Urban planning community

Poll results: What to do with bad neighbors?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sue them for all they got

1 4.35%
  • Keep telling the Town and let the Town take action

12 52.17%
  • Rally the neighbors and burn their houses down

9 39.13%
  • Build a great wall around a 1/2 acre lot,, for a lotta $$$

1 4.35%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dogs gone wild

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

Dogs gone wild

I need some advice. About a month ago... our neighbors dogs from about 1/2 mile down the road (1/2 acre lots) wandered down (3 of them from 2 different people) came onto our property, chased down one of our cats and killed it.. we saw it and were too late. I love dogs,, have a very spoiled large hound dog,,,, but this was just irresponsible.

Now, we notified the Police because we wanted it to be on the record. We told the people that we were not going to take action...but were going to notify the police of the incedent. Well, the Town we live in is taking action against these people... and now our neighbors are a bit testy to us. And, they continue to let their dog run. So what should we do??
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

I love dogs as well. You have to be a hard ass on these people, they obviously take no responsibility towards controlling their dogs. That is all these people have to do, control their dogs! It's not asking a lot.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Get some doggie treats and one part stricknine, one part arsenic.... oh thats for.........I would have shot thems dogs right on the spot (Not sorry PETA). I have a cat and if something like that happened there'd be hell to pay. Either that or get some bear traps and set them in the yard. Ha ahahahhahaahah
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 1999
    No leeway on this one! Keep complaining to the local gov' mint. Get the dog rounded up. It will not stop with your cat.

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Can't imagine.

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Get some doggie treats and one part stricknine, one part arsenic.... oh thats for.........I would have shot thems dogs right on the spot (Not sorry PETA).
    A better way is to "accidently" leave some antifreeze out, you know, like you were working on your car... Dogs just can't get enough of that stuff.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    We sometimes have had to chase off "neighborhood" dogs at my parent's house. It's still a ruralish area, but growing, and some of the neighbors let their dogs roam at will. Not knowing who's dogs they are or how far from home they are, we just chase them away. If the dogs are aggressive enough to be running down and killing pets (basically a first step toward feral-ness), then they are a potential threat to people and farm animals (if any in the area) not too far down the road. If you or someone else is threatened (growled at, chased, bitten), birdshot to the butt is fully justified around my way. Before that happens, of course, finding out who the owners are and talking to them about is best. You handled it right so far.

Ignorance

I love people who let there pet Pit Bull, German Sheppard, and Doberman run wild. Why not just let your kids play with a handgun! Ignorance must be a disease.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Sorry to hear about your cat.

Get a donkey, he'll take care of the dogs. Until my parents got allistair, they had a real neighbourhood dog problem, the first dog to visit the sheep after allistair arrived got a very rude awakening. He has even killed a fox. He just barely puts up with their dog, but knows he has to as she is family.
    Last edited by donk; 03 Nov 2003 at 8:28 AM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    Until my parents got allistair, they had a real neighbourhood dog problem, the first dog to visit the sheep after allistair arrived got a very rude awakening. He has even killed a fox. He just barely puts up with their dog, but knows he has too as she is family.
    What is this Allistair you speak of? I think I've heard of one before, but I'm not sure. Sounds like one bad-ass dog.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Allister is a donky
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Allister is a donky
    Donkey? I'm really confused now.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Donkey? I'm really confused now.
    See the picture in my image gallery.

I was being facetious. (1/2 acre lot is no place for a donkey)
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    strict zoning... I don't have enough land for a donkey... but would love one.

Hunting with guns is illegal in Westchester County... but it would be legal in NY for me to shoot a dog if it were actually attacking another animal or person.

.....we are considering getting another dog... like a pure doberman. .. although our current doberman mix (1/2 beagle) intimidates those dogs. I think the youngest of the attack-pack, an australian shepard, is starting to think she can challenge our 10 year old dog. She used to cower away from him... but a few weeks ago she started snapping back at Jordan.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    See the picture in my image gallery.

