Urban planning community

Poll results: What is your office dress code?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • A nice suit and nothing less ever.

1 3.03%
  • Dressy but with allowances and casual Fridays.

15 45.45%
  • Pants and a nice shirt. Maybe a tie on occasion.

14 42.42%
  • Jeans and sneakers mostly.

2 6.06%
  • Carharts and cowboy boots. All wrangler all the time.

0 0%
  • Thongs and bikini waxes.

1 3.03%
Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tie or no Tie?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Tie or no Tie?

We have so many fun polls going on I thought I'd add one more. Dress codes? My goal in grad school was to rise as far in my career as I could while still being able to wear jeans to work. Sadly those days have passed. I sold out to the man!

Clothing varies according to geography, mission and local attitudes. I have noticed that in the heydays of the dotcom boom IT guys could wear anything short of a toga because they were in great demand. Now days those slackers better have some pants on. Also in more rural areas the code seems to be less than in the cities. Your observations please.

Ladies substitute panty hose for neck ties to make the poll unisex.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hmmm...nobody's ever showed me a copy of the dress code, and judging by the people in the office I'm not sure there is one...

Working for a large city, there are a lot of very well dressed movers-and-shakers around...

Most planners tend to be either dressy or business casual. I wear a tie if I have a meeting, otherwise it's dresspants and a shirt. Friday is khaki day - I never wear jeans in the office.

Registered
    Oct 2001

I once went to an interview...

...on a Friday which was their casual day. These people looked so good. They had $100.00 socks on. I never looked that good in my entire life including my wedding day. I just had to throw the interview and get out quick. Cloths intimidate me. We need Garanamals for adults.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Around my office it is quite varied. Mostly nice shirts/slacks with a tie&sport coat or suit for meeting with aclient or public meeting. We have casual Fridays. Much of the government agencies are more and more casual year by year. Also, in summer people dress down much more. This makes sense when its 90F and 95% humidity.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have not had a tie on in the office since my interview. We wear jeans and a nice shirt on Fridays. The wife has been after me to wear a tie once and a while, so I may do it just for the shock value. The Mayor has me on a planning committee that had a retreat last Saturday all day. The facilitators said "casual". Everyone there dressed like I do everyday at work. I was sporting jeans and my new Cyburbia Cafe T-shirt.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    My first week or two on the job, I wore a tie every day. Finally, somebody took me aside and pointed out that nobody but bankers and lawyers wears ties here. Even then, the lawyers only wear a tie when they go to court.

I haven't worn a tie since. Two and a half years and counting!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Excellent poll!

We usually wear ties if we are in power meetings, but the polo shirt or nice collared euro-trash shirt is usually not frowned upon Monday-Thursday. I have worn a suit once in three years, and a sport coat only on occassion when I slop my lunch on my shirt.

The only real rule for casula Fridays is no sweat pants (although I was scolded for wearing an earing on casual Friday - SEXISM!!).

BTW - In order to take advantage of casual day, you must make a $2.00 food donation to the local Food Pantry.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    My fiancee really likes it when I wear I tie, so I try to keep her happy.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Ties? Bah. I was "required" to wear one when I first started working here, but after a few weeks I started "forgetting." My memory regarding our unwritten dress code got worse and worse, and now I haven't worn a tie in at least a few months -- even to commission meetings. I mean, c'mon ... I've got building inspections I have to do, and shooting driveway grades in a dark long sleeve shirt with a choking tie in Florida's summer heat really wasn't practical. For me, it's Friday business casual, every day.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    No formal dress code, but I wear a tie 4 out of 5 days every week. Casual Fridays I wear a golf shirt and jeans.

Bullwinkle wrote:
    I haven't worn a tie since. Two and a half years and counting!
    Did you wear ties in Plymouth, Lin...I mean..."Bullwinkle?" Or is your "freedom" only since you left the Granite State?
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Business casual for most everyone, except our director who wears suits and a bow tie every day. I had to go buy lots of new clothes for this job, since my last one, in consulting, was jeans and tivas EVERY DAY! It rocked. Well, no tivas from Oct - Mar, until the snow clears out. I really hate pantyhose. And i feel like my grandma in knee highs.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I get to wear the developers home uniform:

golf shirt, khakis, loafers...unless at a public hearing when i wear the away jersey, dark suit and tie.

I do hate ties.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Last job--tie every day. Now--ties on meeting days. Suit or sports jacket on most casual Fridays. (contrariness was not on the right/left political poll). My wife likes ties. They are really handy when you forget tissues or drop your napkin.

Registered
    Aug 1997

Better than boss?

