Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Brew Heaven

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Home Brew Heaven

I thought Rumpy and EG and some of the others who brew thier own beer at home would like to see a larger scale home brewery. If for no other reason than to see how large a brewery you can own in a small space.

The link takes you to the gallery where you get to see pics of the system I just built this last weekend.

Its RUGGED by any stadard! 3/16 inch, 3 inch angle iron, mild steel. 4 foot 6 inches wide, by 20 inches deep by 4 foot tall.

The mash barrell can hold roughly 200 pounds of grain and easily mash 2 US barrells of beer at a crack (4 standard half barrells.

The kegs of the rack are standard half barrells and I can boil both at the same time. 2 more half barrells will go on top for a full barrell of water in the hot water tank for the mash.

This set up is the pilot batch brewery for "Mythic Brewing, LLC"

Does anyone have a firm reference on how much home brew you can legally make in a year before the ATF becomes unhappy?

First batch being made at thanksgiving!

Home Brew System HEAVY
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001
    RUGGED!

You know, thats how the men at Lakeside Brewery got started...

To quote the guy from that Dodge Hemi commercial...Sweet!

I haven't brewed in about a year, but your creation inspires me.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jun 2003
    [homer]mmmm ...beer[/homer]

Nice Duke! I've really gotta set soemthing up in the basement. I've got waaaay too much space down there to NOT use for something that can be as inspiring as beer.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Duke dude, this beer here drinker is impressed.....
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Nice, thats some quanity you got going. Unfortunately I need to get some more space in order to start brewing more beer
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Rugged Showoff!

Cool - My wire welder awaits some free time and some unassigned funds. Then I too will construct the Brewmaster 2150 (tm)!

Go to www.ibrewbeer.com for some plumbing ideas!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Rugged Showoff!

Cool - My wire welder awaits some free time and some unassigned funds. Then I too will construct the Brewmaster 2150 (tm)!

Go to www.ibrewbeer.com for some plumbing ideas!
    Holy crap that things a monster!
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Jul 2002
    From a former homebrewer to a active homebrewer "NICE WORK"

For those of you in the Midwest you probably know of Bell's Beer. Larry Bell started out as a home brewer in 1983 and now he produces close to 60,000 barrels a year.

You can read the history of Bell's Beer at

http://www.bellsbeer.com/history.asp

Keep Brewing and DRINK UP you have a long way to go to catch Larry, heck it took him 20 years.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by JoshD
    Keep Brewing and DRINK UP you have a long way to go to catch Larry, heck it took him 20 years.
    MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

THE GRANDSONS OF ADOLPHUS BUSCH QUAKE AT MY APPROACH1

I have been to Belle's Brewery for the eccentric brew festival. Sort of a bizarre mix of goth meets hippies meets halloween! IT WAS A REALLY GREAT TIME! I suggest the event be a pilgrimage to those who like quirky events with beer as the primary focus

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Thanks for the plumbing pointer. I will be doing without a lot of fancy plumbing for a while. I need a good pump but am also short of fundage so I am going to substitute with elbow grease

Some day I will get more automated. Right now I want to make a couple hundred gallons in the garage. If there are no complaints from the next door neighbors, I should be able to get the variance required from the city for a home occupation (will voluntarily limit production to 1 barrel per week (6 hours on a saturday between 10 & 4)). Can't just welch on this cause the ATF wants thier taxes and I want to stay legal

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hey Duke, you got any suggestions for books on brewing larger quanities (garage size) to micro-brew size?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Hey Duke, you got any suggestions for books on brewing larger quanities (garage size) to micro-brew size?
    Yeah, I keep meaning to sit down and send you some of that reference material.

I don't have anything on larger batches. I just found that each time I brew, I try more things. It has turned into a hobby gone horribly wrong! (right ? )

I have some sites that sell used micro brew equipment I can point you at.

1 barrell is the limit before you start making micro brew size batches. There is a small brewery that started out in WI with a 3 barrell brewery. Try this link for the larger size home/pilot brewing equipment Beer Beer and More Beer

The rest is enginuity along with trial and error. I have a text book on designing beers by style. If you are thinking microbrewery sized equipment, think of fermentors recycled from Stainless steel milk tanks off of a farm.

other suggestions like, make sure crap beer signs are prominantly displayed in your pub. Who cares what they are drinking as long as they drink at your establishment. Once in 3 week customers are not regular enough to keep the place interesting or afloat.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Thanks dude, I've got to get my motivation back in gear.

