Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AIB: Wisconsin comp plan ... :Your dream planning enabling leg

Registered
    Sep 2001

AIB: Wisconsin comp plan ... :Your dream planning enabling leg

Having reviewed that thread and the comments in it and having been asked what we want in our "new" Planning Act.

If you where able to rewrite your planning enabling legislation what would you include, change or remove?

I'll provide a few starters

1) Change how we deal with and approve variances. Allowing staff to grant minor dimensional variances. It is really foolish to waste people's time for a variance of less than 6 inches in lot frontage. (Yes we've heard them)

2) Enforcement. Make it easier and a swifter process.

3) Change the appeal process and actually charge for it.

I've got tonnes more but that is a start.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    1) Provide a clearer distinction between site plan review and special use permits. If no such distinction is found or necessary, get rid of one of 'em!

2) Continue to keep comprehensive planning as permissive, but mandate consistancy of land use laws adopted post plan adoption with that plan!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Allow planners' decisions regarding land use and zoning matters to stay firm, without the final approval of the City Council. Appeals to those decisions can only be made to the City Council if there is proof that the planner did not base his/her decision on the regulations, guidelines, etc.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Give greater power to cities and villages, to make annexation easier and to give greater authority to enforce planning and zoning outside of their corporate limits (i.e., the unincorporated fringe).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Planderella
    Allow planners' decisions regarding land use and zoning matters to stay firm, without the final approval of the City Council. Appeals to those decisions can only be made to the City Council if there is proof that the planner did not base his/her decision on the regulations, guidelines, etc. [/QUOTE

WHAT?!? That's crazy power. Developers will all of a sudden be buying lunch for everyone in the planning department, like they do with the politicians.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    State level policies in Texas that need to change:

1. Ease process for annexation (it just got a little harder in Texas).

2. Increased planning tools for counties (zoning, etc.). Developers are capitalizing on the lack of restrictions in unincorporated areas.

3. Give the Councils of Government some real power

4. Hell, I live in Texas, I could go on forever!

Local stuff that needs to change:

1. Re-write pretty much all of the zoning and subdivision regulations. They were designed for a rural community, but they don't match future trends or the vibe I'm getting from the comprehensive plan committee about the future development.

2. New, better organized, more specific sign ordinance.

3. Ordinance requiring a "super-majority" vote of Council to overturn a P & Z Commission recommendation.

4. Again, I could keep going...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Jan 2004, 1:18 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Nov 2003, 12:57 PM
  4. Comp plan In Wisconsin
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Feb 2003, 12:40 PM