+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tickets

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Oh the price of freedom.

Originally posted by H
    Another frichen ticket
    So if it's not too embarrassing, how many have you gotten?

I'll start: one moving violation for my entire driving career...40 in a 35 zone....I was a 17 yo....plenty of parking tix.

You know, this should probably be another thread....sorr

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Once got a boot on my car in pittsburgh for having over $400 dollars in tickets, those bastards. Got ticket for speeding and running red light there and I fought the law and I won. No tickets here because everybody runs red lights and stopsigns. Plus I use masstransit alot.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2003

Re: Re: Oh the price of freedom.

Originally posted by RichmondJake
    So if it's not too embarrassing, how many have you gotten?

(snip)

You know, this should probably be another thread....sorr
    I actually only have had three in my life, but this is the second in a row! My insurance just went up for the last one (driving with expired tags), so now it will go up again! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And yes this would be a good other thread. Maybe our wonderful mod will make it happen

And the Mod did make it so. And the peasants did rejoice!
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've never gotten a ticket for a moving violation. I've had two parking tickets - one when I was moving into a new apartment and decided that I should block in the u-haul trailer "just in case". I cleared it with security, but still ended up with a ticket the next morning.

The other ticket I got in Montreal, where they seem to single out cars with Ontario plates. When I paid, I made the cheque out to the "Montreal Tourist Extortion Fund".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Ontario plates.
    In my neck of the woods it seems like the residents from Alberta are some of the worst drivers I've seen....fast & erratic.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    One speeding ticket - doing 145km/hr in a 110km/hr. Cop droped it to 124 so that I would not lose points/affect insurance. ($250 fine)

Two improperly registered motor vehicles. Both on purpose. I have found that if you forget to sign things, when they pull you over they charge you with that instead of the speeding ticket, especially if you act stupid. ($87.50 each time, both times pulled over for speeding) Can only use this once a year and only after you've renewed your registration.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

In my life I have gotten 6 speeding tickets. Three of them were in the first three months that I had my license. Needless to say, I lost my license 4 months after I received it. After I got it back I went almost 10 years with no tickets. I have also received not 1, but 2 "Illegal U turn tickets." One was bs and got dropped. They thought I was cruising. The other was legit.

I have also been pulled over 2 times for suspect reasons (they were looking for DUI tickets). Once I was going 27 in a 25 and they pulled me over. I had a couple drinks, but was nowhere near legal intoxication - they let me go when they figured that out. The other time they claimed I had a broken taillight, but really thought I was either drunk or buying cocaine at this known coke bar (I was unaware of this reputation). Once they gave be the Breathalyzer and the tests, they realized that indeed I had had only 1 beer and had no cocaine in my car. The officer's attitude changed and he told us that next time we went out in that City we should try some other bars and gave us directions to one of them. When I got home, I checked the tail light and it worked fine.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just a coupla speeding tickets. I manage to get one every few years. Nothing ever really all that dumb, always JUST over the limit. Last one I got was $10 for doing 10 over in Fargo at 1:00 am. Cost more for the cop to pull me over and write the ticket than they made off the damn thing....
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    No speeding tickets yet, although I've been pulled over and warned. I did get a ticket for hitting a parked police car on ice once though. And I got towed for having an expired registration. I thought it was stolen.

I found that people in Portland, OR drive very slowly and carefully. It was weird, like the laid back vibe there extended to their driving habits. They actually weren't trying to kill me.

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I've had three traffic tickets in my life. One for doing 35 in a 25 zone, one for running a blinking red stoplight, and one for trying to beat a red light.

I have yet to get one here in Chicago. As with everyone else on the tollway, I generally go 70 mph instead of the 55 mph max.

Also, in the city the cops have more important things to worry about then people running lights or drifting through stop signs, but in my neighborhood, the meter maids are ruthless.

I can't wait to get to a place where I don't have to drive as much as I do now.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    *knocks on wood* no speeding tickets but a few parking tickets. They are evil those meter maids in the DC area.