Registered
    Jul 2003

Re: Home Brew Heaven

Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    Home Brew System HEAVY
    Hey Rumpy,

Go back to the gallary, I posted a picture of a mock up of my first beer label. I do a lot of drawing at the bar when I go out for stuff like this. Find friends who will/can help you put things together, build brew equipment, and just generally scrounge for stuff. Ask the public works guys you are on good terms to look for burners and stuff on garbage day. Farmers/gardeners are a good source to dump waste grains off on. All kinds of stuff to do it right, on the cheap.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Wow!

Reminds me of a homebrewing setup I saw in some guy's garage in El Paso several years ago ... actually, it took up one space in a two car garage. He was a member of a homebrewing club that a bunch of us from Cruces would visit every couple of weeks. The setup was literally a picobrewery, comparable to what might be seen in a small restaurant. It could whip up a batch of a few cases, or about 10 barrels. He even converted a couple of fridges for lagering. I won't even mention wort boiling, except to say it was RUGGED!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Thats some fine detailed label. Yeah I was going ask you where I could dump the grain.

My labels are just silly right now as you can tell by my avator.

I've got to check this out more in depth, very interesting stuff. Congrats on the fine set up Duke.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Yeah I was going ask you where I could dump the grain.
    I don't know where you live but Bell's Brewery does two things with their spent grains 1) give it to a local bakery who makes "Beer Bread" it is good stuff. 2) has a local farmer come take it away and they feed it to their live stock.

This is what they used to do a few years back. Bell's recentl opened a new production outside the City and all brewers I used to talk to in the pub arn't around as much so I don't know if they still do that.

Those are just a couple options I am aware of.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    ?
    At what volume amount c/sh/w/ould homebrewing become
    a zoning violation - a non permitted home occupation
    or
    a health dept. violation?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by JNA
    ?
    or
    Beer trumps zoning & health regulations.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by JNA
    ?
    or
    I believe there is a legal limit of 100 gallons per year per adult over 21 years of age residing in the home.

After that, you need to get a brewers license. That includes the background enama check by the ATF feds, and local health inspections of equip and stuff.

I almost broke that law once but the 1 of the last 3 glass jugs broke on me that year so I was still legal.

My question is this, if you planned to make 150 gallons per year (averages just over 3, 12 ouncers a night every night ), would any of the authorities really want to deal with all the BS to make you comply? I bet they wouldn't unless you tried to sell commerical.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I believe there is a legal limit of 100 gallons per year per adult over 21 years of age residing in the home.

After that, you need to get a brewers license. That includes the background enama check by the ATF feds, and local health inspections of equip and stuff.
    I bet they wouldn't unless you tried to sell commerical.
    Hmmmm, I could use a good enima. So you have to get a licence at the federal level, and the state level, and probally the local level huh. Geeessseee, I don't know if I need the ATF sniffing around.
    But if I'm going start Rumpy's Rampage I guess I'll have to. Going down to the County offices friday to file my business name (hah it actually will be copyright, copyright) and plan. I guess if you want things to happen, you've got to make things happen even if everybody thinks your crazy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    .....But if I'm going start Rumpy's Rampage I guess I'll have to. Going down to the County offices friday to file my business name (hah it actually will be copyright, copyright) and plan. I guess if you want things to happen, you've got to make things happen even if everybody thinks your crazy.
    You may be able to file a business name from your computer at home through the state level. Do a google search for your state for LLC formation.

A Corp. is to much paperwork, and a private ownership where you just hang your shingle out as the owner carries to much liablility. Go with the LLC, protects private assets that flow through to you and gives you many Corp protections at the same time without the hassle of company boards and stuff.

Also, file for your internet .com address. Even if you don't use them, they are lagitimatly associated with your company so you don't have to worry about squaters or others.

I filed in WI under Mythic Brewing LLC right over the internet. Also have my web domain names whenever I find a host.

I have a lot to figure out though yet

Registered
    Dec 2003
    You may be able to file a business name from your computer at home through the state level. Do a google search for your state for LLC formation.

A Corp. is to much paperwork, and a private ownership where you just hang your shingle out as the owner carries to much liablility. Go with the LLC, protects private assets that flow through to you and gives you many Corp protections at the same time without the hassle of company boards and stuff.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Planner Heaven
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2012, 10:04 AM
  2. Brew & a Buzz
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 May 2004, 11:11 AM