Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Online dating?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Jessie-J
    Last night was fun. He's easy to persuade. Let's just say that things had to be stopped before they got out of control.
    What's "out of control"? Did it involve power tools, bacon grease, and lots of leather?

(Not that I've ever been out of control...)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    so....about online dating.....

I posted my pic at hot or not and got a 7.8 with one pic and a 6.4 with another. Haven't met anyone through that, but I don't think I will. All the guys on there have their shirts off to show off their bods in the pics....I'm thinking I'll stay clear of that...

Ok, now, what do I do about the guy from last night at this point?

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Online dating is a funny thing.

if you are young and want to meet lots of people, something fun to do is friendster.com, you register and then get your friends to register and they meet people online and in real life and register with them and a wide web of relations is established, like 6 degrees of separation. It is completely free. They bill it as sort of a dating site, but really, it seems to just work out to be a place where you meet old friends who you haven't been in touch with for awhile. Thats how it seems to happen with me and my friends. This could change some social situations, and bring you off your normal beaten path, which is a good thing when looking for dates.

Another very interesting development is the sims online, an online video game put out by maxis. There is a small monthly subscription fee. Yes, it is a video game, but it is played by a very wide variety of age ranges and both sexes. If you are interested in meeting someone online with a good personality, this is a good place. You control a simulated character who has no real duties or goals except to have fun, make money, meet people and develop your character. You get to meet people, hang out and do activities with them, while having online conversations, about whatever, ones self, location, ones job, the sim task your character is doing, all sorts of things. Its really cool, and surprisingly easy to meet people. You can make friends and become lovers and even get married in the game with anybody else who is playing. This can lead to nice real world relationships because one has already chatted a lot together and done some activities together.

I don't know really how accurate my reccomendations may be because I have never actually got into a relationship myself this way, but it seems like it could work. In any case, these two services offer an interesting and fun alternative to online dating.

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I hate forwards, so I'll retitle it to fit one of Cyburbia's enduring inside jokes.

Dutch Womens' Rugby Player Association
    Guide to Deciphering Personals Ads

STRONG, BEAUTIFUL, INDEPENDENT WOMYNS' ADS

40-ish................. mature and aware of her womynhood.

Adventurer............. not bound by patriarchal rules of 'monogamy' meant to enslave womyn.

Athletic............... proud and strong, not displaying excessively large secondary sex characteristics to satisfy a patriarchal definition of 'beauty.'

Average looking........ as judged by your subjective and irrelevant standards of beauty.

Beautiful.............. a sister who is not yet aware that she is reinforcing subjective and irrelevant standards of beauty. Bitch.

Contagious Smile....... forced to appease the patriarchy with false mirth.

Educated............... B.A. in womyn's studies/herstory.

Emotionally Secure..... a male-centric definition in which suppression of emotion is considered the "correct" state of being.

Feminist............... you go, grrrl!

Free spirit............ sister who has cast off the chains of patriarchy to serve the Goddess, Ovum-Gaia.

Friendship first....... a sister who resists the patriarchal overlords who will consign her to the chattel role of breeder/mother.

Fun.................... an Anarcho-Surrealist-Insurrectionary-Feminist, who wishes to smash the 'man'-made chains of the capitalist, sexist, racist, ageist, class divided society, but is willing to go out for coffee.

Gentle................. a Poststructuralist-Feminist, who doesn't consider herself a gendeRevolutionary.

Good listener.......... a sister whose authentic experiential voice is silenced by the constructivist-empirical-industrial complex.

New age................ finding the inner Idyllic Goddess and avoiding the patriarchal chains of the razor.

Old-fashioned.......... a sister who comes to true understanding of the Goddess and Hir works through reimaging the Womyn of the Bible

BODY-OBJECTIFYING, DOMESTIC SLAVERY-SUPPORTING, SEXUALLY COERCIVE, ANARCHO-MISOGYNISTIC MALE ADS

40-ish................ pig.

Athletic.............. pig.

Average looking....... pig.

Educated.............. pig.

Free spirit........... pig.

Friendship first...... pig.

Fun................... pig.

Good looking.......... pig.

Very good looking..... pig.

Honest................ pig.

Huggable.............. pig.

Likes to cuddle....... pig.

Mature................ pig.

Open-minded........... pig.

Physically fit........ pig.