In college I had gone to pick someone up at a dorm and left my flashers on in the loading zone. I was gone not 5 min and BAM there was a 100 buck ticket for parking in a loading zone. never mind the student handbook said you could do just what i did for 15 min for loading and unloading. I was peeved to no end. But i looked closer and they got my tag number wrong (dumb cop) so i got off free.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    meter maids
    It's a known fact that, nationwide, meter maids eat their own (sorry meter maids).

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Two speeding tickets when I was less than 20. 15 mph over limit both times. Since I learned not to go that much over, no tickets.
    I did get pulled over once because of suspicion of DUI. My friends lived a block behind the bar, my husband was working second shift and I was going to pick him up just as the bar closed. Going over a bridge, I was driving around the potholes in the road. At the end of the bridge the lights came on. As the officer was getting chewed for the condition of the road... he requested that I be on my way. I evidently was not drunk.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I manage to average one for speeding about every four or five years. It is almost always for doing just over the limit, and in places where I thought the speed limit was higher. For instance, one (about a half mile from the state line - grrrr) was on an interstate where the limit dropped from 65 to 55. I was doing 67.

I am surprised to hear people would be fined for registration. I was ticketed twice for expired registration. The first was thrown out because I was ticketed in a parking lot, and the judge commented "as far as I know you don't have to have a car registered to have it parked." The second was dismissed when I showed the judge that the car was now registered.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    10 speeding tickets in 12 years.

One was actually a criminal speeding violation which meant I was eligible for arrest at officer's discretion. Luckily it was the middle of the desert and the nearest jail was over an hour away. Took a plea in court and got a civil traffic violation, thankfully. Haven't had another ticket since the criminal violation 2 years ago.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've probably had about 6 speeding tickets over the last 20 years.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by RichmondJake
    It's a known fact that, nationwide, meter maids eat their own (sorry meter maids).
    Yeah they do. Thats the reason I got $400 dollars worth of illegal parking tickets. I even told one to go feed her mother.

EDIT - Unnecessary language editted out.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Yeah they do. Thats the reason I got $400 dollars worth of illegal parking tickets. I even told one to go feed her mother.

EDIT - Unnecessary language editted out.
    Whats wrong with Dykes, we had a poll on them (sorry dykes).

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    It's all in the context my friend - you have no proof regarding the sexual orientation of meter maids, and it makes your comments unnecesarily hateful.

Thanks,

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    It's all in the context my friend - you have no proof regarding the sexual orientation of meter maids, and it makes your comments unnecesarily hateful.

Thanks,
    It was a joke but I see, I just hate meter maids in general, they rot (sorry rotten stuff).

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I had one in the last year, prior to that, its been a few years-although I went through a brief period where I had three (an illegal left turn-another "tourist extortion" type sting) and a couple of others. The DMV even sent me a warning letter

My biggest gripe: Over-engineered streets. For example, in my town of residence, there is a main residential arterial. Huge street with four lanes, gentle curves plenty of good signt-lines. The set speed limit: 25 mph. Right! Absolutely ridiculous how we design street widths in this country.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    when I was in grad school in Denver, CO
    I collected enough tickets to earn the Denver Boot
    this almost financial wiped me out - I was that poor.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've only gotten one ticket in the six years I've been driving, but have gotten plenty of warnings.

My one ticket was for 68 in a 40 when I was 16. It was below freezing and I had the convertible top down wearing my ski parka. Cops thought I was crazy and reduced my speed to 60. I was actually on my way to serve as a councilor at a Boy Scout day camp, but the cop didn't buy it. The best part was that my Eagle Award Ceremony was the same day as my court date, so I showed up in court with my full uniform. The cop felt a little guilty.

I worked at this little pizza place all through high school where cops ate all the time. Many of them would recognize me when they stopped me and would let me off with a warning.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I've only gotten one speeding ticket and fortunately it did not go on my driving record.

I have a motherload of outstanding parking tickets on my old vehicle. Let them try to catch me if they can!! MUUWWWWHAAA
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Whats wrong with Dykes, we had a poll on them (sorry dykes).
    Besides, we want to keep the areas outside the FAC more professional. If we scare all of the professionals away, all that will be left is us sick minded perverts..... (sorry sick minded perverts)
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Boss tickets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Jun 2006, 5:01 PM
  2. Help Me Find Cheap Tickets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Jun 2006, 3:40 PM