Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top Ten FUN Places.....

Registered
    Oct 2000

Top Ten FUN Places.....

Ok, now that you all know about my avowed love for New Glarus Wisconsin, what are your favorite fun towns? mine, in no order

Geneseo NY (sorry, i just really really love that town - the only place in the world that makes me cry with happiness just driving in)
    Any city that has ever hosted a geography conference I attended - Charlotte, NC, Fort Worth, TX
    Any city that has ever hosted a planning conference that I've attended - Myrtle Beach SC, Boston, MA
    Buffalo, NY (the 4am closing time almost did me in a couple times)
    NYC

and, of course, New Glarus.

Registered
    Oct 2001

No question...

New Orleans during Mardi Gras.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Of places I've lived or visited ...

1) Buffalo, New York -- 4:00 close, and the very dominant bar culture.
    2) Fort Collins, Colorado
    3) Denver, Colorado
    4) Las Vegas, Nevada
    5) Austin, Texas
    6) New Orleans, Louisiana
    7) Summit/Eagle Counties, Colorado
    8) Orlando, Florida (I-Drive/"touristy" areas)
    9) San Diego, California
    10) Chicago, Illinois
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 2001
    New Orleans during Jazz Fest
    Chicago in the summer
    Toronto, Ontario
    The small towns around Thunder Bay, Ontario
    Anywhere I go with my old rommate from college
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Telluride, Colorado

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!

The Good *******************

Manhattan, Kansas – A fun college town and very unpretentious.

Amsterdam, Holland - Drank beer and soaked up culture like it was nobody's business – and still passed the urinalysis upon my return to my Army unit. I am one of the few to enjoy this town with out the total Bob Marley experience.

Munich – Beer (bier) sausage, cheese, brochen and polka.

The Autobahn – before they let the East Germans free to go 40mph in a cotton body (no kidding the car body panels were made out of pressed Egyptian cotton and epoxy) car with 18 hp.

The Bad *******************

France – nuff said?

Branson, Missouri – Ned Flanders running a C&W oriented schmarmie hell on earth with bad traffic planning!

Bahrain – Sure you can drink, but you are still in the Middle East.

Prince Georges County, Maryland – 30 miles from DC – 100 years back in time.

Islamabad, Pakistan – All Allah – All the time – Home of the International Infidel Effigy Burning Contest – With shows daily at 10:00 1:00 and 3:00!

The Ugly *******************

Dakar Senegal – Imagine an open sewer in a country full of people with amoebic dysentery - then imagine it can get worse.

Southeast Iraq – Sucks doesn’t do it justice. Saudi Arabia was nice in comparison.

Bogotá Columbia – Sucks and is dangerous. Tell them you’re with the US government for fun.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    El Guapo - If you're going out to Chicago for the conference, I would HIGHLY recommend a side trip to New Glarus for bier, sausage, cheese and polka. Maybe an hour away? It does indeed sound like your paradise.

Registered
    Oct 2001

I wish I could!

I don't get to go to APA this year. However, I have formed entire vacations around Beer, Cheese, Sausage, and Polka before. I just need to convince the family - and put my cardiologist on standby.

Recommendation: If you are ever near Bavaria - Andechs Monastery - Wicked Fun and beer to die for - especially if you drive back down the mountain after 2 (1 litre) of them.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: I wish I could!

El Guapo wrote:
    Recommendation: If you are ever near Bavaria - Andechs Monastery - Wicked Fun and beer to die for - especially if you drive back down the mountain after 2 of them.
    Why does the word "careen" come to mind when I read that?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Monocular Vision

I am ashamed to admit it (Really) - but in my youth I drove once or twice in that quasi state between alcohol induced coma and sober where only one eye would focus. My drinking buds called it taking the red-eye home. No damage ever resulted from these unlawful and stupid acts -luckily. Depth perception did indeed suffer. My apologies to the EU and the UK.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Monocular Vision

El Guapo wrote:
    I am ashamed to admit it (Really) - but in my youth I drove once or twice in that quasi state between alcohol induced coma and sober where only one eye would focus.
    Just drive straight between the two lines...

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!

El Guapo wrote:
    The Autobahn – before they let the East Germans free to go 40mph in a cotton body (no kidding the car body panels were made out of pressed Egyptian cotton and epoxy) car with 18 hp.
    Something like this perhaps?

(My college roommate's Trabbi from his year in Deutschland...apologies to Brian fro swiping these off his website )
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001

Du Hast Eine Trabbi?

Sweet Joe Stalin! That's a Trabbi! - The only car on earth that aspires to grow up to be a Yugo or Fiat 160! The term POS was coined by a Trabant Owner. I have a little East German version of a Matchbox Trabbi in that very color. Have you ever seen one burn? They smell like old jeans and paint burning. Every now and then we would come upon one burning on the side of the road. The owner was out 187DM.

Know any Trabbi Jokes?

Is that a Kaiserslautern Plate?

I bet he got a serious talking too by his land lady after these photos were taken - It is a cardinal sin to place a car on a grass surface in Germany.

Thanks, I was missing Germany.

Alles in Ordnung!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    New Glarus is on the way (well, one way) from Chicago to Madison, my favorite place. Sit on the Memorial Union Terrace on the shore of Lake Mendota on a summer night, drinking New Glarus Brewery's Spotted Cow and listening to good live music, and you'll know why people with PhD's will do anything to live there. Seriously, I knew an attorney who worked retail for two years.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: Du Hast Eine Trabbi?