Poet.................. pig.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Originally posted by Cullen
    Another very interesting development is the sims online, an online video game put out by maxis. There is a small monthly subscription fee. Yes, it is a video game, but it is played by a very wide variety of age ranges and both sexes. If you are interested in meeting someone online with a good personality, this is a good place. You control a simulated character who has no real duties or goals except to have fun, make money, meet people and develop your character. You get to meet people, hang out and do activities with them, while having online conversations, about whatever, ones self, location, ones job, the sim task your character is doing, all sorts of things. Its really cool, and surprisingly easy to meet people. You can make friends and become lovers and even get married in the game with anybody else who is playing. This can lead to nice real world relationships because one has already chatted a lot together and done some activities together.
    AFAIK Cullen, The Sims Online was a total fiasco. New commers to the game get bored quickly, because to win money they have to work a lot in an excesively overocupated market (You're doomed to failure if you start a Pizza parlor), hence making a great majority of the "characters" poor, which obviously bums people, and some even are begging for money or food inside the game (lots of fun! One thing is emulating reality, another is copying reality). The rich people that got in first always keeo winning money and the top places are basically the only ones visited.
    That's at least what I've heard of that game...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by Jessie-J
    so....about online dating.....

I posted my pic at hot or not and got a 7.8 with one pic and a 6.4 with another.
    I wouldn't pay attention to hot or not ... you have a....holes like me who give everyone a 1, especially the supermodel types. Normal girls I tend to give a fair rating to though.

Registered
    Feb 2000

Dipping

So, since I'm entering a state of mutual 6 month separation from my spouse beginning on Monday, should I dip my toe or other body part into the on-line primordial dating stew? What is an aging stocky thrasher to do?

I'm listening to "Starstorm" by UFO and loving it. Does anyone else in the world even know who UFO are? I am the embodiment of the Anti-hip. Advice? PM if you want to be brutally honest.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Originally posted by Dan
    I hate forwards, so I'll retitle it to fit one of Cyburbia's enduring inside jokes.
    New age................ finding the inner Idyllic Goddess and avoiding the patriarchal chains of the razor.
    Let me just say that this anomaly does not apply to ALL goddesses...

Registered
    Feb 2004

Rebirth of online dating thread

In strict adherance with Cyburbia guidelines, I am reviving an older thread instead of starting a new one on the same topic.

It's almost 2006 and I'm guessing the universe of online dating has changed considerably since 2003.

What general advice would you give to a divorced 20-something woman (obviously, I'm not asking for my sake) who's looking to explore the big bad world of on-line dating? How best to 'sell' oneself and how best to avoid scummy guys?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    In strict adherance with Cyburbia guidelines, I am reviving an older thread instead of starting a new one on the same topic.

It's almost 2006 and I'm guessing the universe of online dating has changed considerably since 2003.

What general advice would you give to a divorced 20-something woman (obviously, I'm not asking for my sake) who's looking to explore the big bad world of on-line dating? How best to 'sell' oneself and how best to avoid scummy guys?
    Well, I'm not into it anymore, but I guess it's as before... since your person there is (probably) in her late 20's, I'd sugest exploring Online Boards and communities like this but of her own interests, besides the typical MSN, AIM, whatever other IM program she wants...

A small advice is to avoid the desperate options like match-making sites... IMHO that just atracts creeps...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Online should be an opportunity to meet new people. I would say that success is maybe 2%. But, she meets a 50 possible people, then it raises the odds quite a bit, but it is not the first place that I would suggest meeting people. Instead, go into an environment that is rich in numbers of people with similar interests.

1. Take a night or afternoon class at a local college or university. She is in her mid 20’s and the average age of a University student is 26... it will be ok. If possible, she should do a lot of reading at the campus library in a section that interests her. If she finds a topic interesting, someone who is taking classes and is also interested in the same topic will probably also be there. Places such as coffeehouses that surround the campus will also be full of people, most of which will be single.
    2. Attend a young adults group at a local place of religious standing. Many churches, regardless of religion will have groups for socializing. She may need to travel past several institutions that might have such groups to get to one that has the desired demographic characteristic.
    3. Join a group or gym. Civic groups, volunteer opportunities, and gyms are great places to meet other people. If joining a civic group, she should sign up to help out with some type of fundraiser or activity that is of interest to her. By doing that, she will have the opportunity to meet others who have the same frame of mind.