Am I the only one who dresses better than his boss? Now, my boss wears a suit and tie for evening meetings, but other than than, no tie.

I wear a tie everyday except casual Fridays, or when I know I've got to do manual labor.

Dan, I understand your concerns, having to do inspections and field work, but I have to do it in the dress code. Wish I could just do inspections on Friday.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    NHPlanner wrote:
    Did you wear ties in Plymouth, Lin...I mean..."Bullwinkle?" Or is your "freedom" only since you left the Granite State?
    I have noticed a difference in the informal office dress code since I moved to Idaho from New Hampshire. In NH, I wore a tie everyday and even a suit or sport coat on occasion. I worked in a college town, so we had our fair share of 'tweedy' academics and crunchy granolas. We did get a steady trickle of out-of-town developers wearing nice suits and tasseled loafers.

Out here, it's more jeans and boots. 'Friday dress casual' for the rest of the world is dressed up for most City employees. When I was the acting City Manager (six months of pure, unadulterated hell, thank you very much) I had to actually tell the Finance Director to be sure and clean the horse manure off his boots before he came in the office. He is no longer with us, so that's not a problem anymore.

Our biggest dress code issue isn't employees, however. Our former mayor, who is still on the Council, invariably wears shorts and sandals all summer. Including at Council meetings! Nobody has had the nerve to tell him to put some pants on. This is a pretty laid-back resort town, so most folks don't care that much, I guess. It bugs me, though.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We had a public presentation / hearing about the adoption of a new plan in a rural area. The crowd was pretty hostile. One member of the public got up, gestured to the employees of various departments and said, " You know what the problem here is, too many ties." The crowd applauded.
    Since then I have avoided wearing ties and try not to wear any clothing that distinguishes me from the typical person I deal with.

Another reason for not wearing a tie, they are convenient hand holds when things turn ugly.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I think there is something to be said for the old saying "never dress better than your audience."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I worked for a private sector company the dress code was a suit, every day. If you made the mistake of wearing a sport coat someone would pull you aside. There were even comments when one guy wore a pink dress shirt.

Since moving to the Dairy State it has been far more casual. The village president in the first village I worked for wore sandals, even in winter. My predecessor here wore a tie every day but Friday. I began on that road, but now doubt if I wear a tie more than once every other week. Then it is usually because I have to meet with somebody who would probably expect it.

Most of the people I meet with are dressed casual and they expect the same of me - and I work in economic development.

Registered
    Mar 2002

jeans?

Well my last office was pretty casual, you dressed for your day, if you had a meeting with some big shot you dressed nice, if you were in the field, dirty jeans and duck shoes. most the time slacks or nice jeans and polo type shirts, fridays was "school colors day" everyone wore their college sweat shirts. Lol i even snuck in my sorority letters once in a while for effect.

kept the stress down

now where i work its dressy every day, dont dream of showing up with out a tie, and if you think of jeans you get sent right back home no matter what. Field work is in nice stuff. it SUCKS!

Note where i work now is a MUCH smaller city than where i was.

Danie
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001

One other rule

Dont wear clothing that shows your tattoos. I mess that one up ever once in a while. Hmmm I see a new poll coming on here....

Registered
    Mar 2002
    no tats here but i kept trying to snake my rottwiler to work

figured she would be fun for the days i had some meeting with an atty with his tie on a bit too tight.

lol

oh im feeling randy today
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Danie,

I'd say about 90% of cyburbanites have at least one dog, so you're fitting right in. i always think about how damn cool it would be if you could bring your dog to work. Dan, does Bailey come in with you?

Registered
    Mar 2002

doggies

Well when i was in GSO i had 3 hounds and kept pushing for a "bring your dog to work day" no dice.
    But i did get us a dog park!

D

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    [slight hijack]

KMateja wrote:
    Dan, does Bailey come in with you?
    Unfortunately, no. Town Hall is "dog friendly," and I keep biscuits here for folks who stop by with their pooches.

However, Bailey has a strange way of greeting strangers on what she considers to be her turf. She'll run up to someone and bark in what seems like an aggressive manner, but then stop in a play bow, after which she'll continue to let out the occasional "woof." I tell folks to jump in the air; when they do, Bailey jumps a few feet back, runs a bit, jumps forward, and offers another little "woof." It's her play ritual. Most non-dog folks don't understand that, though; it seems as if Bailey is on the attack.

Bailey's ritual with strangers on "home turf," and the fact that two other town employees are afraid of dogs, means she usually stays home. She goes to doggie day care during workdays when I have night meetings, though.

[/slight hijack]
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I bring my mutt to work on occaision. We have a dress code for mutts as you will see (grin).

Closed thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast