Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hawk Your Crap at Work

Registered
    Aug 2001

Hawk Your Crap at Work

How many of you get these kinds of e-mails at work? I get many a week. This is an example of one that just came my way:

"My oldest son, Boner, is selling cheesecakes so that he can take a history class trip to Gettysburg. He has to pay for the whole thing because his mom is so cruel!

He has sold $619 worth with no assistance from me. Of that, $150 goes toward his trip. I figure I could at least try to sell some for him at work.

I hear they are good . . . many different kinds. Something like 14 precut slices to a cake. Cost is $16 and $19, depending on what you get. They freeze well and will be here before Thanksgiving.

His order forms are due today. I will be putting one in the break room. If you are interested, please look it over. I must deliver the form and money to the school late this afternoon.

Its an easy way to tell provide dessert for Thanksgiving or Christmas and not have to do any work!"

I don't mind an entrepreneurial spirit, but sometimes I think that my fellow employees over-use their companies information network. An e-mail like the one above every once in awhile is okay. But these types of last minute pleas suck big time.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I donít know. Seems like a no pressure take one if you want one flyer. Parents have to at least make the effort to clear the conscience. At our office though it is just left in the break room with out the email.

Is the email work related? No. But either is probably half the email sent. :-S
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    You're not allowed to use company email for that stuff here. Over the past week I've had people canvassing for 50/50 draw tickets for their best friend's son's hockey team (nay), girl guide cookies for their daughter (aye), and a hockey pool for their son's hockey team (aye).

When I have kids, it's payback time!

I prefer the e-mails that say "Its my birthday today, so there are bagels and donuts in the break room!"

I guess I don't mind those too much. I don't get a lot here...the occasional Girl Scout Cookies or Candy Bars for little league. I don't like the ones like Wanigas listed, where they give this whole sob story and try to sell them to you like they are a telemarketer. Just tell us whats being sold, what its for, and how much it costs.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 1998
    We don't get those kinds of soliciations here, but people will occasionally leave a box of that school candy with the envelope in the kitchen. I don't mind supporting them, but I certainly don't want to hear a sob story unless they want to hear mine.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    I love the candy solicitations. Just put the box out, and let me have at it. I just want to know why you have to be in some sort of freaking CLUBE to get some of those damned mint grils scout cookies! GRRRRRRR!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    I love the candy solicitations. Just put the box out, and let me have at it. I just want to know why you have to be in some sort of freaking CLUBE to get some of those damned mint grils scout cookies! GRRRRRRR!
    I feel your pain man. My cousin just quit the girl scouts, so I can't get the cookies anymore. Lack of shortbread is making me restless and irritable.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Speaking of: Anybody need some Boy Scout popcorn? Just name your price between $12 and $1200 and I'll ship you what I think you need (or deserve).

It would be better for everyone if my son could just go door to door and beg for $5.00 in cash. I hate fundraisers.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I usually take a pass on fundraisers, except for the Girl Scouts. Nobody here sends out e-mails like that. I don't suppose it would bother me, I'd just delete it with the other fifty junk e-mails I have waiting for me every morning.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: Hawk Your Crap at Work

Originally posted by Wanigas?
    "My oldest son, Boner, is selling cheesecakes so that he can take a history class trip to Gettysburg. He has to pay for the whole thing because his mom is so cruel!
    Boner from "Growing Pains"? No way.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I hate the work emails selling stuff, too. Of course, I sent one out last year when I was selling my house. I don't mind people trying to sell something, just those who are asking for a fundraiser "donation".

Registered
    Oct 2003

Re: Re: Hawk Your Crap at Work

Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Boner from "Growing Pains"? No way.
    Yo, Seaver!!

We actually had to have a policy about this because someone felt pressured! I mean I told them to stick it, but some folks can't I guess. It can only be left in the breakroom with a note. No solicitation in person or via email.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I don't receive those types of e-mails, but it seems like raffle ticket solicitation always occurs in this office. Damn!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I find it very easy to turn down email requests for stuff like school fundraisers, but I did cough up $14 for my admin's kid's school fundraiser (wrapping paper). I tell you, the stuff they sell now is way better than the stuff we sold for drama club when I was in high school. Not to mention, Oregon's schools are completely broke, so I felt for the kids.

I am a fan of the I'm-moving-and-my-planter-box-needs-a-good-home emails though. When I moved to OR, I got rid of a juice maker, a TV/entertainement center and the afore mentioned planter box in the 15 minutes following the email. I also bought a car from someone at my dad's work who did the same thing.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They locked down the e-mails here due to too many soliciations like those. So now they waste even more company time by going cube to cube and selling their kids' stuff. I don't usually buy in to any of them, except for the 50/50 draws and pools (kind of like Tranplanner). They switched over to a bulletin board (kind of like vbulletin) on our intranet now so people can post merchandise for sale/trade. Usually it's last minute ticket sales to Oilers games...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love the ones that try to sell pre-season football, hockey, etc tix for face value.

Just give the damn things away and MAYBE someone will take them.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm not sure about policy here, being relatively new, but it seems the common practice here is to leave the stuff in a visible place with an envelope. All I like are the chocolate almonds and the girl scout cookies. I swear, those things must be laced with crack.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We forbid them. Sign up sheets left in the mail room are okay, just no active solicitations.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    My biggest peeve are the "parties". Um, it's not a party if the point is to sell crap. I get invites for jewelry parties, candle parties, basket parties. Very annoying, especially when the email is broadcast to all women in the department.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by nerudite
    They locked down the e-mails here due to too many soliciations like those. So now they waste even more company time by going cube to cube and selling their kids' stuff.
    LOL. I love unintended consequences like this when people try to tight-n-up in the name of 'efficiency' and take away from the few social pleasures that some workers have.

Score one for the slackers.

Not that I promote peddling crap for your kid.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'd much rather get an email than have them come into my office asking if I'd buy something. I can just ignore the email - I find it hard to say NO face to face. I'm such a sucker. Of course, leaving it in the break room is the best option.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by plannerkat
    My biggest peeve are the "parties". Um, it's not a party if the point is to sell crap. I get invites for jewelry parties, candle parties, basket parties. Very annoying, especially when the email is broadcast to all women in the department.
    I've heard thru the grapevine that some of these 'parties' are for the sale of toys....of the adult variety...

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Originally posted by RichmondJake
    I've heard thru the grapevine that some of these 'parties' are for the sale of toys....of the adult variety...
    See I told you that you were my kind of person! You just got to it one step before me.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by plannerkat
    Ugh! I know what you mean... I'm invited to one next week (not going). I looked at the catalogue and it was all florally girly valences and heart-shaped sconces and crap. Bleh.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Well, those kind of parties aren't the ones that you usually get invited to over the work e-mail system. But yeah, they are becoming more common.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 29 Dec 2010, 6:16 PM
  2. Black Hawk, CO bans bikes
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 4:01 PM
  3. Work selling crap on Ebay!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2