If going on line, have her post a real picture, be very honest, and be open to the possibility that the person might be from another community, up to 100 miles away.

Additionally I would recommend this book.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I met my current girlfriend (and probably future wife) on the internet. It wasn't so much a dating website and I wasn't activly looking and neither was she, but she saw my pic and just said I had a nice smile and it started with that just about a year ago (December 10th).

The most important things about "dating" online is lots of pictures, the good and the bad ones... Be honest about everything, don't lie because if you ever meet it'll be found out... and talk on the phone when you are ready and talk a lot, about everything. We talked online since last December and on the phone from Valentines Day 2005 till we finally met in July 7th 2005... and it's been great so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	us.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	3401

Registered
    Nov 2002
    As an aside, is the gym really a good place to meet people? I think of the gym as a place where women don't want to bother with guys hitting on them. I never see strangers talk to eachother at the gym. I'm not looking to pick up girls, I'm just sayin'.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    As an aside, is the gym really a good place to meet people? I think of the gym as a place where women don't want to bother with guys hitting on them. I never see strangers talk to eachother at the gym. I'm not looking to pick up girls, I'm just sayin'.
    Agreed..the gym is about the last place I would want to talk to a guy; I am sweaty, tired, hair a mess, etc...not sure where I do want to meet guys but the gym is not the place (IMO)

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Agreed..the gym is about the last place I would want to talk to a guy; I am sweaty, tired, hair a mess, etc...not sure where I do want to meet guys but the gym is not the place (IMO)

I also agree with this....... I got sick of guys who think that they are buff and gods gift to women cause they work out, thinking that, that gives them the right to perve on you and hit on you at the gym till the point where i am too scared and frustrated to go back!

If i want to go to the gym, i dont want to be getting picked up/perved on by guys... i just want to workout!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    That is a good and common question.

It can be a great place to meet people. The biggest thing is to talk to people and network. I would not suggest talking to someone in the middle of a bench press, but for weight lifting, you have to rest at least a little between sets. Additionally, there is nothing wrong with talking briefly while on the cardo equipment as long as either of you are not out of breath.

Another big thing is to think outside of the box as to whom you might talk to. It is important to remember that regardless if they are a guy or a girl, almost everyone knows someone who is single. So become friends with both guys and girls. Not only might you get a friend to work out with (heck if both of you are going to the gym at the same time) and you might end up on a date with a friend of his.

Finally there is also the staff. It is amazing that not only are many of the people who work at a gym are very fit, many times they are also very nice. Some of the best dates I have ever been on were with girls who taught an aerobics class, a palate’s class or just worked at the front desk.

It is all about being social, interactive, and utilizing everything in your environment to achieve your desired result.

So if a guy thought that you where attractive when you where not all dolled up, that would be bad. I also think that if a guy was interested in a girl that had put no effort into her hair or makeup, and still thought that she was attractive, that would be a good thing. Even more so with the girl knowing how impressed the guy will be when she is in a little black dress with her hair and makeup all done up.

I think that it is a great way to see if women are naturally attractive, or if it is just because of a bunch of makeup that they put on.

Quote Originally posted by natski
    I also agree with this....... I got sick of guys who think that they are buff and gods gift to women cause they work out, thinking that, that gives them the right to perve on you and hit on you at the gym till the point where i am too scared and frustrated to go back!

If i want to go to the gym, i dont want to be getting picked up/perved on by guys... i just want to workout!
    I agree that some guys at the gym can be jerks. Those give many of us a bad rep. But if some guy who was fit and polite was nice to you, and asked you your name, would you be a stuck up B*&*^# or would you start a conversation with him?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    But if some guy who was fit and polite was nice to you, and asked you your name, would you be a stuck up B*&*^# or would you start a conversation with him?
    Not that I'm in the market anymore...but, does the guy have to be "fit"?? Can't he just be another gym user? We're not all fixated on body types.

So if you were at the gym and a woman with no makeup and who was not "fit" hit on you, would you be a stuck up B##stard or would you start a conversation with her?

Same as if you were at work, the library, a bookstore, a supermarket, the mall, etc.; if you don't invite someone's advances, you're a b@tch??? How about we have a life, boyfriend, etc??

