Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Do you like Skyscraper City?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skyscraper City rocks!!

2 7.69%
  • It's good enough

2 7.69%
  • It's not Cyburbia!

14 53.85%
  • Trash

8 30.77%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or is Skyscraper City blah?

Is it me or is Skyscraper City blah?

I like all the pics and I'm still trying to get into the site.
    Discuss

Registered
    Jan 2003

It's Blah

I like to look at skyscrapers, but not talk about them.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    What is this SSC you speak of?

Seems like all the geeks over here come from there.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I find the pics interesting, but most of the discussions are pretty juvenile. Anything serious quickly degenerates. I'm so glad that never happens here

I find the pics interesting, but most of the discussions are pretty juvenile. Anything serious quickly degenerates. I'm so glad that never happens here
    Just because conversations reduce to lesbianism doesn't mean they're degenerate. It's a natural pattern.
    But seriously the conversation goes from bad to worse, lots of flaming.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    From the few vists of that site, all I can say is: It's just not Cyburbia... mabye a Cyburbia bastard son... and they're right when they say that conversations quickly degenerate (not in the Cyburbia Style™) and turn into my skyscraper is better than yours flame wars. Juvenile to say the least.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Boring. Boring boring. Are there anyother sites to visit. Honestly, I found Cyburbia first and haven't really left...
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    May 2003
    The place is basically full of trolls, but there's a lot more discussion about urbanity there than here, which I like. Usually a thread takes a good five or ten posts to go to hell, so the first page of comments tend to be pretty good. And if you're in the mood, the trolls can be fun too.

The "skybar" is pathetic though.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I got to say that its garbage. This place is much better. Sure they got pretty pics, but we've got rugged pics of dutch dykes and ms. afgan.
    I checked out some of the forums and one was about being an only child? Where's the tacos and dykes?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    urbanphoto's discussion board is relatively slow as to number of posts, but its very "intellectual." Tends to the liberal/radical side (one fundamentalist catholic was hooted off pretty quickly when he complained about a gay bar in his neighborhood)-so be warned.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I have never been there.....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I voted trash, although, I don't really think it's really trash. It's just very dull. I spent my lunch hour looking through there and all I can say is "boring." Many of the subjects that get discussed in SCC seem interesting, and I wouldn't mind bringing up a few of them here, but once you start reading the responses they quickly degenerate into nothing but trolls, flames and boosterism. It was very tiresome after a short while.

I did notice a few post by our Great Leader and a couple of other Cyburbanites over there. Dan, are you cheating on us or was it only a short meaningless fling?

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by BKM
    urbanphoto's discussion board is relatively slow as to number of posts, but its very "intellectual." Tends to the liberal/radical side (one fundamentalist catholic was hooted off pretty quickly when he complained about a gay bar in his neighborhood)-so be warned.
    Yeah, urbanphoto seems like it'd be exactly what I'm looking for in terms of urban discussion, except that it's way too slow. Too bad. Can there really be that few urbanists on the internet?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Well, jordanb. Maybe there should be a serious/positive invasion of the board to bring it back to life

Not that I could speak for the mods or anything.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by biscuit
    I did notice a few post by our Great Leader and a couple of other Cyburbanites over there. Dan, are you cheating on us or was it only a short meaningless fling?
    I've been there a few times....mostly looking for Gallery abusers....those that use up a lot of space here in the gallery and hotlink their images to SSC. That issue has been taken care of for the most park....and I took no enjoyment in deleting over 1000 pictures a couple of weeks ago.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Y'all are right about the discusssions being juvenile. I took a look at the todays birthday list on SSC and noticed that the average age seemed to around 15. Fifteen year old computer geeks who take themselves way to seriously are not really the types one seeks out to carry on a decent conversation with.

Case in point. One thread I looked at was trying to compile a list of the 10 CITIES with the largest Gross National Products in the world - Think about that one for a minute. Anyway, the entire thread is nothing but flaming and not one of the posters even seemed to know what GNP actually is to begin with.

I'd rather be doing my work...

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I've been there a few times....mostly looking for Gallery abusers....those that use up a lot of space here in the gallery and hotlink their images to SSC. That issue has been taken care of for the most park....and I took no enjoyment in deleting over 1000 pictures a couple of weeks ago.
    Why not just ban referrals from SSC?

Registered
    May 2003
    Originally posted by biscuit
    Case in point. One thread I looked at was trying to compile a list of the 10 CITIES with the largest Gross National Products in the world - Think about that one for a minute. Anyway, the entire thread is nothing but flaming and not one of the posters even seemed to know what GNP actually is to begin with.
    They must have been thinking of city-states.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by jordanb
    'cause we don't have a problem with people cross-posting images. We only have a problem when they start leeching bandwidth.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by jordanb
    There are some from SSC that do not abuse, and post threads here. Plus, that would be Dan's call, not mine or any of the mods.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2003
    SSC is an inferior rip off of SkyscraperPage, which is the same basic idea, but far less annoying. It is possible to have a good discussion there without it degenerating in to "Toronto is better than Chicago" (although that does happen from time to time). Actually, the folks who run UrbanPhoto also got their start as SkyscraperPage, and still post there frequently (it's much busier).

