Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need Regional Plan Comparisons

Need Regional Plan Comparisons

Hey all,
    I've really enjoyed loafing around the forums, but I'm needing some help. I'm in the first year of the (new) planning program at Temple U, near Philly. I'm looking for examples of strong regional planning that don't involve a single urban area. I'm looking at an area here that I think could gain tremendously from a stronger regional planning process, but can't find much in the way of comparisons. Most of what I've seen in print is a city and it's suburbs doing regional planning. I'm looking at an area with three small cities strung along a small river, with two major highways that parralel the river - the Lehigh valley, for anyone who knows the region. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Austin

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    you can check out our website... our county has several cities,, and large towns/villages, bordered by river and long island sound.

www.westchestergov.com .... look under planning the regional plan is called patterns.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The southeastern wisconsin regional planning commission has very good regional plans which cover multiple MSAs.

Here's their website

http://www.SEWRPC.org

In their documents section, its report #40 and its available for $15.00.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    So what your saying is you'd rather see statewide planning in PA or perhaps the DVRPC boundaries expanded even more?

So what your saying is you'd rather see statewide planning in PA or perhaps the DVRPC boundaries expanded even more?
    Not necessarily. I'm not sure that statewide planning is the best answer. I'm thinking more in terms of giving groups like DVRPC and specifically LVRPC more tools to put their planning into action, especially as concerns land use planning. My understanding is that their planning is basically just a recommendation, and that they don't have many carrots or sticks to offer local communities. Their level of influence varies with the relationship with the township/borough/city planners. I think that they have [I]some[I\] restrictive tools, such as being the gatekeeper for the TIP; but where are the incentives they can offer to muni's for working within their comp plan, the "What's in it for ME?"

Austin

Registered
    Dec 2001
    What I think you want to see is planning done the way it is in NJ. Where planning agencies can actually make policy decisions.

Planning agencies have no say in anything in PA. They are all advisory bodies, as I'm sure you are well aware. DVRPC recommendations do carry a little more weight because they shell out the money, but even then, the DVRPC Board is made up of reps from all the member jurisdictions so they have to be fair in some way.

Welcome to planning in PA. Don't get too frustrated with it

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not sure if you're interested in Australian examples, but here is a link to all New South Wales regional plans (known as Regional Environmental Plans). Use the drop down menu to have a look.

They do cover areas comprising more than one 'City' in law, though a couple have effect on limited areas only.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Don't have the links handy, but here are a few suggestions from Ontario.

Region of Peel - includes City of Mississauga, Brampton, and some smaller rural municipalities /towns. Good for urban fringe/suburbia type things

Niagara Region. St. Catherines, Niagara Falls etc. Farmland preservation, environmental protection.

National Capital Commission - Ottawa Hull. Interprovincial planning.

Hope those help.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    While they aren't technically MPO's, the National Park Service's Heritage Corridors might be a better example of what you're looking for. For example the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor Commission does a lot to promote and provide planning and funding in a bi-state area between Worcester, MA and Providence, RI. They don't have regulatory power, but they can provide more in funding, tourism promotion and other assistance. They're only on Congressionally declared "American Heritage Rivers" but how they operate is something that might be worth checking out.

Thanks All!!

You all are fantastic. Thanks for the great suggestions!
    Austin

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Oct 2007, 11:00 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 May 2005, 12:30 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 28 Apr 2004, 10:26 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Apr 2004, 9:21 AM
  5. Replies: 7