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    So if you were at the gym and a woman with no makeup and who was not "fit" hit on you, would you be a stuck up B##stard or would you start a conversation with her?
    It's best if the men of cyburbia don't answer this.

In the alternative they can lie, of course. There's always lying.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    It's best if the men of cyburbia don't answer this.

In the alternative they can lie, of course. There's always lying.
    You've gotten a lot funnier than when you started on Cyburbia. Thumbs up!

I think that it is a great way to see if women are naturally attractive, or if it is just because of a bunch of makeup that they put on.
    Like all you guys are perfect from the git go. Sheesh. If you have 1/2 a brain you are attracted to the person, not what goes on under the makeup. Let's play "I'll be shallow".
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 30 Nov 2005 at 8:35 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2005

I agree that some guys at the gym can be jerks. Those give many of us a bad rep. But if some guy who was fit and polite was nice to you, and asked you your name, would you be a stuck up B*&*^# or would you start a conversation with him?
    Well i guess it would all be in the approach- if he came over (not strut over) and seemed genuinely interested- i would not be rude at all- thats just plain mean- considering the guy prob spent his whole workout considering whether to approach me or not!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    That did happen to me, and we ended up seeing each other for a few months when I was in college. She was not "fit" but she was still very attractive and had an amazingly interactive personality. It did not matter what the situation was, she was always up beat and always cheered up the whole room. Things did not work out because we both wanted to go very different directions in our lives.

Same as if you were at work, the library, a bookstore, a supermarket, the mall, etc.; if you don't invite someone's advances, you're a b@tch??? How about we have a life, boyfriend, etc??
    In that case they should be honest and genuine. If she said something like, “thank you, but I am already seeing someone” or “thank you for the offer” (to go out for lunch, coffee, or something) “but I am not interested. I to appreciate the offer though.” Being polite and honest can work wonders for turning someone down.

Both are very good questions and the it shows that there is a misunderstanding between what many guys expect. When it comes down to it all, being honest and open-minded is the bast option for both sexes.

Registered
    Mar 2005

IRL/Online Question....

OK. What if you met the guy in person first (friend of a friend from out of town), and now he's gone. Do I try to start a relationship online or over the phone with him from 1000 miles away, or do I just chalk it up to another cool guy who's not for me - because of the distance? (Problem is that we saw each other 4x in the week he was here, but we didn't establish if we liked each other or not because most of the settings were group things.)
    How do I continue? Or do I just leave it alone and say hello next time he's in town??
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    OK. What if you met the guy in person first (friend of a friend from out of town), and now he's gone. Do I try to start a relationship online or over the phone with him from 1000 miles away, or do I just chalk it up to another cool guy who's not for me - because of the distance? (Problem is that we saw each other 4x in the week he was here, but we didn't establish if we liked each other or not because most of the settings were group things.)
    How do I continue? Or do I just leave it alone and say hello next time he's in town??
    This is just my opinion and I am sure many others here will disagree. I think long distance relationships are hard and not worth the effort unless one is willing to relocate at some point. The same thing sort of happened to me last year, I went to Florida to see a friend that had moved out there, we got very close and I didn't want to come home. We emailed and talked on the phone for about 2 months but it was going no where, we both knew it. Chalked it up to a great week and remain close friends. He comes in town for holidays and stuff but thats about it.
    So I would leave it alone and say "hey" next time he's in town....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    This is just my opinion and I am sure many others here will disagree. I think long distance relationships are hard and not worth the effort unless one is willing to relocate at some point.....
    Well, the one time we did get to spend just the 2 of us, he told me why he loved living where he does. Honestly, I'm not sure what expression was written on my face at that point, but he then told me that he loves where I live and could easily see himself settling down in this area. Since then, in an email, he told me that sometimes it's hard not being in one place all the time (I had told him I was envious of all the traveling he does).
    But I definately see your point about long distance relationships. That's why I'm not sure if I want to persue anything. UGH.....
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner...
    This happened to a good friend of mine - she reconnected to her high school via email, and they are now married! But, I agree with Jax, that one or both of you will have to want to relocate at some point. There's no harm in talking to him!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Dating Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1611
    Last post: 24 Dec 2014, 10:10 PM
  2. The Dating Rules thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 24 Apr 2013, 4:04 PM
  3. Difficult dating