Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: McJob is officially a word

Registered
    Jul 2003

McJob is officially a word

Merriam-Webster has included the word "McJob" in the newest version of their dictionary. The word is defined as "a low-paying job that requires little skill and provides little opportunity for advancement." I guess "McWalMart my ass you're here to help the economy" was already taken for something else.
    Last edited by SlaveToTheGrind; 11 Nov 2003 at 6:17 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    That's an unusual McWord.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I thought Wal-Mart actually paid more than McDonalds with neither offering good benefits or hours. McDonalds has officially objected to the word.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by ludes98
    I thought Wal-Mart actually paid more than McDonalds with neither offering good benefits or hours. McDonalds has officially objected to the word.
    Gee, I was in GA this weekend and kept seeing commercials about a family whose son needed organ transplants, and how wonderful dad's employer, Wal-Mart, was in covering the medical expenses.

Is McDonald's also protesting McMansions?(even if it's not in the dictionary, it's gotta bug them...)

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I worked at McDonald's in high school, and all I can say is that it was McStupid! Thanks for all the free food and McDiaheria.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A friend worked at Burger King in high school when they had the "Have it Your Way" campaign. We tortured her by going in when she was really busy and making her sing the song. So, RT, you are only the second person I've known (others don't reveal the vile secret, I guess) who has worked fast food.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    So, RT, you are only the second person I've known (others don't reveal the vile secret, I guess) who has worked fast food.
    Yep for a while, actually I still work there. I'm just a deranged McEmployee who wishes they were doing something else (just kidding). Actually I've worked there, pizza places, bar/restaurants, and my favorite one day job, Mighty Taco!! I did all of these while going to school, and in between the dark period when I dropped out, before going back to school and getting the current job I have now. Man, some of the stories I have on these places, as well as some of the things that happened to me on the job would make you laugh and cry.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I worked 3 summers at a Pizza Hut, and it was like Peyton Place. What are your McEmployee stories?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I worked 3 summers at a Pizza Hut, and it was like Peyton Place. What are your McEmployee stories?
    Pizza Hut huh.Do you really want to know the McEmployee stories?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    HEE I worked 4 years at a now-defunct family restaurant. Maybe its defunct because one third shift the cook captured and deep fried a live McRat.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Where to start.... well what do you want to hear?
    Food stories that will make you cringe and laugh. Fun with employees that involve drinking and other illicet stuff. Fun with cash reg... lets not go there. Poop in the McPlayground. Grimus for a day, scarred for life (that sucked). Drivethrough one-liners. Your not 18, you can't do that, oh wait I'll turn around. Freezer folleys. Grease and school buses.....the list goes on and on. Pick one. I'll tell you more.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Lets start with Rumpys best Drive-Thru McOne-Liners.

Even though I haven't eaten fast food in 3 years, restaurant stories still gross me out.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Originally posted by Mike D.
    Lets start with Rumpys best Drive-Thru McOne-Liners.
    -All right here's one from a back woods hick (sorry back woods hicks) that wanted to buy a Tasmanian devil toy that was part of some promotion we had going on with the happy meals.
    Me- "Welcome to McDonalds, may I take your order."
    Back woods hick- "One McNugggets happy meal, with coke"
    Me- "Anything else?"
    Back woods hick- "You gus got any of 'em Manamals left?"
    Me-"I'm sorry, can you repeat that?"
    Back woods hick- "Manamals"
    Me- "Whats a manamal?"
    Car pulls around to window
    Back woods hick- "You seeling those manamals with the happy meals."
    Me- "Oh you mean you want a Tazmanian Devil?"
    Back woods hick- "Thats what I said, Manamal" as she holds up a doll.

Man some people are sure McStupid.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I heard that McDonald's plans to sue over that word.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Check out the McD Press Release

So the CEO claims that "Restaurant employees are proud of their jobs and recognize that restaurants are indeed gateways to opportunity, not to mention the paychecks they provide"

When is the last time that a McDonalds employee was proud of their job? Ok maybe the retired man that likes to work with the kids, but most employees at McDonalds are probably activly looking for work elsewhere. I worked at McDs for 1.5 years and I can tell you the only proud moments I had was when I stood my ground and refused to remove an earring and subsequently was suspended for a week. Or when I let my hair grow beyond collar-length and was sent home to get a haircut (I went skateboarding instead). Or when thy asked me of I wanted to get a promotion to "All American" and I turned them down when I found out it required studying a binder full of info and taking a test. However, my proudest moment was when I walked into my bossí office and quit. Face it, working at McDonalds sucks, and their food sucks too and that is why the word Mc is attached to all things crappy and bland.

Oh and I love their "proof" that McJob is not widely used - A google search.

Good luck suing a dictionary company.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I worked at the campus Taco Bell in my undergrad days. It beat washing dishes in the dining hall. I don't even really know if it could be considered a "true" fast food job, since all the other employees were college students as well as all the customers. It was actually a lot of fun.

However, after graduating with my masters, Rob and I were forced to get McJobs to supplement our professional planning incomes to repay our student loans. He worked at Blockbuster and I at Books a Million. Complete and total crappy jobs. However, we do miss the five free movie rentals a week.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Personally, I think the definition should include that the job is working for a corporate retail/service chain, which makes the job even more meaningless. Dead end jobs with low pay and few skilss covers about half the people in society.

Proud McDonalds alumni here for about 1.5 years. I officially worked for the "Cranston II" store. It was all I could get and my older brother worked there too. Although the job itself sucked - especially the customers - I had a great time there in general. I was suspended for a week for opening the drawer innapropriately to give someone their correct change (everyone did it, its not like I stole nothin').

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I think Mcmansion is also an officially recognized word now. I'm proud of our perverse capitalism's contributions to the English language. Is yuppie and dink (double income no kids) official nouns? Yuppie's probably been a word for years.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Word for the day
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 12 Mar 2009, 7:57 PM
  2. Officially I'm still in the US!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 28 Nov 2004, 3:12 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 12 Nov 2003, 11:02 AM