "Men to Match My Mountains" by Irving Stone.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    "Age and Guile Beats Youth, Innocence and a Bad Haircut." by P.J. O'Rourke. He is one of the few humor writers who is actually laugh-out-loud funny.

Recently read a planning book called "Common Place" that was very good. It was about a charette experience planning Seattle. So many planning-related books are dry as dust and poorly written, so I really have to work to slog through them. This book was interesting and well-written. I read quickly and got a lot from it.

Since I've got a two year old son, I've also read "Winnie the Pooh and the Blackberry Surprise" about a dozen times.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I wish I could respond better to this thread--3 kids under 6 at home so I do my best.

I just finished Tom Clancy's Teeth of the Tiger (or something like that) by far IMO his worst. Clancy seems to have mailed it in.

Started yesterday Brokaw's Greatest Generation (I know I am a little late to the party on this one)

I also have have that HG Bissinger's Book about Texas High School Football on my nightstand.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Still slogging through Niall Ferguson's "Empire" - interesting, but not subway reading material. I'm also a little disappointed in the narrative - it's not so much a history as a series of anecdotes trying to create parallels between the British Empire of the 18th and 19th Century and the current American "Empire".

Also reading "Action This Day" , which is a history of British codebreaking efforts during WWII. I guess if I had a background in pure mathematics I'd be able to make a little more sense of it...

The above book has caused me to dig out Robert Harris's "Enigma" for a re-read. Also want to find the movie.

Registered
    May 2003
    I found a "James Bond Omnibus" in the new acquisitions section of the public library. It contains Ian Fleming's first three James Bond novels: From Russia with Love, Doctor No, and Goldfinger. It's refreshing to read the novels so many years after having seen the movies. I enjoy the 1950's settings and the references to the world situation at the time. The written James Bond is much more interesting, with more depth and more humanity, as opposed to the movie characterizations. But he's still one bad-ass dude.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My trash novel of the moment is the latest installment in the Kinsey Milhone mysteries: Q is for Quarry. She's sassy!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    - The November 2003 issue of "Planning."

- Stephen King > Carrie
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000

10/28/03

Just starting, "The Tin Drum" by Gunter Grass.

Just finished, "The Mill on the Floss" by George Elliot

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Clive Cussler - White Death

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm doing some research on the experience of privatization/withrawal of subsidies on intercity rail passenger travel in Argentina. Reading in Spanish can give you a headache at times (-: but it is fascinating stuff.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I just spent 2 days reading a 2-inch thick notebook about OMB Circulars A-102 and A-110.

Tonight it's back to trash, Janet Evanovich's "Full Speed".

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Finally got a copy of Wekerle & Whitzman's (1995) Safe Cities: Guidelines for Planning, Design and Management so I'm checking that out.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I just spent 2 days reading a 2-inch thick notebook about OMB Circulars A-102 and A-110.
    Trying to cure that insomnia, huh?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Trying to cure that insomnia, huh?
    Sent by boss to a grants class. Next two days: Cost Principles. No problem with insomnia this week! I'm a night owl, but I was so tuckered out last night I was asleep at 9.

Registered
    Oct 2003

More neverending list of school reading

Currently dreading myself through this book for an environmental course (Making of the North American environment). Tonight it's "Forcing the Spring: The Transformation of the American Environmental Movement." by Robert Gottlieb.

I'd much rather find out abot Far from Home and read it and learn more about Cairo, IL or even that other book that looks at Cairo and Kent as two doomed American towns. Guess another time...c'est la vie! (that's French for That's life)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 74 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2005, 3:26 PM
  2. Replies: 178
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 12:28 AM