Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Buffalo, New York - The Metro Rail That Never Was, Part 1

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Buffalo, New York - The Metro Rail That Never Was, Part 1

Found this in my files, and I thought I'd get it online before I finish packing. This is the design for Buffalo's HEAVY RAIL rolling stock, from the April 1974 edition of the NFT Metro Newsletter.

I've got line drawings of the proposed "A" and "B" cars, too. I'll post them in a few weeks, if anybody's interested.

Not bad for a 29 year old design, huh?

RAPID TRANSIT CAR DESIGNED FOR NFTA

The sleek rail rapid transit vehicle shown above has been designed for the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority by Peter Muller-Munk Associates, of Pittsburgh. Electrically propelled, the trains will pick up power from a third rail carrying 650 volts of direct current. They will travel at about 55 MPH (90 kph).

Each Metro car will be 9'6" (2.9m) wide, 67' (20.5 m) long, and 11'2" (3.4 m) high from the top of the rail. The front end will be a fiberglass molding, with two windshields and en emergency evacuation door, and will provide for the train operator's cab and controls.

The photograph shows the NFTA Metro car as it would look at a platform in a subway station. The Metro transit stations will be designed to accomodate six-car trains, operating at 2-minute headways in peak traffic hours. The Metro cars will comfortable seat 60 seated passengers and 52 standees, for a total of 112 passengers in normal rush hour loading. They will have a maximum crush-load capacity of more than 200 passengers. The large, attractive picture windows will have tinted glass. There will be three sliding doors on each side of the car. These doors will permit two persons to enter or exit simultaneously.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003
    How does this compare with Buffalo's existing subway?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Oh man can't wait to show my coworkers. I'd like to see the other cars too.

Pittsburg
    Did you mean Pittsburgh, Pa, or Pittsburg, Ca?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by jordanb
    How does this compare with Buffalo's existing subway?
    Current Buffalo rolling stock: light rail, made by Tokyu in 1983. 67 feet long, 51 seats, 90 standees, maximum four car sets (usually runs in two or three car sets).

From http://www.nycsubway.org

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Dan
    Current Buffalo rolling stock: light rail, made by Tokyu in 1983. 67 feet long, 51 seats, 90 standees, maximum four car sets (usually runs in two or three car sets).
    -They've got some new stock in the line-up though.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    -They've got some new stock in the line-up though.
    New rail cars? Any plans available online? They're not just old Tokyu cars that have been repainted, are they?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Dan
    New rail cars? Any plans available online?
    I'll check to find some pictures here, but they look a little more modern than the 70's stock. Try this link for pics
    http://www.nfta.com
    although I don't think they have any.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hey Dan, here's some pics of the new rail car.
    Looking south down Main St from Mowhawk

Looking SE from Aud

Looking east

Looking North as train goes under HSBC building.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 22 Jan 2009, 11:36 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 11:10 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Jul 2005, 1:32 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Mar 2005, 2:04 PM
  5. Replies: 2