Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oh the price of freedom.

Registered
    Feb 2003

Oh the price of freedom.

***WARNING**** RANT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Another frichen ticket tonight, so there goes my insurance premiums trough the roof. I barely drive 20 miles in a week but yet this stupid car is like a brick on my wallet (and I donít even have any car payments).
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    May 2003

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Look at it positively. You didn't get a criminal violation and wind up jail.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Whadja do, H?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Originally posted by jordanb
    Very eloquently stated jordanb

Registered
    Dec 2003
    You ever watch the movie "Fargo"? There's a solution to your problem.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Whadja do, H?
    I allegedly failed to stop completely at a stop sign. I have been speaking with people at work today and I have decided to go to pretrial to see if I can get rid of the points.

Apparently the worst-case scenario of a pre-trial is everything stays the same and you waste a morning, so I will give it a go.

I will post an update after my pre-trail.

Jordanb I would love to be solely dependent on public transit, and I do use it frequently. However, I occasionally need (both for work and personal reasons) to go places that public transit wonít take me. So, unfortunately, I must keep the car around.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Originally posted by H
    Jordanb I would love to be solely dependent on public transit, and I do use it frequently. However, I occasionally need (both for work and personal reasons) to go places that public transit wonít take me. So, unfortunately, I must keep the car around.
    Thats no excuse in JordanB's world. He wants you to borrow a car from some faraway public storage area where communal cars are stored. Since you only need it a few times per week or so, you are supposed to waste half a day each way to get it. No info given on what happens if the cars are all taken when you need it.

Good luck on fighting it though!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've gone to court over tickets. The last one, a couple years ago, the judge did not assess points. I think it helped that the person before me was very rude and was even threatened with a fine for contempt. I got up and made it a point to be extra polite. It had also been three years since I had my last ticket.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Thats no excuse in JordanB's world. He wants you to borrow a car from some faraway public storage area where communal cars are stored. Since you only need it a few times per week or so, you are supposed to waste half a day each way to get it. No info given on what happens if the cars are all taken when you need it.
    Where did he post that one? That sounds unreasonable! Telling people how to think... THE SHAME!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Jordanb I would love to be solely dependent on public transit, and I do use it frequently. However, I occasionally need (both for work and personal reasons) to go places that public transit wonít take me. So, unfortunately, I must keep the car around. [/B]
    Depending on how often you need a car, it might pay to rent a wreck occassionally instead of owning.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Where did he post that one? That sounds unreasonable! Telling people how to think... THE SHAME!
    It was in some other thread a number of weeks back. The discussion was one of those about Mega cities vs cities and requiring flexible transport in the US. Don't remember which one. If it works for him thats cool.

I drive 3K to 4K a month so it pays for me to have a car.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    May 2003
    Generally, the idea behind the car share is that A) there are numerous locations around the city where cars are stored so you don' t have to travel far. I could walk to the location nearest me in about twenty minutes (or take the train or bus in 10-15) and B) They make sure there are enough cars to handle the number of people who need them in all but extreme cases, but the program also has a relationship with rent-a-car places in case it needs more (or you need the car for an extended length of time).

At any rate, the program in Chicago is pretty shitty, it's almost as expensive as getting a cab, so people just do that. In other places, like San Francisco and Philadelphia, it has gone off pretty well.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Originally posted by Budgie
    Depending on how often you need a car, it might pay to rent a wreck occassionally instead of owning.
    You bring up an excellent point and this is a good solution and I actually have/am considering doing this in the near future. Without going into great detail, I will just say that I am waiting on a few (professional) outcomes before making any life changing moves right now. I am currently in that limbo stage and need to have the car handy, but I foresee the thing being sold (without replacement) in the next 6 months.

Registered
    Feb 2000

This is my plan too.

Originally posted by H
    You bring up an excellent point and this is a good solution and I actually have/am considering doing this in the near future. Without going into great detail, I will just say that I am waiting on a few (professional) outcomes before making any life changing moves right now. I am currently in that limbo stage and need to have the car handy, but I foresee the thing being sold (without replacement) in the next 6 months.
    I might be days from this change. My segway helps me out alot.

"You have taken your first step into a larger world." Obi-Wan Kenobi

Registered
    Nov 2002

Re: Oh the price of freedom.

Originally posted by H
    ***WARNING**** RANT

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Another frichen ticket tonight,
    Another one Racer H? Have you been lead-footing around Miami a lot?

Registered
    Feb 2000

Re: This is my plan too.

I might be days from this change. My segway helps me out alot.
    As of December 1st, all of my in-town trips will be carless. And in 6 months, one of our cars will be obsolete and disposed of properly along with insurance, gas, tags, taxes, repairs, maintenance, etc.... I'll be able to buy my dream home. HA !!!!

If owning your own home is the american dream, I think cars are the antithesis of the american dream.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: Re: This is my plan too.

And in 6 months, one of our cars will be obsolete and disposed of properly along with insurance, gas, tags, taxes, repairs, maintenance, etc.... I'll be able to buy my dream home. HA !!!!
    This doesn't have anything to do with fire does it?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2003

As of December 1st, all of my in-town trips will be carless. And in 6 months, one of our cars will be obsolete and disposed of properly along with insurance, gas, tags, taxes, repairs, maintenance, etc.... I'll be able to buy my dream home. HA !!!!
    Right on!!!

Registered
    Apr 2003

If owning your own home is the american dream, I think cars are the antithesis of the american dream.
    It's all about those "Location Efficient Mortgages". We're marketing them here with Citizen's Bank and Fannie Mae. We've got the ads up already. It's a picture of a train station and it says: "Looking for a house? Look for one of these!"

In case you don't know, If you agree in writing to limit yourself to one car for a specified number of years the bank will factor the absence of car expenses into the size of your mortgage. I think it normally winds up being 20% extra that they'll let you borrow.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the ťlite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Re: Re: Re: This is my plan too.

Originally posted by jresta
    It's all about those "Location Efficient Mortgages". We're marketing them here with Citizen's Bank and Fannie Mae. We've got the ads up already. It's a picture of a train station and it says: "Looking for a house? Look for one of these!"

In case you don't know, If you agree in writing to limit yourself to one car for a specified number of years the bank will factor the absence of car expenses into the size of your mortgage. I think it normally winds up being 20% extra that they'll let you borrow.
    I love LEMs, their truly an economics based common-sense approach. I've posted this opinion on these boards several times. I think a developer will offer LEMs on downtown condos and the Condo comes with a Segway (or two) and transit passes. Why housing marketing hasn't done this yet is beyond me. A TDM based on this approach coupled with employee incentives and reduced parking requirements could go along way and make sound fiscal sense. IMO

Registered
    Feb 2003

Re: Re: Re: This is my plan too.

Originally posted by jresta
    Does Fannie Mae give you ratio credit or do they just not count it against your debt ratio? I mean how would they count not having a car payment any different then counting not having a credit card payment? All it does is improve your debt ratio.

Plus, there is no way they could enforce this should you sign and change your mind and buy a car the day after your loan closes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sustainable Freedom Lab dot org
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Jan 2013, 11:46 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Nov 2012, 4:26 PM
  3. Freedom Ranch
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 54
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 11:54 AM