El Guapo wrote:
    Sweet Joe Stalin! That's a Trabbi! - The only car on earth that aspires to grow up to be a Yugo or Fiat 160! The term POS was coined by a Trabant Owner. I have a little East German version of a Matchbox Trabbi in that very color. Have you ever seen one burn? They smell like old jeans and paint burning. Every now and then we would come upon one burning on the side of the road. The owner was out 187DM.

Know any Trabbi Jokes?

Is that a Kaiserslautern Plate?

I bet he got a serious talking too by his land lady after these photos were taken - It is a cardinal sin to place a car on a grass surface in Germany.

Thanks, I was missing Germany.

Alles in Ordnung!
    Kein Problem.

Ich bin ich könnte bei Ihren Speichern von Deutschland heraus helfen froh.

Ich habe nie ein Trabbi in der Person gesehen, aber ich stelle vor mich, daß es ein Anblick zum Sehen meines 300-Pfund-ehemaligen Zimmergenossehilfsmittels um Kassel in seinem war.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001

Bitte.

Kein Problem. Ich habe wirklich meine Zeit im großen d genossen. Es war ein wunderbarer Ort und den ich fühle zu Hause dort. Aber ich habe Treiben mit den Autos auf der Straße gehaßt.

Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: Bitte.

El Guapo wrote:
    Kein Problem. Ich habe wirklich meine Zeit im großen d genossen. Es war ein wunderbarer Ort und den ich fühle zu Hause dort. Aber ich habe Treiben mit den Autos auf der Straße gehaßt.
    I'm quite jealous...I haven't been over there yet. Someday....if I can convince the soon-to-be wife to go with me.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Huh huh huh ... huh huh huh huh ... huh
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

The only matchbox worth more than the actual car.

Behold!

Registered
    Aug 2001

why stop at ten?

Kelly I think your thread has been hijacked!
    Ausfahrt - for sure
    Kein problem ich bin schmiddly schmick

Cyburbia is at the top of my fun list!

Registered
    Apr 1996

Re: why stop at ten?

Jen wrote:
    Kelly I think your thread has been hijacked!
    Ausfahrt - for sure
    Kein problem ich bin schmiddly schmick

Cyburbia is at the top of my fun list!
    My fault on the hijack....I just saw a great opportunity to get El Guapo going.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Back on the meds!

How often do I get a chance to talk about Soviet Autos - like never! Sorry.

I just get a kick outta communisim's consumer products.

BACK TO FUN PLACES

Registered
    Aug 2001

Is Ithaca Gorges?

My planned family reunion out east is starting to look a lot more fun!

We've committed to spending a weekend in Lancaster Pa to fraternize with east coast relatives. Normally I would not drive all that way to hang out in Amish country! But since I havent been in the area for decades we are looking forward to the road trip and reunion. Especially since we've added a second leg on to the adventure! Heading north to the Finger Lakes region!! WooHoo Going to a festival outside Ithaca. Fun place, yah?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Jen, would that be the Grassroots Festival? Isn't that in Trumansburg? Ithaca is such a great town - home of hte Moosewood Restaurant (for all you vegetarian planners).

Registered
    May 1997
    Madison isn't THAT nice. But it is close to New Glarus … Branson IS THAT BAD. Manhattan is more fun than most folks would think. I thought Howard County was worse than Prince Georges … I break out in hives if I have to be in Las Vegas, NV (Las Vegas, NM is a great place) any longer than it takes to drive from McCarran to the edge of town. Those of us who lived in Wyoming when the drinking age in Colorado was 18 used to call Fort Collins "Fort Fun" and it still is, despite the rapid growth. Denver can be a fun city, too. Rapid growth and all the accompanying ills have taken most of the fun out of Summit County for those of who remember it two decades ago. They even have a kinko's in Dillon now …

Some additions to the list:

for visitors at least (I wouldn't live there): San Antonio, TX

Red Lodge, Montana

Bandon, Oregon (Eugene is a good runner-up in Oregon)

Winthrop, WA

McCall, ID, if you can catch before it grows too much more … 

Baltimore, MD, which I find to have the best balance of tourist attractions and real urban life of any large city I have visited

Pagosa Springs, CO, again if you can catch it before it grows too much more

Santa Fe, NM (especially for planners who get off on narrow streets)

Sea Isle City, NJ

I will not reveal the name or location of the fun place I live.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    KMateja wrote:
    Jen, would that be the Grassroots Festival? Isn't that in Trumansburg? Ithaca is such a great town - home of hte Moosewood Restaurant (for all you vegetarian planners).
    Yes that would be the spot - Of course now I have to provide a link www.grassrootsfest.org and I do have an ancient Moosewood cookbook too. Best brownie recipe ever! We have never been to grassroots or to that part of NY. In July we are usually at www.blissfest.org in northern michigan so this gig sounds very similar. We have a few days to get there so we'll be touring your neck of the woods!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Oh, the places you'll go...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 67
    Last post: 06 Mar 2008, 11:02 AM
  2. 28 Places To See Before You Die
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 65
    Last post: 16 Jan 2008, 6:08 PM
  3. Replies: 2