Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Election results?

Registered
    Jul 2003

Election results?

Two of the three city council incumbants lost in the town I live in and all three won in the town I work for. My hometown is going for youth. Could be good, although one of the newly elected council members dated my wife. Well, she was not my wife then.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Re: Election results?

Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    ...one of the newly elected council members dated my wife. Well, she was not my wife then.
    Consider yourself lucky then !!!!

No offense !!!

Registered
    Dec 2003

Re: Election results?

Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    My hometown is going for youth. Could be good, although one of the newly elected council members dated my wife. Well, she was not my wife then.
    Dude I hope you didn't vote for the guy, might be time to leave town.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Hell no. Did not vote for the another candidate who is married to my wife's friend. I also know the candidate since we went to school together. Did not want a developer on the City Council.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    incumbents both won.

The biggest news, though, was a local bit of ballot box planning. Very briefly, Measure L restricts the ability of the City to change our General Plan and annex more land in certain critical areas near the Airbase (and elsewhere). Requires a vote of the electorate now. It won pretty convincingly (60-40)

The incumbents got trounced losing the mayor, clerk, and eight of nine council positions. So much for representational democracy.

The mayor ticked off employees in every single department by being confrontational and downright mean to people (the Planning Director got canned a year ago -- after 25 + years stellar employment -- because the mayor felt dis-respected by the PD at a council meeting). Most employees here are from one party and they got behind their candidate and turned out the vote big time.

The worst part, as many of you in the public sector have experienced, is the seven weeks in purgatory between the old administration and the new taking office. Nobody wants to authorize anything and government just about comes to a screeching halt. Some politicos who will lose their jobs are quite bitter and mean-spirited. As an "old hand" -- this is my fourth general election -- I'm used to it, but some of our younger staff are quite shaken up.

It is quite an odd experience to work with folks for 4 or 8 years and come in January 2 and there's an entirely new crowd in place. "Umm, hi, nice to meet you. Could you tell me where you moved the photocopier?"

BKM you should see what they've done to annexation back here in Hoosierland. You just about need a full-time annexation planner/lawyer to get hold of a piece of ground.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Election 2012: Parse the Results
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 78
    Last post: 17 Nov 2012, 6:12 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Feb 2008, 2:05 PM
  3. Another election results thread...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32