Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Smelly people in my office

Smelly people in my office

Rant Warning

Since I am now the new flood plain manager for the county I get a real unusual assortment of people in my office on a regular basis. The ones coming to get a mobile home permit can be spotted nearly a block away. I have just finished giving my office a good dousing of disenfectant/deoderizer (sp?) from the last guy that was here.

People, take a look in the mirror and give the bod a test smell before leaving the house please.

"Now most of the people who retire in Florida
    are wrinkled and they lean on a crutch.
    And mobile homes are smotherin' my keys;
    Well I hate those bastards so much.
    I wish a summer squall would blow them
    all the way up to fantasy land.
    They're ugly and square, they don't belong here.
    They look a lot better as beer cans. "
    Jimmy Buffett

Rant Warning Rant Warning
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Try working with one!!! Bathing is not optional!! Thankfully they are several cubes away.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When I worked in the public sector, I saw and smelled it all. (sorry stinky people)

The air is a little cleaner in the private sector!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    In the private sector... I worked with a little old man who was constantly flatulent, and must have eaten things that one could only imagine!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    In the private sector... I worked with a little old man who was constantly flatulent, and must have eaten things that one could only imagine!
    I worked for a planning director who drank diet milkshakes that gave him the farts. It was a small office and it just ranked everyone out. The guy was disgusting.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I have enough with my stinky dog that's sitting right by my off... er.. room.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Wait till you have to deal with an employee that has this problem and their co-workers come to you to sort it out. Pretty uncomfortable, especially if they are in denial.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    One day a co-worker of mine came to me as asked, do you think _____s office smells like farts?

I had never thought about it, but next time I went in there I decided, yes, it does. I hate going in there now, and I often have to.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by H
    One day a co-worker of mine came to me as asked, do you think _____s office smells like farts?
    It's a great way to keep people out of your office...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2001
    LOL... funny thread (if you don't deal with the smelly ones much).

I had a co-worker who was just a riot. She just received an awesome new chair when a new director came in and tried to claim it for himself (trading for his nice, but not *that* nice chair). Being a little wacky, she claimed that he couldn't have it since she had already farted in it several times. It skeeved him out enough that he didn't take it. I thought about it every time I sat in her chair though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by Mastiff
    It's a great way to keep people out of your office...
    Hmmm nice idea... "co-worker repelant" fart deodorizer

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I work in cubeland and have to deal with the smell of moth balls come this time of year....the older generation breaking out the winter clothes.... it is a god awful smell
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Smelly people

When I was a planner in Ketchikan Alaska I used to have a steady stream of smelly people coming into our office. A lot of times it was a salmon or halibut fisherman who had been on the fishing boat for days and decided to do a little business before going home to clean up. The smell of sweat, gasoline and fish guts is not pleasing to the nose to say the very least. Occasionally it would be someone who had spent the morning and afternoon in a local watering hole and smelled of Budweiser and whiskey. My favorite, though, was a guy who came in for a preapplication conference and smelled of really good "skunk" weed. I nearly got a contact high in my office.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Rem
    Wait till you have to deal with an employee that has this problem and their co-workers come to you to sort it out. Pretty uncomfortable, especially if they are in denial.
    We just went thru this. It was over-perfume stink, not BO stink. Fortunately, it was anothor dept heads employee, so after I received 2 complaints from my staff, I just had to tell the dept. head to handle it. She is now odoriferous.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Funny this topic came up today... right after I did the post about the co-worker who farted in her chair, one of my employees came in and complained about a temp worker who was wearing too much perfume. She'll be here for three more months. I told my boss about it and he's shying away from telling her. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to explain it to her without hurting her feelings. Ugh.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite
    Funny this topic came up today... right after I did the post about the co-worker who farted in her chair, one of my employees came in and complained about a temp worker who was wearing too much perfume. She'll be here for three more months. I told my boss about it and he's shying away from telling her. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to explain it to her without hurting her feelings. Ugh.
    MAKE THE BOSS DO IT! Shat, I'm so tired of senior managers opting out of their required duties. If you want the pay, do your work, as unpleasant as it might be.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    OT: One of my co-workers (an engineer) has a remote-control fart cushion. He loves to sabotage new employees by hiding it under their chair and then activating it from across, or outside, their office, just to see their embarrassment. He also tapes it to himself and steps into people's offices, sets it off, and then makes excuses about eating Mexican for lunch, all the while watching their grimaces as they anticipate the smell.

Back on-topic. A planning manager at a former job always smelled like sour milk. It was horrible having to go check zoning sites with him in the summer. Nobody ever said anything about that. It was his habit of playing with himself all the time that really disturbed us.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Chet
    MAKE THE BOSS DO IT! Shat, I'm so tired of senior managers opting out of their required duties. If you want the pay, do your work, as unpleasant as it might be.
    I agree. It's uncomfortable but hardly life threatening. The fact she's a temp. should make it even easier. In my case the employee had been in the place for several years before I got there his problem 'ignored' by my predecessors.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    A planning manager at a former job always smelled like sour milk. It was horrible having to go check zoning sites with him in the summer. Nobody ever said anything about that. It was his habit of playing with himself all the time that really disturbed us.
    Funny, I don't remember you from ....... hehe.

Was it Lacrosse or simply Flower Arranging?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sometimes I fart in my cube when I think the coast is clear.... and then somebody walks by, hah hahahah hahah
    -Off topic, does anyone here like to smell their own farts? Haha hahah hh ah hahhhhahh hah hahahahha h
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna

-Off topic, does anyone here like to smell their own farts? Haha hahah hh ah hahhhhahh hah hahahahha h
    That is really only a GUY thing. Delicate southern belles do not go there!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Rem
    Funny, I don't remember you from ....... hehe.

Was it Lacrosse or simply Flower Arranging?
    Um, I think it was just a reassurance thing. Like, they're still there. Of course, I remember sitting next to him at one public hearing where he kept snapping his fingers against his, uh, you know. I just kept scooting over closer to the chief planner.

If it was you, why are you asking?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I remember sitting next to him at one public hearing where he kept snapping his fingers against his, uh, you know. I just kept scooting over closer to the chief planner.

If it was you, why are you asking?
    I think he and the Chief planner may have double teaming you.

It could be I was counting - 1, 2, ...darn start again 1, 2 ....darn etc. From previous threads we know most planners are inumerate.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Rem
    I think he and the Chief planner may have double teaming you.

It could be I was counting - 1, 2, ...darn start again 1, 2 ....darn etc. From previous threads we know most planners are inumerate.
    Sounds like you know the routine. OK, Larry, when did you move to Australia?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Speaking of...I know a person who has a unique and penetrating body odor. I think it is a medical condition of some sort. We had this person over to visit once back in another town and she left this contact odor on the guest bedroom sheets. It wasn't BO funk and it was not bad "womany issues". Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Shed some light, because this woman's condition has always made me wonder what it was. It is sort of an unspoken assumption with everyone that works with her that is is out of her control and thus not to be discussed. Sort of a handicap in a way.

I have a hard time describing the odor, so I won't unless you ask..

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Sit too much in the office
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jun 2013, 1:47 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last post: 02 Jun 2013, 2:43 PM
  3. Halloween in your Office?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25