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I don't want to see this discussion as the official Cyburbia point-of-view regarding SkyscraperCity, SkyscraperPage, UrbanPhoto or SkyscraperAmerica, so I'll chime in.

The skyscraper sites are not Cyburbia rip-offs. They started off as what I call "armchair architecture and urbanist" sites, and eventually became VERY popular. The architecture aspect has a very broad appeal, IMHO because the aesthetic appeal of a skyscraper is more easily ascertained by the masses than the complicated dynamics of urbanized areas and the built environment in general.

An urbanism-related discussion on one of the skyscraper sites compared to one on Cyburbia will be as similar as New York and Los Angeles. Let's take a discussion about ... oh, Atlanta. The discussion on a skyscraper site will likely focus on the "ooh aah!" aspect of the built environment, like skylines (both downtown and Buckhead), edge cities, MARTA, Hartsfield International Airport, shopping malls, and so on. On Cyburbia, we'll be more likely to talk about traffic congestion, sprawl, Georgia's reputation as the nation's most billboard-cluttered state, the challenges of being a planner in a pro-growth "anything goes" environment, TOD related to MARTA stations, gentrification in the MLK District, and the like.

I'll post my Buffalo photo threads to SkyscraperPage as well as here, because there are far more current and former Buffalonians active over there than here; I enjoy the feedback. Same thing with Buffalo-related threads in the Northeast US subforum. All my posts have the Cyburbia URL in the signature, so those interested can have a look here.

There are actually a few planners at SSP and SSC, including a former co-worker, currently employed in a suburban Denver local government agency . I've had no luck getting any of the stray planners over here.

The differences between the sites, IMHO?

Cyburbia - http://www.cyburbia.org
    Peak forum user time: weekday morning and afternoons in the US and Canada (~50-75 users)
    Yours truly. The serious planning/urbanism site, with an edge. Forum posters tend to be older than those on the skyscraper sites, and the majority are professional planners and planning students. Architecture isn't really a topic, except in the context of related issues like historic preservation and design regulations.

SkyscraperPage - http://www.skyscraperpage.com
    Peak forum user time: nights (~125-150 users)
    The 60 ton monster of skyscraper fan sites; it's been around since 1998. Finely crafted skyscraper diagrams are the site's specialty, but the forums are very busy. Recently added a photo gallery. Most users are younger "armchair architects" and "armchair planners" ; think of the audience of "Modern Marvels" and similar shows on Discovery Channel. Considered North America-centric., but still has a good amount of traffic from Europe, South America and China.

SkyscraperCity - http://www.skyscrapercity.com
    Peak forum user time: throughout the day (~75-100 users)
    Local forums for various countries, with foreign language subforums. Dominated by European and Australian skyscraper fans. More sub-forums than SkyscraperPage, but each sub-forum is less active than the equivalent on SkyscraperPage.

SkyscraperAmerica - http://skyscraperamerica.com
    Peak forum user time: nights (1-5 users)
    Supposedly founded by users who got banned from Skyscraper Page and/or SkyscraperCity. Users cannot mention SkyscraperAmerica on SkyscraperPage.

UrbanPhoto - http://www.urbanphoto.net
    Peak forum user time: nights (1-5 users)
    Great articles and photo essays. Much more blog-like than the other sites. The forums are slow, but the discussion is more intellectually stimulating than the other skyscraper sites. Lots of Canadians. Left/liberal orientation.

I learned a lot from the skyscraper sites when the Forums were rebuilt, and I'll offer them partial credit for Cyburbia's second wind.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    but we've got rugged pics of dutch dykes
    That's right!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Dan
    The differences between the sites, IMHO?

Cyburbia - http://www.cyburbia.org
    Peak forum user time: weekday morning and afternoons in the US and Canada (~50-75 users)
    Yours truly. The serious planning/urbanism site, with an edge. Forum posters tend to be older than those on the skyscraper sites, and the majority are professional planners and planning students. Architecture isn't really a topic, except in the context of related issues like historic preservation and design regulations.
    So I guess we're a bunch of slackers at work (sorry work)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I like Skyscraperpage.com for the photos, but I don't usually post anything. Some of the posters there are really talented at urban photography. You do occassionally see the statistically obsessed who call people stupid if they get the population of Tampa wrong.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Favorite skyscraper
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 07 May 2006, 8:02 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Jan 2005, 4:20 AM
  3. The Creative Class, blah, blah, blah
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 85