Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are we safer after 9-11 and the Patriot Act? (As inspired by BKM's prediction)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Are we safer after 9-11 and the Patriot Act? (As inspired by BKM's prediction)

BKM's post in the Mosque made me think, we as a nation are no more safe now than we were the morning of September 11.

Students sneak box cutters onto commercial airliners.

Ports are terribly unprotected and customs officials can not possibly look into every shippin container.

We share the worlds longest unprotected border with Canada, and you cant expect the Canadians to protect to US of A.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Re: Are we safer after 9-11 and the Patriot Act? (As inspired by BKM's prediction)

Originally posted by Chet
    We share the worlds longest unprotected border with Canada, and you cant expect the Canadians to protect to US of A.
    Actually, it is in Canada's best interest to make sure the border is well protected - the damage caused to our economy when the border is clogged or closed down is tremendous. It seems every time a terrorist plot is uncovered (including 9/11) it is automatically linked to Canada, and our "porous" border. Nobody says anything when it's actually determined that the link is bogus or highly tenuous.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Definitely not safer. In Arizona we see so much illegal crossing it isn't even shocking anymore. The gangs who used to smuggle drugs? Oh well now they are in the people smuggling business. Apparently it is a growth industry.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Definitly not safer....if anything worse off.

More time has passed, and their plans for the bomb filled with nuclear waste from some hospital is closer to being built.

The nasty bio toxins which are planned for release in salad bars nation wide are closer to coming to fruition.

No we're not safer. And no, I don't want a Mosque in my neighborhood. Sorry Muslims and all other Middle Eastern men ages 15-90. I don't feel safe around you, because your religion preaches "jihad" and your religion tells you to reign "fire upon my people."

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No I dont see that we are any safer. We only try to make our own people think we are safer or try to scare them into giving up more money or liberty.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

The Patriot Act infuriates me and I just hope to live long enough to see the pendulum swing back to a free and open society.

I live 100m from a major freight rail line and while my little 'burg is unlikely to be a target of terrorism, *the next town over* is. What moves across those rails, and the industries they serve, could result in unprecedented death and destruction in a derailment -- terrorist caused or not. In this, I tend to prefer to bury my head in the sand.

IMO, the terrorists are already here and they are waiting.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

I'd be more worried about US/Mexico border. But no we are not more safe and the shit will hit the fan again, probably bigger and better next time. It's coming, just be patient. These guys like to take their time, remember they're thinking in the span of a hundred two hundred years to destroy the Satanic empire. Ten years from now when a major terrorist attack happens and rips a new A-hole in our economy maybe we'll get it -there is no where in this world where you can fully stop this orginization except in our own land. Try to find al queda in Colombia, Brazil, Ecuador, Argentina, Uraguay, Paraguay, Venezuela, Mexico, Darien Gap, Any of the Americas! You won't! They're here and they're already promoting their interest'.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Not safer and less free -IMHO.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Glad to see we agree on this Guap
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by el Guapo
    Not safer and less free -IMHO.
    Ditto -- "we're the gov't, and we're here to help you"....right.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No safer, but no less free - IMHO.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I think we're the same as we were pre 911. The only difference now is the hystaria surronding the paraniod people who believe everything the govt tells them. The Pat Act really pisses me off. We should start a thread on why the U.S. is going to hell and how our founding fathers are rolling in their graves.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

No way are we safer. I think that we probably were a bit safer after the Afghanistan war, but the Iraq war has probably inflamed anti-us sentiment. Anyone who lost a home, a relative, or a friend in the US attacks is a potential terrorist recruit.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by El Feo
    No safer, but no less free - IMHO.
    Every now and then we "right thinking citizens" will disagree. The country will survive, but I'm worried that we are too quick to allow a civil rights cavity probe instead of telling Americans "we can't protect you against everything so get a gun, a can of mace, a cell phone or whatever and watch your own back."

I'd encourage the packing of heat by (reasonably screened) air travelers.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Every now and then we "right thinking citizens" will disagree. The country will survive, but I'm worried that we are too quick to allow a civil rights cavity probe instead of telling Americans "we can't protect you against everything so get a gun, a can of mace, a cell phone or whatever and watch your own back."

I'd encourage the packing of heat by (reasonably screened) air travelers.
    Know what you're saying. Frankly, I'm far more incensed by the petty (or not so petty) tyranny of Massachusetts gun laws than I am about anything contained in the PA. I'm screwed if an armed burglar comes into my house, much less a terrorist. My feeling is - we've survived cavity probes in the past (brought to you by Lincoln, Wilson, FDR). But while I disagree there's real cause for concern due to PA I can appreciate the reason that you and others are concerned.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just as safe.

It's all about perception.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    This article is weak, but I imagine a future where your ass goes to Gitmo for pissing off the administration (any administration D. or R.) is not too far off. As a nation we don't dont value our constitution over our security. I'd rather live in a free society that has the occasional terrorist strike than an absolutely safe East Germany. I'm not saying we shouldn't prosecute the war on terror (whatever that means). I'm saying that we can do it and still operate under the pre-911 Constitution.

Protest the government's policies in the near future and you'll get an orange jump suit, a tropical dog kennel, and a copy of the Koran.

http://reviewjournal.printthis.click...&partnerID=565

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I imagine a future where your ass goes to Gitmo for pissing off the administration (any administration D. or R.) is not too far off.
    No, no, no - you've got it all wrong. They're gonna turn Manhattan into a Maximum Security prison...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I don't think we're safer. It's an extra worry in The Big Easy because we have one of the most active ports in the world.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'm just gonna crawl under my bed now.....let me know when it's all over.....
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Nows a good time to buy stock in depends.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Rumpy Tuna
    Nows a good time to buy stock in depends.
    You do have a point, Depends are great for wearing under a MOPP suit, therefore, you don't have to go through the 27 step process that is required to take a piss.

BTW.....thanks to Bill Clinton, I also know that its a 32 step process to change a womas tampon in MOPP 4

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This article is weak, but I imagine a future where your ass goes to Gitmo for pissing off the administration (any administration D. or R.) is not too far off. As a nation we don't dont value our constitution over our security. I'd rather live in a free society that has the occasional terrorist strike than an absolutely safe East Germany. I'm not saying we shouldn't prosecute the war on terror (whatever that means). I'm saying that we can do it and still operate under the pre-911 Constitution.

Protest the government's policies in the near future and you'll get an orange jump suit, a tropical dog kennel, and a copy of the Koran.

http://reviewjournal.printthis.click...&partnerID=565
    I am afraid that you are correct.

Registered
    May 2003
    Not as safe.

The rest of the world is wondering how to defend against an imperial America, rather than a benign superpower. That means more third world nukes. It also means that nations with advanced weapons programs may supply advanced weapons to client nations that will oppose the Imperium.

The war in Iraq has demonstrated where our military is weak, rather than leaving the impression that it is invincible. Other nations are undoubtedly redefining their military strategy in terms of American "weakness."

Defense against terrorism is best done by a broad coalition. By going it alone (sorry Britain, Australia, and others in the "coalition"), we have weakened the international network necessary to properly fight terrorism.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I'd say we're just as safe... But I'm not talking about you guys up there in the US...
    We here just get more mass media coverage of robberies and felonies, so people get scared and buy guns and put alarms and live obsessed about crime and turn paranoid.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 65
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 1:43 PM
  2. Replies: 60
    Last post: 31 Oct 2008, 4:36 PM
  3. Prediction Of Doom
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Feb 2006, 11:28 AM
  4. Football Prediction