Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Word for the day (As inspired by the"McJob is officially a word" thread)

Registered
    Jul 2003

Word for the day (As inspired by the"McJob is officially a word" thread)

Okay folks, we've all come across some unusal or uncommonly used words. Indicate such a word and provide a definition, and keep it clean. I'll start:

Umlaut - "assimilation in which a vowel is influenced by a following vowel or semivowel." (The Random House Dictionary)
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Word for the day (As inspired by the"McJob is officially a word" thread)

Originally posted by Big Easy King
    Okay folks, we've all come across some unusal or uncommonly used words. Indicate such a word and provide a definition, and keep it clean. I'll start:

Umlaut - "assimilation in which a vowel is influenced by a following vowel or semivowel." (The Random House Dictionary)
    Use it in a sentence.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My fave is one you see frequently in zoning codes, but which normal people would never know: Elymosinary (spelling?, my home dictionary doesn't have it).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hereditament. Any item physical or not which may be inherited or passed by title.

"Developer shall dedicate all improvements, easements, rights of way, buildings and structures, related appurtenances, and hereditaments to City prior to release of building permits..."

Registered
    Jul 2003

Re: Re: Word for the day (As inspired by the"McJob is officially a word" thread)

Originally posted by Chet
    Use it in a sentence.
    The umlaut of vowels is influenced within the word "mouse" so that it's correctly transformed into its plural, "mice."
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

In German, "Umlaut" are the two small dots over vowels that change their sound, usually from short to long. I've never heard its use in English, but it is in my dictionary.

I agree with Churchill: "The old words are best and when short, better still". We are trying to use this idea in all of our staff reports, response letters, and so forth.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    My fave is one you see frequently in zoning codes, but which normal people would never know: Elymosinary (spelling?, my home dictionary doesn't have it).
    Zoning Goddess, is this the word you mean?

eleemosynary \eh-lih-MAH-sun-air-ee\ adjective: of, relating to, or supported by charity

It is one of my Dad's favorites.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Some of my favorite words.

smegma
    fop
    slaughter
    *****rdly
    cunilingous
    samovar
    fungo

The censored word means miserly or enimic. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it's set for automatic censorship, since it's often mistaken for a most infamous word in the United States, given our history.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    My favourite word of late is

Main Entry: at·a·vism
    Pronunciation: 'a-t&-"vi-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French atavisme, from Latin atavus ancestor, from at- (probably akin to atta daddy) + avus grandfather -- more at UNCLE
    Date: 1833
    1 a : recurrence in an organism of a trait or character typical of an ancestral form and usually due to genetic recombination b : recurrence of or reversion to a past style, manner, outlook, or approach <architectural atavism>
    2 : one that manifests atavism : THROWBACK
    - at·a·vis·tic /"a-t&-'vis-tik/ adjective
    - at·a·vis·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

It describes the great unwashed that I deal with every day, plus HST uses it like others use expletives.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 6:34 PM
  2. The Word "Walk" discriminatory????
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 07 Jul 2005, 12:30 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 21 Jan 2005, 12:32 AM
  4. McJob is officially a word
    Friday Afternoon Club