Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A shooting in my town!

Registered
    Jun 2003

A shooting in my town!

Keep in mind, my town is MAYBE 3500 strong.

Man shoots self, wounds two others

Kind of a freaky story from my home town last night. I drove into town about 5:30 to see the whole down town cordoned off with that yellow tape. Flashers bounching off of every surface, and towns folk milling about trying to see the dead body on the ground(which I drove by, not even realizing). To my knowledge, nothing like this has ever happened in Le Sueur. People are dumb. I just hope that the driver ends up being ok. I know the airlifted him to the Cities for more serious wounds.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I know some of the more urban people here may shrug off murders, but in small rural communities it's pretty rare. We have had only one stabbing (gang-related) and one shot fired (nobody hit) in the seven years I have been here.

Registered
    Oct 2003

Re: A shooting in my town!

Originally posted by martini
    Article says 3922. I think the first 15 minutes of the news is all deaths here. When I was in high school some one was murdered in my neighborhood (shot by the chauffeur just like a soap) and we barely noticed. Sad how desensitized we can become.

Registered
    May 2003
    Heh, my rural relatives keep on asking me if I've ever "had any trouble on the L" like it's a hive of crime and villainy or something. At first, I wasn't sure what they were asking and said something to the effect of "every once in a while, it's late, but it's usually pretty dependable."

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Damn, we not only had a couple murders yesterday, we even had a DEA agent get shot.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We had a guy walk into a bar in a small town (pop. 350) in our county and shoot and kill 4 people. But there won't be a trial...he then turned the gun on himself.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Our last murder was about 4 years ago. It happened about 2 blocks from my house and was drug related. ( I live in my City's version of the 'hood)

I should add that the city I live in is home to one of Canada's biggest mass murders. (Allen Legere)
    Last edited by donk; 05 Nov 2003 at 12:27 PM.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The smallest town I ever lived in was 22,000, so I can't really relate to true small town mentality. But, when I was living in this town a little girl was abducted and later found dead. It was amazing how something like that hit the community. It was a real eye opener for me, where coming from L.A. we were used to gang violence and driveby shootings.

Sorry to hear about your town... it must be tough

You could tell from the article that this happened in a small town though... if someone was shooting at a house in an urban area, I bet the average resident would hit the floor then dial 911. I can't believe that woman ran into her front yard when the dude was across the street shooting at her.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Flashers bounching off of every surface, and towns folk milling about trying to see the dead body on the ground(which I drove by, not even realizing).
    You didn't run him over did you? (all right people I'm sorry)

In all seriousness, I guess you just can't excape the carnage no matter where you live. The worst thing around here to see is when they drag a body out of the river, I guess its still an attractive disposal area for bodies.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Nov 2002
    There was a gang/drug related shooting a block and a half away from my apartment last night around 7:30. I heard about six shots from what sounded to be right outside my living room window. I live on the edge of a gentryfing neighborhood with no real crime so this is very unusual, and distressing to my neighbors (mostly young families and gay couples). Although, according to the news last night, the guy who was killed was in a wheelchair due to his injuries from being shot two previous occasions so his demise can't really be that suprising to anyone.

I'm from a very rural area so if anybody was murdered in my homeown it was most likely because he "Needed killing."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Crime is quite regular here, but the again Valdivia is a city of 130,000 inhabitants.
    Right now, a girl from architecture dissappeared in a Halloween party... turns out I know (knew?) her...

Registered
    May 2003
    I think that's an important thing to remember about urban and rural crime. With urban crime, the victim is almost always someone in the criminal underworld who nobody around there really knows anyway. (For instance, 75% of all murder victims in Chicago have a criminal record). So if you witness a crime (hear gunshots, etc) you can rest assured that A) the victim probably deserved it and B) you don't know them. As a result, witnessing crime is kinda like seeing a bad auto accident on the freeway, you register it but don't dwell on it.

With rural crime, everyone in the town probably knew both the victim and the perpetrator well. Maybe the perpetrator "got himself into some trouble from time to time," but it's not the same thing as hearing some random drug dealer got capped. It's much more personal to the community and thus, has a much greater impact.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Originally posted by biscuit

I'm from a very rural area so if anybody was murdered in my homeown it was most likely because he "Needed killing."
    That was the justification used at a case down by my parents.

A guy had "ratted outanother fella for poachin' and then got what he deserved"". The killer forgot to tell the judge that he went home, sawed off the shot gun then drove back and popped the guy from 10 feet away, 3 times.

This was in a community of about 250 people, where most are related.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    As sick as it is, we had a pool at a bar that I hung out at when I was living in Reading, as to how many murders would happen that week.
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by donk
    A guy had "ratted outanother fella for poachin' and then got what he deserved"". The killer forgot to tell the judge that he went home, sawed off the shot gun then drove back and popped the guy from 10 feet away, 3 times.
    Yeesh. Some people take life's lessons a tad too serious.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Always describe my employer as "all the problems of the big city (with none of the cultural benefits). We have regular shootings-although from a statistical standpoint it is pretty rare in reality. Still, there is a eprception that parts of the City are dangerous.

Often, though, its as jordanb describes, youth gangs/drug dealers.

Registered
    Dec 2001

in 2000, my sleepy little town of 14,100 (according to the latest census) experianced 9 murder cases. normally it has 1 or 2.

in 2000, i remember a stabbing, shooting, a beating, and a dragging.

Man shoots self, wounds two others

Kind of a freaky story from my home town last night. I drove into town about 5:30 to see the whole down town cordoned off with that yellow tape. Flashers bounching off of every surface, and towns folk milling about trying to see the dead body on the ground(which I drove by, not even realizing). To my knowledge, nothing like this has ever happened in Le Sueur. People are dumb. I just hope that the driver ends up being ok. I know the airlifted him to the Cities for more serious wounds.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How bad am I shooting myself in the foot?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 03 Jul 2012, 7:07 AM
  2. NIU Shooting Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 8:36 PM
  3. Shooting ranges
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Feb 1998, 1:59 AM
  4. Replies: 2