I was being facetious. (1/2 acre lot is no place for a donkey)
    Wow that Donkey takes no Guff!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah, hand guns are kinda cool. I think teachers let the kiddies bring them to schools these days. Fun!

Registered
    Sep 2001

Re: Ignorance

Originally posted by salomondesignboarder
    IIgnorance must be a disease.
    It is a pandemic in my parts.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of my neighbors have dogs. We are in a rural area and they let them roam freely, however, there are only two times in the past three years that I recall a dog wandering off its property. The German Shepherd across the street came to introduce itself when I first moved in, and a black lab once went on a walkabout. The other black labs never leave the yard. These are not problem dogs, and letting them roam without a chain is no problem. On the other hand, my nephew-dog is one that I'd keep on a chain inside a fenced yard.

It all goes to a dog's personality. If it is well-behaved, you can give it a lot of freedom. If it is going to terrorize the neighborhood, it needs to be restrained. Owners of dogs are liable for their pets' actions. (Remember all of the pit-bull owners who have gone to jail after their dog mauled or killed somebody?) Your neighbors need to act responsibly and keep their dogs under control.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would not necessarily include German shepherds in your list of dangerous dogs. While some are now trained as as guard or attack dogs, they were originally bred for herding. Ones without the guard dog lineage can be very sweet family dogs. In the proper setting, as on the farms surrounding me, I have no objection to letting good dogs run freely.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I just rememebered a funny phrase I heard as a kid from a neighbour about dogs

"1 dog is a good dog, 2 dogs is half a dog and 3 dogs is no dog at all. "

After rereading your description of the incident it seems like the pack mentality of the poor beasts over took their owners flawed judgement of how cute and cuddly theiur dogs are.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Our neighbors have dogs who roam free in our rural area. We are on lakefront lots with lots of woods and farms surrounding so dogs roaming free is the norm around here. And the dogs are not so friendly. Barking and growling at me and my kids at the bus stop, a little talk with the neighbors helped and repeated suggestions in our lake association newsletter about the townships leash laws also helped. It would peeve me when the neighbors would say "oh he's a friendly dog won't hurt anyone" Yeah what does bared teeth and a growl mean?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Yeah, hand guns are kinda cool. I think teachers let the kiddies bring them to schools these days. Fun!
    Guns are fun, maybe its time to resurrect the do you own guns thread.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This is a pet peeve of mine - pun intended. Just last year I got nipped by some woman's precious pooch because she did not take responsibilty for her mutt. I was attacked by some teenager's dog because the Shepherd was not on a leash, in violation of city ordinance. My personal opinion is a loose dog should be treated like a weapon. If your dog bites someone or mauls a kid or someone's cat or dog, etc, then you should do some heavy jail time.

As far as what should be done about these roaming dogs- you might adopt the attitude of Montana ranchers in relation to grizzlies -- "Shoot, Shovel and Shut up."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off-topic:
    From the title of this thread I was expecting some exotic photshop of a top flashing its teats at a camera on the streets of New Orleans.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Yep. another dog lover here, but it seems that these owners don't really realize what is happening. They weren't listening to you the first time, maybe afer a few police visits they'll start to listen. Too bad relations won't be as good anylonger though.
    You're more boring than you know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    No sympathy for the loose dog owner here. I chewed the neighbors down the street a new one recently after they repeatedly let their 2 large dogs run loose on our street at the same time kids were getting dropped off at the neighboring elementary school. Um, small children and large dogs off leash are not a good combinations. Besides that, they were shitting in my yard and I was reluctant to take my own dog outside since I was unsure of their disposition. When I saw them out again I promptly reported it to animal control. The dogs are leashed since they got the warning citiation. I say keep calling, especially since the beast has shown aggressive behavior and the neighbors are clearly idiots.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hot dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 3:52 PM
  2. HOT DOGS...Get your hot dogs here!!!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 11:03 AM
  3. Dogs